Portable file icons

Features wanted...
serendipity

Re: Portable file icons

Post by serendipity »

admin wrote:
serendipity wrote:
Marco wrote:
serendipity wrote:Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, does XY allow changing the standard toolbar icons? I mean the standard set, not user buttons. I know I can make my own button that looks like standard button. But I miss a lot of functionality of standard buttons, such as contextual tooltips, button state, combination of right click and drop down menu( i. e. Button "back", 2; and button "back", 8; combined).
Nope, unless you're ok with hacking the exe by yourself.
OK thanks. I don't know how to hack exe, do you? and is it legal? don't know if Don is OK with that?
I don't mind if you play russian roulette with your computer. :mrgreen: (Do you really find the icons so ugly to go so far?)
No, the icons are great especially with the fatcow icons mentioned recently they gel very well. I am just asking because I have other icon packs which dont play too well with current set. But you might be right, its not too bad, example here:
2013-05-03_105124.png
2013-05-03_105124.png (28.09 KiB) Viewed 2511 times

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

admin wrote:No such plans ATM.
OK, thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Regmos wrote:A bit off topic, but anyway..

It seems that someone has been peeping over your shoulder :biggrin:

http://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/ ... -4781.html
LOL, no comment. :biggrin:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

FluxTorpedoe wrote:[@Filehero & others
Here's a mini pack - nothing fancy. For the playful-seeking spirits, you'd rather use the already mentioned colorful series of Fatcow or OpenIconLibrary.
It sure doesn't look like it, but I spent an indecent amount of time just to get 3 usable tints... and I'm still not really satisfied. :( (And I finally gave up to saturation.)
FXT_Folder_Icons.png
See this link for the images: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 369#p85369

Hey, FluxTorpedoe, you don't have also the open state icons of this nice set? I totally like the plain blue, green, and orange XP-style icons. (Of course, pink would be cool, too :mrgreen: ) :whistle:

Marco

Post by Marco »

admin wrote:
Marco wrote:Afaics "Use generic icons for super-fast browsing" overrides CFI, but only in List. I guess it's a little inconsistent, the option should override CFI everywhere or it shouldn't override it at all.
I'd rather it not overriding CFI because I see, with generic icons off, a delay in painting folder icons in List similar to the (dreaded) delay experienced when browsing a folder full of exe's (but still with AV disabled).
Ftr, I simply have some CFI's in the form

Code: Select all

C:\path\folder\ /r>icon
Oh yes, there is a small inconsistency. I'll check that...
12.40.0003 fixes this :D
Browsing with generic icons plus your own custom icons is now eye-cathing, mind-and-hair-blowing fast!!! :biggrin:
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marco wrote:Browsing with generic icons plus your own custom icons is now eye-cathing, mind-and-hair-blowing fast!!! :biggrin:
:biggrin:

I'm myself pretty overwhelmed beyond my own expectations (even on non-generic browsing -- no speed loss notable due to CFI). Dealing with files has become a different experience since CFI. Much easier, safer, enjoyable. Like a new good operating system (last time this happened to me when I upgraded from Win95 to XP).

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

admin wrote:
Marco wrote:Browsing with generic icons plus your own custom icons is now eye-cathing, mind-and-hair-blowing fast!!! :biggrin:
:biggrin:

I'm myself pretty overwhelmed beyond my own expectations (even on non-generic browsing -- no speed loss notable due to CFI). Dealing with files has become a different experience since CFI. Much easier, safer, enjoyable. Like a new good operating system (last time this happened to me when I upgraded from Win95 to XP).
Totally agree, I am kind of shocked how there is no loss in speed.
It was always fun to work with XY but now with its fresh look it feels great. Just in time for summer!

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Oooh! I never thought about that! Going to try it tonight!

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

admin wrote:Hey, FluxTorpedoe, you don't have also the open state icons of this nice set? I totally like the plain blue, green, and orange XP-style icons. (Of course, pink would be cool, too )
Well, considering your commitment, that's the least I could do as a happy user! :)
FXT_FolderXP_Icons.png
FXT_FolderXP_Icons.png (6.56 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
Notes:
- As for the Win7 set, I've changed the naming scheme with _o for open and _c for closed, (C for Color and CB for ColorBackground)
- I tried to keep the pinky one on par with the others.
(btw trying to rediscover the same tints was a real PITA! :P At least for the Win7 set I'd marked down all the values!)
FXT_FolderXP_Icons.zip
(107.91 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
---------

Re: Speed
Marco wrote:Browsing with generic icons plus your own custom icons is now eye-cathing, mind-and-hair-blowing fast
I tried it on a 'puter slow enough to notice things, and here's an curiosity (or not?).
In a folder (e.g. ProgramFiles) containing 150+ folders and no files, with a generic CFI "Drive:\*\" (w/ or w/o /d) mapping, but no other CFI or desktop.ini:
- Generic Icons OFF: Moving the scrollbar quickly to the right > ~1.5 secs to display custom icons.
- Generic Icons ON: Moving the scrollbar quickly to the right > ~0 sec to display custom icons.

With the exact same visuals in both cases, where's such a noticeable difference coming from... ? Or, more interestingly,
:arrow: Maybe there's a way to further optimize the build-up speed of folder icons?

:)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

FluxTorpedoe wrote:
admin wrote:Hey, FluxTorpedoe, you don't have also the open state icons of this nice set? I totally like the plain blue, green, and orange XP-style icons. (Of course, pink would be cool, too )
Well, considering your commitment, that's the least I could do as a happy user! :)
FXT_FolderXP_Icons.png
Notes:
- As for the Win7 set, I've changed the naming scheme with _o for open and _c for closed, (C for Color and CB for ColorBackground)
- I tried to keep the pinky one on par with the others.
(btw trying to rediscover the same tints was a real PITA! :P At least for the Win7 set I'd marked down all the values!)
Thanks, man! :appl: I'll use them in the screenshots for the next release notes.

Speed: The bottleneck here is the shell API to get the specific folder icons. Not under my control.

Marco

Post by Marco »

@FluxTorpedoe
Beautiful icons! :appl:

Speed:that's exactly what I discovered. XY first gets the real icon and then applies the CFI in case of generic off. My observation is: shouldn't CFI come "logically" first?
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

Regmos

Post by Regmos »

Marco wrote:@FluxTorpedoe
So nice they deserve a little box :) (using way to much time on this).
XY_box.png
XY_box.png (140.71 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
Boxes.zip
(250.02 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Kind regards
Regmos

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

XYplorer, turns grown up men into children. :mrgreen:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Speed:that's exactly what I discovered. XY first gets the real icon and then applies the CFI in case of generic off. My observation is: shouldn't CFI come "logically" first?
Yes, but there is a little problem: Since patterns might need to respect (switch /d) folders customized by system (desktop.ini), I first need to get the system icon to know what it is.

Nevertheless I'm currrently testing out some ideas I had for further speed up...

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

admin wrote:

Yes, but there is a little problem: Since patterns might need to respect (switch /d) folders customized by system (desktop.ini), I first need to get the system icon to know what it is.

Nevertheless I'm currrently testing out some ideas I had for further speed up...
In that case I would ditch the desktop.ini functionality completely within XY
or
make it a user choice between desktop.ini and PFI (i.e. not both)
or
have an option to switch it off.

1. It would speed up list browsing.
2. If the user really needs to see a system assigned desktop.ini icon in XY they can just reference it with PFI.
[Lists of system icon locations could be posted to the forum for each version of the OS and users could just paste the entries they want into the PFI list]
3. Any other user created desktop.ini files (for viewing custom icons outside of XY) are likely to duplicate PFI entries anyway.

Also regarding speed, is there a much of a boost to be gained by
1. using smaller icons (i.e. without 256x256 size and/or less color depth)
2. referencing individual ico file rather than icons embedded within icl libraries or (sometimes huge) application binaries?