Dialog: Maintain End-User Sizing Changes

Features wanted...
Zardoz2293

Dialog: Maintain End-User Sizing Changes

Post by Zardoz2293 »

Request:
Please Father Christmas (Don), I've been very good this year. I'm wishing for sizable dialogs in XY to retain End-User width/height changes (regardless if OK, Cancel, Esc, or [X] is pressed).

Oh, and of course I've left a glass of cold milk and a baker's dozen of the best homemade cookies for you next to the tree 8).

Example:
User | Manage Commands | Assign Keyboard Shortcut ("Free Keyboard Shortcuts" dialog displayed)
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

admin
Site Admin

Re: Dialog: Maintain End-User Sizing Changes

Post by admin »

The bug that made you want this has been fixed in the meantime. Thanks for the cookies.

Trasd

Post by Trasd »

Even though this has been fixed in XYplorer, you may want to check out FileBox eXtender for a generic solution to this Windows wide problem. If this program is not your cup of tea, just Google "dialog box extender" and look for one of the many free ones for one that meets your needs.
Trasd

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." A.C.C.

"I'll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." J. M.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

Thanks for the feedback. It's been a problem from my perspective (since Windows v1). I've always implemented window creation/destruction with saving of position and size (when it can be resized) -- one method in the creation, one in the destruction (plus library code); whatever the language. Giving the ability to handle being displayed thereafter on a modified display where a monitor has been removed (multi-monitor) or screen resolution reduced so it isn't lost in the off screen void real estate. I try to get the developer to implement directly. Some vendors implement and others won't. I've used many external tools to attempt resolution, but each in their own way have caused more problems through side-effects than they resolve (for me). Just throwing it out there, if Don likes and it fits into his schedule, perhaps someday I, you and we enjoy the enhancement. Further, I understand that for some this fits into the category of trivial. I will investigate these tools, but there's nothing like pure water from the source.
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Trasd wrote:Even though this has been fixed in XYplorer, you may want to check out FileBox eXtender for a generic solution to this Windows wide problem. If this program is not your cup of tea, just Google "dialog box extender" and look for one of the many free ones for one that meets your needs.
FileBox eXtender is no longer supported. I used to use it, but switched to Direct Folders Pro, which has the same feature.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

Trasd

Post by Trasd »

Jerry wrote:FileBox eXtender is no longer supported. I used to use it, but switched to Direct Folders Pro, which has the same feature.
I quit using it too. I downloaded the code, but would have to port it over to my compiler before I could begin to unravel it. I am now using a different one as well...
Trasd

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." A.C.C.

"I'll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." J. M.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

Trasd wrote:... you may want to check out FileBox eXtender for a generic solution to this Windows wide problem. If this program is not your cup of tea, just Google "dialog box extender" and look for one of the many free ones for one that meets your needs.
FileBox eXtender: :roll: I reviewed this product many years ago. Gave it a shot again, reviewing it today, and on Windows 7 (64-Bit) it is extremely limited and very buggy. I'm not sure how this product could or ever has had the ability to resolve my concern regarding application dialogs not retaining their position and size (VB6: Top, Left, Width, Height attributes) from session to session (let alone the same app session). Sincerely, Thanks for the information, it did have a few bits of intellectual stimulation in the code.

A twist on the quote from Risky Business (1983)
"Porsche. There is no substitute." ~ "Native Implementation. There is no substitute." 8)

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

Great, fantastic, and totally awesome features to implement, even if phased in, for which the ancient gods would elevate the developer to a demigod:
  • Stateful toggle for Topmost z-order flag for each individual Modeless dialog.

Note: Depending on what applications are executing and other environmental conditions in the system, often these dialogs can get displayed behind XY, in the background, particularity with file/folder move/copy activity, complicating efficient end-user management of their system. These dialogs further don't exist in the taskbar (and wouldn't want them there either) which prevents selection and bring them to the foreground. XYcopy.exe dialogs frequently display the 'hidden' in the background concern as it's dialogs are not governed by XY's z-order.
  • Stateful retaining Position for each individual Modal & Modeless dialog.
  • Stateful retaining Size for each individual Modal & Modeless dialog (which can be re-sized).
Some of the dialogs/windows:

XYplorer.exe:
  • class: ThunderRT6FormDC
    activity (window caption): Rename | XYplorer | Copy Here As | About | Configuration | Manage Folder Views | Catalog
  • class: ThunderRT6Form
    activity (window caption): Custom Move
  • class: #32770
    activity (window caption): Properties | XYplorer
XYcopy.exe:
  • class: ThunderRT6Form
    activity (window caption): Custom Copy
  • class: ThunderRT6FormDC
    activity (window caption): Custom Move
  • class: #32770
    activity (window caption): Delete

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Becoming a demigod is not on my personal roadmap. :wink:

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

admin wrote:Becoming a demigod is not on my personal roadmap. :wink:
You are a chosen one. Just accept it. :wink:

Seriously, the dialogs in XY are a weak point. The larger your screen real estate the more pronounced the affect:
  • #1) Custom Copy dialog always moves it's position. If placed at the bottom-right of monitor #1 it will move to monitor #2 after a few copies (making me crazed :evil: ).
    • Would like to stop it's moving and be stationary, retaining the position.
    • Really nice feature would be the ability to dock 'it' in the Info Panel.
  • #2) Customize Keyboard Shortcuts (CKS) dialog always appears Centered XY = desirable. :D
    Manage User-Defined Commands (UDC) dialog always appears Centered Desktop not desirable :( (Centered XY = desirable)
  • #3) Free Keyboard Shortcuts (FKS) dialog is sizable appears Centered Parent Dialog (UDC) = desirable. However, since it's sizable and if the user sizes it, would be really jolly great to retain the sizing for future FKS activity.
  • #4) Under the Manage UDC | Tips... (button) dialog is Centered XY, desirable = Centered Parent. So on a large monitor you have XY at the far left, bring up Manage UDC and move it to the far right, click Tips... and unexpectedly the tips dialog pops up center far left Centered XY.
  • #5) Configuration dialog, retains it's position. However, since it's modal, Center XY is more intuitive as you can't interact with XY.
  • #6) Not sure why View | Columns... | Show Columns... dialog is sizable.
  • #7) Not sure why "Go | History..." or "Go | Recent Locations..." or "Scripting | Try Script..." dialogs retain their position since they are all modal, Center XY is intuitive, but if it was modeless then retaining the position would be desirable with docking ability.
Just some of my random thoughts. What are your thoughts?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmm, I'm overwhelmed. :P

I think you are too much of a programmer here. Please step back and get a little more comfortable with the situation that I'm the man in charge and you are the customer who can snuggle up in his big soft chair and ingest the daily serving from Cologne... :P (Sorry, Carnival is approaching and I'm already getting dressed up...)

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

admin wrote:Hmm, I'm overwhelmed. :P

I think you are too much of a programmer here. Please step back and get a little more comfortable with the situation that I'm the man in charge and you are the customer who can snuggle up in his big soft chair and ingest the daily serving from Cologne... :P (Sorry, Carnival is approaching and I'm already getting dressed up...)
Why "programmer"? I think he's the one to view what you have programmed? And talks about what he sees?

By the way: I live 200km from Cologne - and don't understand that "Karneval".
But I know it's true: they have fun :lol:
And when they have fun nothing can disturb them :lol: :lol:
(OK: I've been there some time ago - and had fun, too :roll: )
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

admin wrote:Hmm, I'm overwhelmed. :P

Yes, I've accepted from day-one you are the man in charge. Being the Commander-in-Chief, I'd expect you would wanted to be advised where improvements could be made, whether you implement or not, is your domain. Unfortunately, I have a large dual monitor system and the dialog concern tugs at me daily. That's a great complement on how much one can live in XY to experience enhanced productivity. :D

I overwhelm everyone. I accepted that decades ago. :mrgreen:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Zardoz2293 wrote:I overwhelm everyone. I accepted that decades ago. :mrgreen:
:)