Clickable breadcrumbs.

Features wanted...
neal

Re: Clickable breadcrumbs.

Post by neal »

This is an essential feature,which you should have incorporated it at a long time back

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

neal wrote:This is an essential feature,which you should have incorporated it at a long time back
Hi!

Well, yes, I made up my mind about this some days ago. I will add this version of (1st screenshot) in 12.10:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 192#p33192
Including some additional ideas. (And I will give credits to the place where I saw this first. Long before Windows and everybody else had it.)

Don

tedy

Post by tedy »

How would we switch between the two "states"? Explorer-style (clicking on an empty area on the addressbar)?
I read something about clicking on the icon, I think the WE-style would be better than that.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The two states are not planned currently. just the first state.

tedy

Post by tedy »

But the plain text-editable addressbar should not be removed as a feature - it wouldn't make sense to deprive power users of the ability to edit the path just to please the clickable-fellows :) .
If that's what you implied.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tedy wrote:But the plain text-editable addressbar should not be removed as a feature - it wouldn't make sense to deprive power users of the ability to edit the path just to please the clickable-fellows :) .
If that's what you implied.
No, of course not! Those CBs will be an addition, not a replacement. And they will only hold a path, not any of the myriads of things the AB can do.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:Well, yes, I made up my mind about this some days ago. I will add this version of (1st screenshot) in 12.10:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 192#p33192
Including some additional ideas. (And I will give credits to the place where I saw this first. Long before Windows and everybody else had it.)
Me likes - one click less! :)

Filehero

sfwood

Post by sfwood »

Have you considered putting the click-able breadcrumbs on the tabs themselves to save space?

Borut

Post by Borut »

sfwood wrote:Have you considered putting the click-able breadcrumbs on the tabs themselves to save space?
You mean on the pane itself (since a tab is something different and I can not imagine where it could be put on a tab)? Yes, he intends to put it on pane. You could have found that in the message previous to yours - there is a quote and in that quote there is a link to a message from 2009, where a mockup of the possible solution is to be seen.

Here is another quote - also from this very same thread in which you are asking (just a previous page) - with the same link:
admin wrote:I'm slowly (re-)warming up to this. During Dual Pane development in 2009 I had already thought about a clickable breadcrumb per-pane, even with a mockup (http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 192#p33192). The idea then got out of sight somehow.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

sfwood

Post by sfwood »

Borut wrote:
sfwood wrote:Have you considered putting the click-able breadcrumbs on the tabs themselves to save space?
You mean on the pane itself (since a tab is something different and I can not imagine where it could be put on a tab)? Yes, he intends to put it on pane. You could have found that ..
I mean on the tab(s) at the top of a pane that (I at least) have set up to show the path currently displayed in the pane. See image below. Apologies if it has been suggested and I missed it or if I used the wrong terminology, but please don't feel the need to go on the attack--it is just a suggestion.
Attachments
xyplorer-tabs.jpg
xyplorer-tabs.jpg (35.92 KiB) Viewed 2324 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

IMO that would totally destroy the tabs' main functionality: click header to select new tab.

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

I dunno... I think Sfwood's mockup looks like a good way to go... You can have the little |x| tab that stays at the far right (not shown in mockup), for adding new tabs.
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

Marco

Post by Marco »

What about this kind of behaviour: a left click on the icon in the AB toggles between "normal" path and breadcrumbed path. These states are remembered during browsing and even across sessions.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

tedy

Post by tedy »

Marco wrote:What about this kind of behaviour: a left click on the icon in the AB toggles between "normal" path and breadcrumbed path. These states are remembered during browsing and even across sessions.
This would require another superfluous click - to change between states. Also this would require precise aiming at the little 16x16 icon - not a pleasant experience.
I think another tiny (12-14 pixels..) bar with just the breadcrumbs is what will work best, and will barely hurt vertical real estate.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

admin wrote:Well, yes, I made up my mind about this some days ago. ... Including some additional ideas.
Great news!
Some quick ideas:
1) Some form of ctrl+click or right-click on empty address bar space to switch between two modes?
2) a keyboard shortcut in the Miscellaneous section to toggle states.
3) a tooltip reminder when hovering on AB empty space, to enhance discoverability.