More speed please!

Features wanted...
Ludens

More speed please!

Post by Ludens »

Dear admin,
to my great regret, I must say that I recently switched from XY on X2. Hopefully temporary.
The reason is lack of speed. When I open a folder, or when switching between tabs on the XY sometimes I have to wait up to 5 seconds or more. And X2 performs these actions instantly. (Win7/64)
I am very sorry. I still believe that today XY is the best file manager in the world. But it is also the slowest file manager in the world.
Could you think of something, to increase the speed of its work?

nas8e9

Re: More speed please!

Post by nas8e9 »

You did see this FAQ?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ludens wrote:The reason is lack of speed. When I open a folder, or when switching between tabs on the XY sometimes I have to wait up to 5 seconds or more. And X2 performs these actions instantly. (Win7/64)
I am very sorry. I still believe that today XY is the best file manager in the world. But it is also the slowest file manager in the world.
Come on, take a deep breath and apply logical thinking: Do you really think XY would be as popular as it is if this would be true? Of course not. So the problem must be on your end.

Ludens

Post by Ludens »

nas8e9 wrote:You did see this FAQ?
Oh, really, my mistake: I didn't bother to read the FAQ.
Your link is just about my case: I have installed exactly the MSE. So I followed the advice: both XYcopy.exe and XYplorer.exe was added to the 'Excluded files and locations'. It seems to me that now XY really works faster. But I still can't say that all file operations are performed instantly, as in the X2 or TC. When I try to open a folder, which had not yet opened since the launch of the XY, I have to wait for the operation sometimes 3 or more seconds.

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 22 Jan 2016 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ludens wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:You did see this FAQ?
Oh, really, my mistake: I didn't bother to read the FAQ.
Your link is just about my case: I have installed exactly the MSE. So I followed the advice: both XYcopy.exe and XYplorer.exe was added to the 'Excluded files and locations'. It seems to me that now XY really works faster. But I still can't say that all file operations are performed instantly, as in the X2 or TC. When I try to open a folder, which had not yet opened since the launch of the XY, I have to wait for the operation sometimes 3 or more seconds.
This does never happen here. 3 seconds is extreme (unless your computer is very slow and the folders are gigantic). This must have some reason. Maybe any other virus scanner or firewall? Or are you maybe showing folders sizes?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:Come on, take a deep breath and apply logical thinking: Do you really think XY would be as popular as it is if this would be true? Of course not. So the problem must be on your end.
Fully agree! We've got many Win7/64 users here and Ludens is the only one with this issue right now...so...common sense says it's something localized to this one user.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Ludens

Post by Ludens »

grindax wrote:Are you sure you've followed the advice correctly? If you've added those files to 'Excluded files and locations' then you've added them in the wrong place. You need to add them as excluded processes.
Yes! Yes! You're absolutely right! I made a mistake the second time: I mixed up the files with the processes.
Now all great and XY works amazingly fast!!
Oh my God, Oh my God... More than a year I suffered from the slowness of my favorite file manager. And everything was so simple...
Nevertheless, I still must make a note to admin. I think many XY users use the MSE. I believe that most of them, like me, don't read the FAQ. And I am sure that they are faced with the same problem as me. But they were not as patient as I am...
In short, I believe that you should put a warning on the conflict between XY and MSE at the most prominent place on the site and the readme file.
And I remain your fan!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ludens wrote:
grindax wrote:Are you sure you've followed the advice correctly? If you've added those files to 'Excluded files and locations' then you've added them in the wrong place. You need to add them as excluded processes.
Yes! Yes! You're absolutely right! I made a mistake the second time: I mixed up the files with the processes.
Now all great and XY works amazingly fast!!
Oh my God, Oh my God... More than a year I suffered from the slowness of my favorite file manager. And everything was so simple...
Nevertheless, I still must make a note to admin. I think many XY users use the MSE. I believe that most of them, like me, don't read the FAQ. And I am sure that they are faced with the same problem as me. But they were not as patient as I am...
In short, I believe that you should put a warning on the conflict between XY and MSE at the most prominent place on the site and the readme file.
And I remain your fan!
Thanks, you are right. I think about it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BTW, can it be that other file managers are not affected by MSE??? Why only XY? :?

Ludens

Post by Ludens »

admin wrote:BTW, can it be that other file managers are not affected by MSE??? Why only XY? :?
I also do not understand this. That's why I thought the XY.
You can check it out yourself: any other file manager has no problems with MSE.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ludens wrote:
admin wrote:BTW, can it be that other file managers are not affected by MSE??? Why only XY? :?
I also do not understand this. That's why I thought the XY.
You can check it out yourself: any other file manager has no problems with MSE.
You know, most users never have a speed problem to begin with. The real question is: What's so special about those systems where the MSE trick makes a difference?

Ludens

Post by Ludens »

admin wrote:What's so special about those systems where the MSE trick makes a difference?
I really do not know. But I can report that I've seen the same problem on WinXP SP3

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 22 Jan 2016 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi'
I don't know if that may help track down the culprit(s), but I also had/have the ~3sec lapse when opening from internal HDD (yet unopened) folders containing around ~100+ folders (rather than lots of files I believe). This is under WinXP SP2 (personally customized), then WinXP SP3 (default), no active antivirus or file-tampering processes whatsoever. Though - don't know if it's related - with Indexing OFF.
I solved it by unchecking Tools | Configuration | General | "Check existence of subfolders in tree" (as suggested somewhere else).
It's really snappy now, and until I have the opportunity to migrate to Win7, I can live with the drawback: personally I'd rather enjoy all the creative updates to the previews, file-mangling scripts, etc. :twisted:
Good luck!

EDIT: I checked again, and it's not as clear-cut as before (though that's probably because my new computer is less slow :whistle: ). The problem's still there, but contrary to my previous experiences, it happened (after a reboot) with a folder of 180 files and 6 folders, but not with a folder containing 450 folders and 1 file. Both with subfolders and no tags in their hierarchy; on the same HDD; no Mini-tree, no Auto-Optimize Tree... To confuse things, when I try to replicate it now with these folders, the access time of the first folder is much less noticeable (little less than ~1sec). So it doesn't seem be folder-related after all.
Well, I'll call it a day and get back to my scripts. :lol: