Please add DUAL TREE LIST on Dual Pane !

Features wanted...
hicuci

Please add DUAL TREE LIST on Dual Pane !

Post by hicuci »

I'm PowerDesk user but it has not improved for many years. I also try to use many file managers, such lick PowerDesk, FreeCommander, Total Commander but not so good enought. Today I try XYplorer 10.900200, it real better than than I tried file managers. But I only deeply wish the Dual Pane of the XYplorer add DUAL TREE LIST option on left side, just like PowerDesk. It quickly copy, move and compare the files, folders !

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?ci ... parid=root

Twisten

Re: Please add DUAL TREE LIST on Dual Pane !

Post by Twisten »

Mmm interesting, and it might cut on the tree jumps when you switch panes.
On the other hand it'll take up valuable screen space, I suggest you give the mini-tree a chance it might ease things.
Also you might want to add the 'copy to other pane' and 'move to other pane' buttons to your toolbar.

Borut

Post by Borut »

Hi and welcome hicuci!

Maybe you would wish to try how it looks like to use tabs inside one pane and copy/move the files between tabs, instead of using two panes. Additionally, I am using the not so well known tweak:

Code: Select all

; Tweak: set to 1 to optimize the tree on each location change
AutoOptimizeTreeRadical=1
so that my tree is always focused around the position of the current tab and no other branches stay expanded.

(The most simple way for a novice to test the tweak is: Exit XYplorer; open XYplorer.ini in your editor; search after AutoOptimizeTreeRadical; change the value to 1; save; start XYplorer.)

Two trees will never come here, I am afraid, but it is well worth to test XYplorer a bit more!
Win 10 Pro 64bit

hicuci

Post by hicuci »

Hello Twisten and Borut,

Thanks for your very useful advise.

You will never forget Dual Pane Dual Tree List after you been tried it. It has been appeard on Ms Windows 3.1, and PowerDesk use it to now. I not sure if this is patent, that make Donald Lessau will never add it. Otherwise I think XYPlorer has an option "show catalog" , it also should let user choose a useful option "show dual tree list". If possible, it should add moe one option like ACDSee "preview", then I will be the best and the most powerful files manager in the world. I want too much ??? but I will wait and wait ...

Maybe someone can make a plug-in for this ? think too much .... Ha ha ...

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

hicuci wrote:... I not sure if this is patent, that make Donald Lessau will never add it...
I doubt if it's a patent problem because DOpus, freeCommander, SpeedCommander & Total Commander I know have dual tree, and there may be others.

Borut

Post by Borut »

hicuci wrote:I not sure if this is patent, that make Donald Lessau will never add it.
No, I also do not think it is patented. I can not speak for Don, but I suppose that chances for dual tree are almost zero, since I believe that deep architectural issues would be involved.
hicuci wrote:You will never forget Dual Pane Dual Tree List after you been tried it.
Let me describe my use of dual pane (as a work flow option): I never copy/move between panes. One pane is "Project A" I am currently working on. The second pane is "Project B" I am currently working on (in the background, so to speak, i.e. with lower priority). In each pane, I have a number of tabs (mostly about 6-7 of them) pointing to all the folders pertaining to the project. When I change the active tab, the tree reflects that (and only that! - all other branches are not expanded). In that way I can easily copy/move/drag&drop between the tabs, or between the tabs and the tree (since the tree branches do expand on hover, and tabs do become active on hover, if necessary - all very nice to use).

The most valuable function for me is loading and saving tabsets: you can save your "projects" (i.e. groups of tabs) and open them all at once later with just one or two clicks, either in pane 1 or pane 2.

In my view, two panes do not offer all that, even if each of them would have its own tree. For me, the tab- and tabsets-concept seem much more powerful.

But of course, I know what it means to be used to certain work flow or feature. It is hard to change. However, when I now look back on how I was using WindowsExplorer or FreeCommander two years ago, I can not but smile - with XY and my changed way of doing things, my productivity was enhanced immensely.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

hicuci wrote:You will never forget Dual Pane Dual Tree List after you been tried it.
As always, depends on personal needs and preferences.

With QDir this was the first option I switched off. Even on my 27" monitor it simply takes to much screen estate for the small gain it adds. With at most two tab panes and one active tab per pane you will have at most two folders to be "selected" in the tree anyway. Even with QDir one tree was totally sufficient and that little "folder jumping" quite ok.

In XY for quickly copying files I use
1) One tab pane and two tabs ("copy by drop on tab"). This is the quickest way if I can do it "blindly". Added benefit: No "misdrop" possible.
2) Two tabs in two panes. It's basically like 1), but I additionally can check file/folder meta data before starting the file operation(s).

One tree already works like a charm with two tabs in one tab pane, why shouldn't it when the 2nd tab is in the 2nd pane? For me, a 2nd tree wouldn't facilitate anything.

But horses for courses....

Cheers,
Filehero

hicuci

Post by hicuci »

:lol: Thanks for everyone.

Asta

Post by Asta »

I'm PowerDesk user but it has not improved for many years. I also try to use many file managers, such lick PowerDesk, FreeCommander, Total Commander but not so good enought. Today I try XYplorer 10.900200, it real better than than I tried file managers. But I only deeply wish the Dual Pane of the XYplorer add DUAL TREE LIST option on left side, just like PowerDesk. It quickly copy, move and compare the files, folders !
This quoted post is five years old ... and nothing changed ... Always 1 tree in XYP, like in this good old MS explorer.

Any hope ?

davefox

Post by davefox »

I see several threads on this subject, and I'm not sure which is the latest. But let me add my vote for adding this as an option. I operate in dual pane mode frequently, and despite all efforts with colors to keep me straight, I still screw up once in a while and change the folder for the wrong pane. An optional second tree on the right side of the window would be a great addition!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is unlikely to happen I'm afraid. But if you have some other idea how to lower your screw up rate let me know...

Leito

Post by Leito »

@davefox: do you use this?

Configuration | Colors and Styles | Highlights & Dark Mode | Tree path tracing | ☑ Match color with breadcrumb bar

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

I had time in my hands, so here's a pretty useless concept script for reducing the need for dual trees.
Does some forced layout wrangling to make the tree stick to the active pane.

Code: Select all

"stickytree"
  assert <xyver> >= "19.60.0109", '<xyver> must be >= 19.60.0109';
  setlayout('showtree=1,shownav=1');
  $listposition = getlayout('ListPosition');
  if !(getlayout('DPHorizontal')) {
    setlayout('ListPosition=1');  // horiz list looks better centered
  }
  // keep list position static by setting navwidth at both side to equal
  switch getlayout('ListPosition') {
    case 0:
      setlayout('NavWidthLeft=' . getlayout('NavWidthRight')); break;
    case 2:
      setlayout('NavWidthRight=' . getlayout('NavWidthLeft')); break;
    case 1:
      $navleft  = getlayout('NavWidthLeft');
      $navright = getlayout('NavWidthRight');
      $navleft  = ($navleft < $navright) ? $navleft : $navright;
      $navright = $navleft;
      setlayout("NavWidthLeft=$navleft,NavWidthRight=$navright"); break;
  }

// the sticky glue
  while True {
    wait 50;
    assert getlayout('DP') == 1, "can't play with one pane, bud.";
    $activepane = get('Pane');
    /*** horizontal panes ***/
    if getlayout('DPHorizontal') {
      if (getlayout('ListPosition') == 1) {
        setlayout('ListPosition=0');  // vert list looks better not centered
      }
      setlayout('TreeCatalogStacked=1,ShowCatalog=1');
      if ($activepane == 1) {
        setlayout('CatalogFirst=0,CatalogHeight=' .
          getelementheight('L 2') +
          (getlayout('InfoPanelWide') ? 0 : getelementheight('SB')) +
          (getlayout('ShowCrumb') ? getelementheight('BC 1') : 0) +
          (getlayout('ShowTabs') ? getelementheight('TAB 1') : 0)
        );
      } else {
        setlayout('CatalogFirst=1,CatalogHeight=' .
          getelementheight('L 1') +
          (getlayout('ShowCrumb') ? getelementheight('BC 1') : 0) +
          (getlayout('ShowTabs') ? getelementheight('TAB 1') : 0)
        );
      }
    }

/*** vertical panes ***/
    else {
      if (getlayout('ListPosition') == 1) {
        setlayout('CatalogFirst=' . ($activepane==1 ? 0 : 1));
      } else {
        setlayout('ListPosition=' . ($activepane==1 ? 0 : 2));
      }
    }
  }
FUNCTION getelementheight($element) {
  return gettoken(controlposition($element), 4, '|');
}
FUNCTION getlayout($elems, $sep='|') {
  // https://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?t=13822&p=122431#p122431
  foreach ($elem, $elems, $sep) {
    if ($elem == '') || (regexmatches($elem,'^\w[\W]') != '') {
      $ret = (isset($ret) ? $ret : '') . $sep . '' ; //no value for bad elem
    } else {
      $val = gettoken(regexmatches(setlayout(), "\b$elem\=\d*", 1), 2, '=');
      $ret = (isset($ret) ? $ret : '') . $sep . $val;
    }
  }
  return replace($ret, $sep, '',,, 1); //replace first extra $sep
}
(Hey the loop might be offloaded to ahk or autoit to make this less useless. :mrgreen: )
treehopper-v.gif
treehopper-v.gif (462.77 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
treehopper-h.gif
treehopper-h.gif (355.88 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I say wow!

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

a 2nd wow! Quite cool and nifty as well. I noticed that the hoverbox doesn't display while in the script I assume due to the timed loop. If you did make the timed loop in AHK, would that eliminate that issue? MDBU worked fine so it's not affected by the timed loop. You're alright Sammay. :appl:

Don would it be possible for you to build something similar into XYplorer? Users may be more apt to use dual pane more often with a similar feature.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440