Highlight recently used folders

Features wanted...
MrAnalogy

Highlight recently used folders

Post by MrAnalogy »

When you're working with paper files/folders you often have physical indications of recently used items (they're near the top of the pile, they're more "worn" looking, dog-eared, etc.)

It would be really cool if XY would highlight recently used folders. Maybe in yellow, with maybe 10 shades. With some some simple algorithm for "use" that "wears off" (expires).

So the more and longer you use it the "brighter" is is, then it gets less bright over time.
Software company owner

MrAnalogy

Re: Highlight recently used folders

Post by MrAnalogy »

Mini Tree sorta does this, but I'm still learning how to use that.

I can't quite see how to add folders to the Mini Tree since it only adds them when it's in MT mode and you can only view (in that mode) folders that are in your favorites, etc.
Software company owner

acheton

Post by acheton »

MrAnalogy wrote:It would be really cool if XY would highlight recently used folders. Maybe in yellow, with maybe 10 shades. With some some simple algorithm for "use" that "wears off" (expires).
This is what the Color filters feature is for, simply go to Tools -> Configuration and select Color Filters. You can then setup filters to colour files and folders based on the age of the folder. I use a filter like:

AgeM:<1d

which means modified within the last day. If you look up color filters in the help you will see much more. I also based my filters on those done by TheQwerty here: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... lor+filter

Hope this helps.

Ach

eil

Post by eil »

acheton, posted while i was typing :lol: still MrAnalogy
you can try to do that with color-filtering by setting color shades for modified parameter(more recent= more intensive color).
Last edited by eil on 22 Apr 2011 11:58, edited 2 times in total.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

eil wrote:acheton, posted while i was typing :lol: still MrAnalogy
you can try to do that with color-filtering by setting color shades for modified parameter(more recent= more intensive color).
But...but....he's NOT referring to recently modified items, but recently used which are not the same thing! :roll:

If user has browsed a given folder 15 times in last day, that would then be possibly a different color than one browsed only 5 times...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

eil

Post by eil »

made an experiment with ageM color with interval 1, 1-3, 3-6, 6-10 minutes = it worked but somewhat incorrect :?
still understand that it's not what was asked= that ought to be kinda counter for access times, as i understand. but that is for scripting only, if possible at all.

added::
j_c_hallgren, now i see that- any ideas? :)
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

Forty-Two

Post by Forty-Two »

Doesn't the Colour filter "ageA:" colour by Accessed (used) date?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Forty-Two wrote:Doesn't the Colour filter "ageA:" colour by Accessed (used) date?
The OP's request was based not on age but frequency of usage so AFAIK there is no current way to do this as it would require keeping a count of accesses and then basing the color on those results.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
Forty-Two wrote:Doesn't the Colour filter "ageA:" colour by Accessed (used) date?
The OP's request was based not on age but frequency of usage so AFAIK there is no current way to do this as it would require keeping a count of accesses and then basing the color on those results.
Is it frequency of usage or simply order of last usage? The latter is already implemented in "Recent Locations", although not with shading of the tree.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:Is it frequency of usage or simply order of last usage?
I think frequency based on OP "more and longer you use it".

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
admin wrote:Is it frequency of usage or simply order of last usage?
I think frequency based on OP "more and longer you use it".
Yes, right. But, while I like the idea of "worn" looking, dog-eared folders, I think another dimension of shading/coloring would be just too much.

kamprint

Post by kamprint »

Is there a way to highlight or find recently added folders? My reason for requesting this is that my backup utility does not copy newly added folders. It is therefore necessary to copy these manually. (The backup utility then replicates files within those folders OK.) I would like to make sure I have in fact copied manually all the recently added folders. I tried searching for these using a zero file size filter together with a 'within the past year' date filter. This only found some empty system files, but not the recently added folders with my own content. Surely there must be a way to do this, or if not, it would be a very useful feature to have. Thanks for any hints.

highend

Post by highend »

Define "recently added folder"...

Ones, that you navigated into inside XYplorer?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal