Better update system

Features wanted...
zer0

Re: Better update system

Post by zer0 »

phitsc wrote:While this never bothered me too much...
In all honesty, the title of the thread is somewhat misleading: there isn't an update system. It's non-existent. It's as if the current state of affairs is treated as "that will do". Am I losing sleep over it? No. But whenever I come across a system that delights, I think "I wish XY had this". The update engine should be an inherent part of the application.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

autocart

Post by autocart »

zer0 wrote:But whenever I come across a system that delights, I think "I wish XY had this". The update engine should be an inherent part of the application.
Actually it is true especially for XY with so many frequent updates. SimpleUpdater is not bad, but always having to hit that button just to see if there was an update (even more so in periods of no updates) can start to become lame at times.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

autocart wrote:
zer0 wrote:But whenever I come across a system that delights, I think "I wish XY had this". The update engine should be an inherent part of the application.
Actually it is true especially for XY with so many frequent updates. SimpleUpdater is not bad, but always having to hit that button just to see if there was an update (even more so in periods of no updates) can start to become lame at times.
Quite. One can script an updater to handle their needs to the Nth degree, but nobody is looking for a rocket-science approach here. A periodical -- configurable as once a day/week/month -- check with a checkbox as to whether check for beta versions as well. Also, a checkbox to toggle pre-downloading the update(s). Once an update is detected, pop up a message to say so with changelog listed. Buttons to show: "Update Now" and "Remind Me Later". "Update Now" would close XY, silently update and then re-open it. "Remind Me Later" would show up again according to update-checking frequency selection chosen or next XY start, whichever happens first.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

houkdr1

Post by houkdr1 »

Is any work planned for this? An option to automatically keep XYplorer up to date without having to manually do it would be awesome, especially with all the appreciated frequent updates!

Consider the following workflow:

1. Launch XYPlorer (because you need to find a file)
2. Update notifier interrupts your train of thought, you may or may not have time to update it right now so this may happen more than once.
3. Click link to take you to website.
4. Click another link on website to download.
5. Navigate to containing folder and extract zip file, multiple steps and clicks.
5. Launch updater executable.
6. Click Next a bunch of times.
7. It finally updates.

I have XYPlorer on two computers, so the above workflow is doubled.

This can get in the way of productivity, the reason I use XYPlorer to begin with!

An optional way to automatically install new updates in the background with no intervention would be much preferred, or at least a way to streamline some of the above steps. Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree, but alas, my current installer does not support this.

I'd recommend you turn off
Configuration | Startup & Exit | Check for updates on startup
and do it actively when you have time for an update:
Help | Online Support | Check for Updates

As an alternative there are several scripts here available in the forum that streamline the update process.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:I agree, but alas, my current installer does not support this.

I'd recommend you turn off
Configuration | Startup & Exit | Check for updates on startup
and do it actively when you have time for an update:
Help | Online Support | Check for Updates

As an alternative there are several scripts here available in the forum that streamline the update process.
If I am not mistaken, you are using NSIS, are you not? NSIS supports silent installs as per http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Docs/Chapter4.html#silent

Software should be taking care of itself through updates instead of offloading that task -- however little effort it may require -- onto its users. Pop up a dialogue alerting the user that an update is available and a list of new features/fixes > click OK to download and do the install > launch the new version.
Windows 7/10

sasumner

Post by sasumner »

Ugh. I hate updating that is not under my control. I can't count the number of times I've updated software, only to have something that was previously working now be broken. Then I have to go fix it--I call this "Tech Trash Time", time spent fixing something I shouldn't have to. Note that I'm not talking about XY here, because I can't recall its updates ever doing this to me, but still...

I personally like keeping an eye on when new XY updates come out...checking out the new features. If it was updated silently, how many awesome new features would just quietly be there, with the user unaware of them?

My 2c.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

sasumner wrote:Ugh. I hate updating that is not under my control. I can't count the number of times I've updated software, only to have something that was previously working now be broken. Then I have to go fix it--I call this "Tech Trash Time", time spent fixing something I shouldn't have to. Note that I'm not talking about XY here, because I can't recall its updates ever doing this to me, but still...

I personally like keeping an eye on when new XY updates come out...checking out the new features. If it was updated silently, how many awesome new features would just quietly be there, with the user unaware of them?

My 2c.
I do not think that anyone is suggesting for the update system to be outside of your control. First of all, for a hypothetical system, you would need to enable it. Second of all, when it discovers that an update is available, it will pop up with window that tells you what new stuff is in and gives you the option to update there and then or you can cancel and dismiss the notification. In any case, this update system would not preclude you from going to the site on a regular basis to check out what's new if you did not remember it from the last time the update process ran.
Windows 7/10

Daikin

Post by Daikin »

+10 for a better update system!

How? Wel, in short: I use XYplorer on 5 machines, each with the installed and the portable version (each with different settings).
Really great to see so much updates (catch Total Commander :biggrin: :wink: ) but a litlle pain in the ass for updating those 10 ... :oops:
Anyway, keep up the good work!

zer0

Post by zer0 »

By the way of some feedback, it does irk me that the update process does not re-launch XY automatically. Since I had it running when I kicked off the update system, I expect it to return to the original state.
Windows 7/10

zer0

Post by zer0 »

And it irked me again this morning, because I forgot that it doesn't do that. What's the reason (other than you haven't coded it that way)? :?
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I did not see a way.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:I did not see a way.
That puzzles me, since the normal interactive installer has a checkbox to start it, so no way to implement the same code without the visual part?
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:
That puzzles me, since the normal interactive installer has a checkbox to start it, so no way to implement the same code without the visual part?
Both share the same problem: An XY instance run from the installer inherits the installer rights and would be run as admin. This is usually not desired. I did not find a way to "delevate" the instance on running it.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:
zer0 wrote:
Both share the same problem: An XY instance run from the installer inherits the installer rights and would be run as admin. This is usually not desired. I did not find a way to "delevate" the instance on running it.
I am admin on my machines and happy to let XY run as such. Is the crowd who would not like that bigger than the crowd who can simply quick elevated XY and run non-elevated?
Windows 7/10