Highlight directory in tree on hover in full row select mode

Features wanted...
tedy

Highlight directory in tree on hover in full row select mode

Post by tedy »

Hi.
I was just thinking.. When the Full Row Select option for the tree is turned on (in Tools - Customize tree menu), an on_mouse_over slight highlighting (a different background?) of the directory under the cursor would be nice as a visual clue which directory would be selected should I have clicked the left button to select a directory in the tree.
As it is now, it is hard to know exactly which directory would be selected if I clicked somewhere in the far right empty space in the tree (which normally happens to be the cause to turn on full_row_select in the first place anyway).
This is a small issue but can have big effect on people using full row select tree, for even faster and unembarrassed navigation.
I feel a bit awkward to bring attention to such a small thing after all the millions of useful things and features in XY not found anywhere else, but the goal is to make it even better :) .

admin
Site Admin

Re: Highlight directory in tree on hover in full row select

Post by admin »

I like the idea. It has become kind of standard anyway since Win7.

Marco

Post by Marco »

Btw, this highlight on hover applies to List too in WE...
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marco wrote:Btw, this highlight on hover applies to List too in WE...
True, but in the Tree it makes more sense. In the List it feels like bloat to me.

tedy

Post by tedy »

I agree, in the list it is perfect as it is now, no need to on_hover highlight the items. In the list you have the choice for full_row_select as well and in this case it would make sense. Also in the list you have many choices for grid, zebra stripping... (whereas in the tree you don't and not needed there). But I like the no_full_row_select in the list, and no highlight. In WE this distracts and it is cumbersome to know when a click would select the item, when not, and the useful free area for right click menu is limited to the pixels at far right you would otherwise have left when sizing your list columns.
I'm glad you like the idea :) .

tedy

Post by tedy »

Hi, any progress with this?
I dare say the "full row select" option in the tree is almost pointless if you can't visually pinpoint the folder you're about to select no matter the cursor position in the tree area. Most folder names are short and positioned at far left in the tree area and the blank space on the right is about 450-500 pixels. My tree is about 550px wide (to allow for long paths with minimal chance for horizontal scrollbar). Even with the fullrowselect, I tend to always click on the folder name itself.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yeah, that's an extremely wide tree. As I as said it's planned. Among other things. :)

tedy

Re: Highlight directory in tree on hover in full row select mode

Post by tedy »

Any progress 6 years later? :)
I still think this is a small but very nice usability feature. If at least it is easy to implement.
A "trail" of different background on_hover color make very easier to pinpoint what folder will be selected when you click in the tree area.

Leito

Post by Leito »

:tup:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree. But:

1) Need to find the time...
2) ... a lot of time, since it is trrrrricky. I first attempt failed miserably: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17140