Custom Move

Features wanted...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Custom Move

Post by admin »

highend wrote:Will the new custom move make these two windows dispensable?
Yes. The on-collision behavior is configured beforehand in the Custom Copy configuration.

highend

Post by highend »

That's good news, these damn windows were bothering me for much too long^^ :D
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

acheton

Post by acheton »

admin wrote:Well actually I made 3 checkboxes because it deemed me more practical:

Code: Select all

[x] Use Custom Copy
    [x] For all copy operations
    [x] For all move operations
This makes far more sense to me that the previous option.

highend

Post by highend »

All checkmarks set (use + copy + move + no progress dialog)

But drag and drop (leftclick) on one directory (intra-volume) to the other pane where the same directory already exists doesn't delete the source directory after the custom move has finished.

Just to prove that it's really a custom move:
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png (16.15 KiB) Viewed 2016 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highend wrote:All checkmarks set (use + copy + move + no progress dialog)

But drag and drop (leftclick) on one directory (intra-volume) to the other pane where the same directory already exists doesn't delete the source directory after the custom move has finished.
Strange, I cannot reproduce it. Could it be that not all files in the source directory were deleted?

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Thanks for the adding the custom move. I have but one complaint: For intra-volume moves, I really don't want to see any popup -- not just the progress dialog but that smaller "move completed" popup that still comes up (at least as of the 10.20.0012 beta). Could we have an option to omit that?

Normally, I want more confirmations than most people do, but there's really no need for any when you do an intra-volume move; I trust that the Windows system call will reliably update the directory entries.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jerry wrote:Thanks for the adding the custom move. I have but one complaint: For intra-volume moves, I really don't want to see any popup -- not just the progress dialog but that smaller "move completed" popup that still comes up (at least as of the 10.20.0012 beta). Could we have an option to omit that?

Normally, I want more confirmations than most people do, but there's really no need for any when you do an intra-volume move; I trust that the Windows system call will reliably update the directory entries.
Correct, change comes with next beta.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

admin wrote:
Jerry wrote: Correct, change comes with next beta.
Great. Another related request: I often move several files/folders to different locations, sometimes on different drives, and I always use the background processing queue. With the custom copy, only the progress dialog for the last move remains up. I would like to be able to see the progress dialogs for all the individual move operations remain, until I dismiss them. Is that possible?
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jerry wrote:
admin wrote:
Jerry wrote: Correct, change comes with next beta.
Great. Another related request: I often move several files/folders to different locations, sometimes on different drives, and I always use the background processing queue. With the custom copy, only the progress dialog for the last move remains up. I would like to be able to see the progress dialogs for all the individual move operations remain, until I dismiss them. Is that possible?
Not possible currently, and not easy (pretty impossible with the current architecture) to add.

You would get that result if you'd choose parallel processing instead of queueing, but it's not really recommended because it's usually slower and tougher for the disks.

What part of the progress dialogs are you interested in? Maybe some of that info could be added to the "Background Jobs" listing...

highend

Post by highend »

Don, can we get an option (or a .ini tweak if you don't want to make in generally available) to disable this dialog box (you get it if you rightclick on a directory and select move up and there is a parent directory with the same name).
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png (8.79 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
Tia,
highend

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

admin wrote:Not possible currently, and not easy (pretty impossible with the current architecture) to add...
What part of the progress dialogs are you interested in? Maybe some of that info could be added to the "Background Jobs" listing...
Ok. I assume that if any one of the moves has a problem that will be clearly indicated on the background jobs listing, hopefully with an attention-rousing icon? It would be useful to be able to get to the report details for custom move/copies from the background job listing. When moving folders, for example, the details on a custom move in the listing doesn't show the individual files moved. And of course, if there were an error with one or more individual files in a folder, I certainly want to see that.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highend wrote:Don, can we get an option (or a .ini tweak if you don't want to make in generally available) to disable this dialog box (you get it if you rightclick on a directory and select move up and there is a parent directory with the same name).
Unbenannt.png
Tia,
highend
Hmm, are you a danger freak? :wink: And what reaction should be assumed, OK or Cancel?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jerry wrote:
admin wrote:Not possible currently, and not easy (pretty impossible with the current architecture) to add...
Ok. I assume that if any one of the moves has a problem that will be clearly indicated on the background jobs listing, hopefully with an attention-rousing icon? It would be useful to be able to get to the report details for custom move/copies from the background job listing. When moving folders, for example, the details on a custom move in the listing doesn't show the individual files moved. And of course, if there were an error with one or more individual files in a folder, I certainly want to see that.
Understood. Currently you don't get that detail in the BJ listing. Just a general warning icon if anything failed. I'll make a note on my Custom Copy 2.0 list.

highend

Post by highend »

Hmm, are you a danger freak? And what reaction should be assumed, OK or Cancel?
Hehe. I use this function at least 10 times a day (with a parent directory with the same name). It would be a tweak for advanced users that know what they are doing (and know the consequences, too).

"OK" should be the assumed reaction.

Thanks a lot.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

See NoCheckMoveUp in next BETA... :)