Better update system

Features wanted...
zer0

Better update system

Post by zer0 »

Let's face it, the more seamless, unattended an update system is the more we like it. We have better things to do. Windows Update patches, anti-virus definitions et al are but a couple of examples.

XYplorer's update system, however, leaves a lot to be desired, mainly because there isn't one. Sure, there is a "Check for Updates" menu entry and an option to check at launch. But both are there purely for notification purposes, they do nothing else, no better than subscribing to the beta thread. What if I don't close my XYplorer? Updater script is too crude, while users of the home version can't use scripting. Many other applications feature better updating routines and so should XYplorer, considering how often new releases are made available. Download, extract or run installer with its half-dozen steps. Doing this day in and day out is not user friendly.

A much better approach would be to have an option to have XY automatically check and provide an elegant way to update. Something like this :P
update_process.png
update_process.png (69.64 KiB) Viewed 5957 times
Two clicks and you're running the newest version. Simple as. And if you thinking of discarding this idea, just remember what Steve Jobs (RIP) said: "...a lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them".
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

gtm

Re: Better update system

Post by gtm »

I 100000% AGREE.

The XY update should be doable very easily. ITS A REAL HASSLE UPDATING XY !!
PLEASE LOOK INTO AN UPDATE BUTTON IN THE HELP SECTION TO EASILY UPDATE XY
WITH ONE CLICK.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

gtm wrote:I 100000% AGREE.

The XY update should be doable very easily. ITS A REAL HASSLE UPDATING XY !!
PLEASE LOOK INTO AN UPDATE BUTTON IN THE HELP SECTION TO EASILY UPDATE XY
WITH ONE CLICK.
**** ***!

highend

Post by highend »

**** ***!
Love you!?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sure. :mrgreen:

gtm

Post by gtm »

We'll love you too if you add this !

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

gtm wrote:ITS A REAL HASSLE UPDATING XY !!
Is it? :shock:
I think: no. :naughty:

And possible problems with an auto-install:
1) which type? Install or Portable?
2) XY might run as normal user, install should need admin user
3) XY must be stopped when installing XY
4) there will be more...

OK: all this *can* be handled. But at which effort?

And now?
- I'm in the forum - no problem to download current version, both Install and Portable. Save with full version info.
- stop XY if active
- start IZArc As Admin
- open (pre-selected) Install .zip
- double click .exe
- about 4 clicks?
- close IZArc
- possibly "save Settings" in auto-started XY
- stop XY (still being Admin)
- maybe start XY

A long list. About 1 minute to do. A hassle? :whistle:

On my second PC I have a half-automated procedure to "install" XY Portable in a new directory, and auto-apply all changes I need. (Never problems with new/changed key definitions :biggrin: ) No defailt auto-install can deliver that...
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Pete, as the OP who suggested this idea, it would be remiss of me not to chime in.

All "problems" that you mentioned have solutions. Yes, effort would be required to have a good update system, but the same is true for any substantial feature. Just because there is a workaround that takes a minute, it does not mean that there is no case for an automated system that can update XYplorer to the latest stable/beta release in a couple of clicks. Your way would take a minute, mine should be about 10 seconds. This is equal to 83% time saved. For a tool whose byline includes "to efficiently automate frequently recurring tasks", I'd say this is right up there.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Please note: there's the thread title: "Better update system"
And there's "ITS A REAL HASSLE UPDATING XY" !!

I wanterd to differentiate that a bit. Sure there could be a better update system. But I still don't think the current situation is A REAL HASSLE!

I can live with the current situation. And in between the time I created some automation to help me installing (not: updating) and customizing a new XY version. (Sorry: very hard tailored to my special needs, i.e. nothing for common use.) So it's ok with me, and I wouldn't need something else.

But I didn't say that there couldn't be a common automation, helping many people by making updates more easy.
Yet I asked for the effort...
(...and can think of things that could and should be done before that...)

Edit: some "wording"
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Sure, gtm was a bit "in your face" about his/her feelings. Yes, I can also live with the current situation. But taking "that will do" approach is kryptonite to innovation and progress. The process of updating should just work: notify me when an update is available, install it seamlessly and let me carry on with my work. Maybe I am daydreaming...
Windows 7/10

Pagat

Post by Pagat »

After jackys automatic update script stopped working i don't update on a regular basis anymore. zer0 mentioned the reason: It's not efficient enough to do it manually. So i wait for a feature i don't want to miss or for a stable release until i manually update.

I sure can live with the current situation but a built in one click solution would be the cherry on top (or a script that works; alas i don't have the skills to debug jackys sophisticated updater).

Marco

Post by Marco »

Pagat wrote:After jackys automatic update script stopped working i don't update on a regular basis anymore. zer0 mentioned the reason: It's not efficient enough to do it manually. So i wait for a feature i don't want to miss or for a stable release until i manually update.

I sure can live with the current situation but a built in one click solution would be the cherry on top (or a script that works; alas i don't have the skills to debug jackys sophisticated updater).
I posted the script I use some times ago. It works ok, altho there's a minor glitch that I'd like to fix, maybe with the help of the other members here.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

gtm

Post by gtm »

You have to manually merge the ini files, don't you ?
Add another 3 minutes for it.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

An integrated update system will arrive -- sooner or later -- it is just a matter of time. While scripts do tick "That will do" box, they are, by definition, crude and do not provide seamless integration that "just works".
Windows 7/10

JoeStorm

Post by JoeStorm »

I agree it is a real hassle. Just about every other program has a one click update system in place. Having to see there is an update, going to the update page in another program, finding the update, downloading the update, closing the browser, opening explorer, opening the archive, quiting the xyplorer, going to the correct directory, copying the file over, closing explorer, and relauching xyplorer IS a hassle. Or even downloading the installer and running the installer with all of the clicking.

Compared with "There is an update. Click to update." dialog and clicking a button. Done.

Is the current procedure doable? Sure. But in the current state of technology, that procedure is 15 years old and archaic.
PeterH wrote:
gtm wrote:ITS A REAL HASSLE UPDATING XY !!
Is it? :shock:
I think: no. :naughty:

And possible problems with an auto-install:
1) which type? Install or Portable?
2) XY might run as normal user, install should need admin user
3) XY must be stopped when installing XY
4) there will be more...

OK: all this *can* be handled. But at which effort?
Easily. Installation programs are /extremely/ intelligent. System updates can be updated trivially and they are more complex than a single exe. The point is the author builds simple logic to handle all of your questions. And by the author doing it, all of the end users don't have to anymore. I use this install program http 'www' .thra ex software dot com/aiw/index.html and it can handle your concerns easily and it is dirt cheap.