Support for Link Shell Extension

Features wanted...
genieautravail

Support for Link Shell Extension

Post by genieautravail »

Hello,

Please, consider to add support for Link Shell Extension :
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... llext.html

In windows Explorer, when I do a right click on an empty area, I can drop a hardlink, a junction, a volume mountpoint or a symbolic link.
But in XYExplorer, when I do a right click on an empty area, I don't have access to the contextual menu of Windows Explorer. :roll:

TheQwerty

Re: Support for Link Shell Extension

Post by TheQwerty »

Right clicking the folder's icon in the address bar will bring up the shell's context menu for that path.

If you would prefer it also work on the list's whitespace there is an INI tweak:
; Tweak: 0=Edit menu, 1=Folder's shell menu, 2=Favorites, 3=reserved, 4=Tabs
CEA_ListRightClickOnWhite=1
Just follow the directions here http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3543 to set CEA_ListRightClickOnWhite to 1.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1. See Help / Paste Special: All sorts of link creation are supported.
2. Items not in context menu, see here: http://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=ctx64

genieautravail

Post by genieautravail »

Thank you very much for the answers ! :D

Minimax

Post by Minimax »

LSE now works in XYplorer due to my asking.

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... nsion.html

Download link 32-bit LSE on 64-bit Windows:
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... n32x64.exe

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cool, thanks for asking!

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

I have just tried "Paste Special" as hard link. Is there any way to see that this file is hard linked? I mean is it possible to show (e.g. by coloring) that the physical file has more than one name in the file system?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LittleBiG wrote:I have just tried "Paste Special" as hard link. Is there any way to see that this file is hard linked? I mean is it possible to show (e.g. by coloring) that the physical file has more than one name in the file system?
There would be a way, but it is too slow to use it for the main file list. It would be possible though as new field in the FIle INfo Tips.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

admin wrote:There would be a way, but it is too slow to use it for the main file list. It would be possible though as new field in the FIle INfo Tips
Any kind of solution would be appreciated by me.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

admin wrote:
LittleBiG wrote:I have just tried "Paste Special" as hard link. Is there any way to see that this file is hard linked? I mean is it possible to show (e.g. by coloring) that the physical file has more than one name in the file system?
There would be a way, but it is too slow to use it for the main file list. It would be possible though as new field in the FIle INfo Tips.
If I understood it right a hardlink is just the same as the normal link (say: the original name) of a file, with another name.
And just had a look: Wiki says a hardlink can't be distinguished from the "original" link.

If this is right the only thing you can do would be to count the number of links refering to a physical file. And if you find more than 1 then hardlink(s) must have been made.

And if you delete the original link, the physical file remains with the second name, previously made as a hardlink...
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

Marco

Post by Marco »

PeterH, exactly my thought.
The problem is thus more of knowing if a file has more than 1 hardlink.
Couldn't be possible to use this http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/ln/ln.html ?
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

Twisten

Post by Twisten »

Reminds me why i never got into messing with links, other than for the purposes of drives mount points.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just to make sure: retrieving the number of hardlinks is no problem, the code is already present in the app since 2008 but I never used it.

So everybody agrees that it makes sense to add this as another "extra field" to File Info Tips?

Minimax

Post by Minimax »

admin wrote:Cool, thanks for asking!
Thanks for the indispensable contextual "Paste Special" feature. Particularly "Paste as Junction" etc.
If I had known this earlier I wouldn't have asked for LSE compatibility though. I truly underestimated XYplorer's capabilities here. :shock:

But this is a nice coincidence in favor of XYplorer and other users, thus I am satisfied. :D

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

admin wrote:So everybody agrees that it makes sense to add this as another "extra field" to File Info Tips?
Me, definately. So there will be a chance to know in advance that deleting of a particular file won't free up disk space and there is another name to label this content somewhere...

Plus, I was wondering if searching all name (hardlink) of a file somehow is a file management task or not? :?: I must to tell it is not essential to me now, as I said I was just wondering.