Collapsing tree

Features wanted...
slselwyn

Collapsing tree

Post by slselwyn »

It would be very useful if there was a quick way of collapsing the tree in the left pane with a button or shortcut, wherever the focus is at the time.
Somtimes with multiple drives open, the tree can be very long and navigating to a particular point time consuming. Only one drive at a time can be collapsed.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Collapsing tree

Post by admin »

And the focus should move to [My]Computer?

Borut

Post by Borut »

Yes, this would be very nice, indeed. For that reason I have for some months now a function "Park" (=Close all tabs in the active pane and go to "My Computer") in my mega cool but never published tabsets scripting. :)

I believe that a number of people would find this nice, when attached to some factory created button (named "Go Home" or something, like Go to Home Page in a browser).
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

FYI, these two commands do the job in this order:

Code: Select all

#552	Favorites | Special System Folders | MyComputer
#1040	Miscellaneous | Tree | Optimize Tree	 (Shift+Numpad Divide)
So the button script should be:

Code: Select all

#552; #1040;
But I agree that a factory-made button would be popular.

@slselwyn: Run #552; #1040; through your address bar. Is this what you want?

printedtopsntees

Post by printedtopsntees »

#552; #1040; nearly does what I want. I'm going to have a go at creating a Catalog item to do this, if there's anything I should know please let me know.

I know this (Collapsed Tree View) is on the wish list but can I add a request.

I use SugarSync to synchronize my machines and 95%+ of my files are in the Magic Briefcase Folder. This is the folder that SugarSync sets up and is the Folder synchronized across all machines. When I open Windows Explorer (WE) it opens with the tree collapsed but also displays the Magic Briefcase folder as well as Desktop, Libraries, Downloads Computer. It also displays the Dropbox folder. Is this the first instance of a Microsoft product successfully anticipating what you want rather than its usual misguided attempts at AI. This makes it really easy to get to where I want with the minimum of mouse clicks. Anyway my request is the ability to pin any folder to the collapsed view so that users can tailor this view to be what they need to quickly access what they want.

At the moment, if I just want to just check if a file is present or view an image etc, I use WE as it can be much quicker than XYP fot these simple requests simply because of the collapsed view and the folders that I'm interested in being displayed.

printedtopsntees

Just found the Mini Tree Button.

This does everything I want but I still think a customisable Mini Tree would be useful.

For instance an accountant could have, say, "customer accounts", "Income Tax", "VAT" etc and a graphic designer could have "customer artwork" "draft" etc shown on their Mini Tree view.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

printedtopsntees wrote:Just found the Mini Tree Button.

This does everything I want but I still think a customisable Mini Tree would be useful.

For instance an accountant could have, say, "customer accounts", "Income Tax", "VAT" etc and a graphic designer could have "customer artwork" "draft" etc shown on their Mini Tree view.
You can customize with the scripting command loadtree.

printedtopsntees

serendipity wrote:
printedtopsntees wrote:Just found the Mini Tree Button.

You can customize with the scripting command loadtree.

I think I'm going to have to change my tactics, instead of asking for a feature to be implemented just work on the theory it's alredy there and just ask how it's done. :biggrin:

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

printedtopsntees wrote:I think I'm going to have to change my tactics, instead of asking for a feature to be implemented just work on the theory it's alredy there and just ask how it's done. :biggrin:
Even better: Get yourself a good wine (or a six-pack Jever) to prepare for a lazy evening. On that evening, create a XY playground installation (simple copy), open up the manual and make sure, you've an text editor (well, everything but Notepad) at hand. I'm sure, the darkness lights up soon.

:wink:

Cheers,
Filehero

PS: This advice is fully driven by my very own experience. XY offers such a plethora of features that simply isn't explorable just by the GUI. Again, I know what I'm writing about.

printedtopsntees

Filehero wrote:
printedtopsntees wrote:I think I'm going to have to change my tactics, instead of asking for a feature to be implemented just work on the theory it's alredy there and just ask how it's done. :biggrin:
Even better: Get yourself a good wine (or a six-pack Jever) to prepare for a lazy evening. On that evening, create a XY playground installation (simple copy), open up the manual and make sure, you've an text editor (well, everything but Notepad) at hand. I'm sure, the darkness lights up soon.

:wink:

Cheers,
Filehero

PS: This advice is fully driven by my very own experience. XY offers such a plethora of features that simply isn't explorable just by the GUI. Again, I know what I'm writing about.

By manual do you mean the Help Files or am I missing something?

EDIT- Found it. Four hundred and how many pages! My brain's hurting.