Live Filter for List

Features wanted...
jjk

Live Filter for List

Post by jjk »

I just discovered that Live Filter for List was postponed in your roadmap, once more, after MOBU this time.
I am waiting for Live Filter for List since so long...
Please, please, it would be so handy to have that feature.

Thanks anyway.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Live Filter for List

Post by admin »

Oh, very attentive! :)

The thing with MOBU is that I myself got so spoiled by google's mouseover blow up (did they steal that from XY's MDBU?) that I just have to have this in XY.

Live Filter is also a feature that will probably take very long to ripen because LOTS of code changes are involved.

phatmankerr

Post by phatmankerr »

Another vote for live filter.

This is so useful that i now occasionally go back to using DOpus just to use it :cry:

Would much rather have it in XY :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just being curious: Where would you expect a live filter box in the UI? (I think about adding it to the left end of the statusbar, just like the filter boxes in other list dialogs of XY.)

jjk

Post by jjk »

Yes, to the left end of the statusbar is good for me.
But give it a keyboard shortcut (as in TotalCommander) please.
And possible to apply it in (multiple) branch view.
Exciting feature in approach...

phatmankerr

Post by phatmankerr »

I would have said to the right of the address bar as a personal preference - but that clashes with the tool bar in XY...

So actually to the left of the status bar would work for me also :D

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:Just being curious: Where would you expect a live filter box in the UI? (I think about adding it to the left end of the statusbar, just like the filter boxes in other list dialogs of XY.)
I'd quite honestly prefer it just re-use the address bar.

I really believe this shouldn't be a separate feature but rather an enhancement to how visual filters work.

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

I think i vote for address bar too.
Just let the "|" symbol filter the list in real time, live.

phatmankerr

Post by phatmankerr »

Certainly no objections to extending current filter syntax in the address bar.

But I think it would be useful to have a separate control for live filter - it's something I would use often enough to justify the use of space on the status bar (sure Don would make the status bar control optional anyway :?: )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Live Filter will live independently of the Visual Filter. Sure there is some overlap in functionality/use, but technically they will be different things, and it's easy to imagine situations where you want to apply a live filter on top of a visually filtered list.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:The Live Filter will live independently of the Visual Filter. Sure there is some overlap in functionality/use, but technically they will be different things, and it's easy to imagine situations where you want to apply a live filter on top of a visually filtered list.
At which point the user would modify the existing filter - seems silly to have filters upon filters upon filters. I see absolutely zero sense in keeping them separate, nor do I see a reason why the technical side of things should be all that different. After all, a live filter is just a visual filter that is applied and updated as it is being typed.

If not the address bar my preference goes to doing something like Chrome/Firefox where it's not always visible but available on demand as an overlay or new toolbar.

The status bar already feels too crowded to me.

It's a shame we can't have a true bar and docking manager that would allow all these things to actually be customizable beyond the visibility boolean. :(

jjk

Post by jjk »

admin wrote:The Live Filter will live independently of the Visual Filter. Sure there is some overlap in functionality/use, but technically they will be different things, and it's easy to imagine situations where you want to apply a live filter on top of a visually filtered list.
I totally agree. It is nice to see a large list reducing until have only the files matching some string.
For my needs, it is not the same feature than VF.
TheQwerty wrote:my preference goes to doing something like Chrome/Firefox where it's not always visible but available on demand as an overlay or new toolbar.
+1 also.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jjk wrote:
TheQwerty wrote:my preference goes to doing something like Chrome/Firefox where it's not always visible but available on demand as an overlay or new toolbar.
+1 also.
I might add a hideable bar at the bottom of each list (= each pane), similar to Firefox's "find bar" (or whatever it's called).

avsfan

Post by avsfan »

admin wrote:
jjk wrote:
+1 also.
I might add a hideable bar at the bottom of each list (= each pane), similar to Firefox's "find bar" (or whatever it's called).
This sounds great to me!

phatmankerr

Post by phatmankerr »

Agree - hideable bar sounds like a neat solution :D