Right dragging from XY

Features wanted...
JohnM

Right dragging from XY

Post by JohnM »

When I drag a file from Explorer to, say, the desktop using the right mouse button, the context menu gives me the option of creating a shortcut. Sadly, XYplorer does not provide this option, it only offers “move”, “copy” or “cancel”. Could XY be made to do this too? It's just a thought :D

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Cheers
JohnM
Windows 8.1 x64
XYplorer 22.90.0105 beta

admin
Site Admin

Re: Right dragging from XY

Post by admin »

JohnM wrote:When I drag a file from Explorer to, say, the desktop using the right mouse button, the context menu gives me the option of creating a shortcut. Sadly, XYplorer does not provide this option, it only offers “move”, “copy” or “cancel”. Could XY be made to do this too?
I'm aware of it, and it has been discussed somewhere else (hell, this forum is getting big...). The story is: I'm trying this since day one but never succeeded! Total mystery... If anybody tells me how to do this in VB I'll add it the next minute!

Statler

Post by Statler »

admin wrote:I'm trying this since day one but never succeeded! Total mystery... If anybody tells me how to do this in VB I'll add it the next minute!
Have you tried http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/show/245/ :?:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Statler wrote:
admin wrote:I'm trying this since day one but never succeeded! Total mystery... If anybody tells me how to do this in VB I'll add it the next minute!
Have you tried http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/show/245/ :?:
Oh, I can create a shortcut without problem. The problem is that I don't own the context menu that's shown when dropping onto other apps. And I don't succeed in telling/allowing the other app to feature the "Create shortcut" item in the menu.

Statler

Post by Statler »

admin wrote:Oh, I can create a shortcut without problem.
Of course you know that when you're able to write such an amazing program like XYplorer! Sorry, must be the high temperature that prevented me from thinking! :oops:
admin wrote:The problem is that I don't own the context menu that's shown when dropping onto other apps. And I don't succeed in telling/allowing the other app to feature the "Create shortcut" item in the menu.
After some research and some trying on my own (oh, I'm a lousy VB programmer :lol: ), I found an interesting article dealing with the topic. Unfortunately it's written for VB.Net and AFAIK XYplorer is written in VB6.0, but it might shed some light on the problem, as it seems that in VB.Net the problem is still there!
So here's the link to the article anyway.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Statler wrote:... After some research and some trying on my own (oh, I'm a lousy VB programmer :lol: ), I found an interesting article dealing with the topic. Unfortunately it's written for VB.Net and AFAIK XYplorer is written in VB6.0, but it might shed some light on the problem, as it seems that in VB.Net the problem is still there!
So here's the link to the article anyway.
Thank you, but again it does not help. The problem is an inter-app communication issue. Inside XY you have the Create Shortcut item in the shell menu, but outside it's missing. I don't program outside XY...
BTW: it's written in divine VB5. VB5 is faster than VB6 (see my VBspeed site for details...).

Pallazzio

ALT dragging

Post by Pallazzio »

If you find a way to implement this request, see if you can also make it create a shortcut when left dragging with ALT (windows explorer does this)

thx, keep up the good work

ps. this is one of the most useful programs i have, but i dont know how to program yet. I am learning so hopefully i will be able to help you guys soon :)