FTP built in

Features wanted...
little titty

FTP built in

Post by little titty »

Would be nice to have FTP built in. So many even free filemanagers have it now. Quite a lot of people these days are maintaining a web site and being able to upload files to their web page with FTP would be handy. Yes you can use a separate program but as I said other filemanagers are having it built in so I would like it in Xy too
I tried total commanders and it worked nice and smooth.
Why doesn't everybody have a great user name like mine?

nas8e9

Re: FTP built in

Post by nas8e9 »

little titty wrote:Would be nice to have FTP built in. So many even free filemanagers have it now. Quite a lot of people these days are maintaining a web site and being able to upload files to their web page with FTP would be handy. Yes you can use a separate program but as I said other filemanagers are having it built in so I would like it in Xy too
I tried total commanders and it worked nice and smooth.
This has come up before.

In general, could you search the forum before posting? It's no Google, but just searching for "FTP" does yield relevant results on the first page. By adding to existing threads, it keeps the forum slightly less unmanageable.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

nas8e9 wrote:This has come up before.

In general, could you search the forum before posting? It's no Google, but just searching for "FTP" does yield relevant results on the first page. By adding to existing threads, it keeps the forum slightly less unmanageable.
Thanks! I often have to post similar so nice to have someone else do it...

Also, FTP is a very complex area and opens up a whole can of worms if we start down that road so likely better to not do even a bare-bones approach as it will lead to many other requests...for example, my web host requires a SFTP setup so a plain FTP is of no use to me.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Thanks! I often have to post similar so nice to have someone else do it...
No problem; I had a warm and slow afternoon anyway :).
Also, FTP is a very complex area and opens up a whole can of worms if we start down that road so likely better to not do even a bare-bones approach as it will lead to many other requests...for example, my web host requires a SFTP setup so a plain FTP is of no use to me.
To borrow from previous threads, FileZilla is much more capable than other FM's built-in functionality and free to boot.

little titty

Post by little titty »

hmm, I didnt search as if it was talked about before I thought it might not have been discussed recently.
Well I will just switch to Total commander whenever I want to upload to my website then :D
I could also use:
Free Commander;Master commander;Nexus File;Nomad net;Unreal commander;Xplorer2 lite(Uses Microsoft IE module for FTP, type the URL to the file manager's address box. FTP site can be added to favorites. ‘ftp://user:password@ftp.microsoft.com’ URL syntax can be used for password protected sites 4) ect etc etc
Too complicated to add to XYploere eh? these seem to manage it and they are all free.
Why doesn't everybody have a great user name like mine?