Static Search List

Features wanted...
phatmankerr

Static Search List

Post by phatmankerr »

Don't know whether this can be done currently...

But I have done a Search - e.g. for all .xls files.

XY finds all the files I need (very quickly! :D ) I then effectively want to work on this list of files without XY re-running the search every time I change something - basically I am going through the list (using preview) and deleting files I no longer need.

Unfortunately every time I delete a file - XY re-runs the Search Query - which in this instance I don't want.

Is there any way round this - or do I need to request a new feature (Lock File List?).

Thanks

Andy

highend

Re: Static Search List

Post by highend »

Mh, I'm not sure if I get it right.

Let's assume your search finds 30 .xls files.

If you delete e.g. 10 (with different names), how do you remember those that you've already deleted if the search result isn't refreshed?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

phatmankerr

Post by phatmankerr »

If you delete e.g. 10 (with different names), how do you remember those that you've already deleted if the search result isn't refreshed?
See your point - but what I mean is essentially I want to treat/ convert the searched list as/into a normal file list - so deletions are removed from the list but without the overhead of re-running the search (which is a pain when you delete one file at a time - View Preview - Decide file is not needed - Delete - Search runs - Wait 5 secs - Repeat).

I hate doing this - but I can actually do this in DOpus as the searched file list is effectively just a Collection (so modifying these files in any way - including deletion DOESN'T restart the search).

XY doesn't have the equivalent of collections but as this is the ONLY use I have for them if this functionality could be replicated in XY it gives me another reason to not carry around DOpus.

highend

Post by highend »

Ok, I see.

Please try: Tools - Customize List - Sticky Selection...

It allows you to still preview your files and the last file is still selected if you click the next one. Remove a selection of a file that you don't want to delete via an additional click. When you finished previewing all your files you can delete all (still) selected files at once.

So the search is only executed a second time after you deleted the unneeded files.

Can you live with that? :D
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

phatmankerr

Post by phatmankerr »

Please try: Tools - Customize List - Sticky Selection...
Highend - that might actually work (certainly better than what I was doing).

Will give it a try (although it's still not as clean/easy as doing it in DOpus which doesn't require you to 'unclick' files).

Thanks for the suggestion will see how well it works :D .

Cheers

Andy

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Just wondering -- are you using "cache search results" in Find Files config? If not, have you tried that?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Planned feature Virtual Tabs will be the answer...