Password protect

Features wanted...
tomhatz

Password protect

Post by tomhatz »

Would it be possible to password protest files and/or directories.
This would allow to place 'em in a thumb drive without the need of other encryption software.
Thanks

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Password protect

Post by j_c_hallgren »

It's my opinion that a function like that requires such highly specialized knowledge of cryptography that it's definitely not feasible for Don to add that to XY...plus, IMO it's not really within the area of functions that would be handled/covered by a file manager and should be left to outside products that can be interfaced with XY.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nothing to add to JC's. :)

tomhatz

Post by tomhatz »

there are many programs that use password protect, excel, word, winzip etc.
I thought that such a feature could be useful to many people.
there are many features in XY that I don't use, this could be one for someone else.
and I would not think that such a task would be too difficult for Don's capabilities.

In any case even Don thought my idea was not worth pursuing. Sorry for the suggestion.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

tomhatz wrote:there are many programs that use password protect, excel, word, winzip etc.
But Excel & Word use such poor protection AFAIK that it's just enough to keep out a casual user so to get decent protection like TrueCrypt or similar requires some cryptography skills
Sorry for the suggestion.
No need to be sorry about it! Just that it's been asked before with similar results so keep on thinking about ideas that might be more within scope of Don's expertise.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Sorry: still I don't understand...

I think Excel, word, winzip etc don't protect just files - they protect their private files. And these files will be opened and decrypted only by their respective application.
I think in this case applications could not read their files, if XY would have encrypted them? Only XY could do?

From my point of view this is different to i.e. truecrypt (or others), mounting encrypted data (file, volume or whatever) as a drive and do the necessary en-/de-cryption (as a driver) in a transparent way for the application(s). If you think of this: just use truecrypt.
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

tomhatz

Post by tomhatz »

truecrypt will do fine, thank you

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Something to be aware of re Truecrypt: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5375

Evolve

Post by Evolve »

PeterH wrote: 31 Jan 2011 15:47 Sorry: still I don't understand...
I think Excel, word, winzip etc don't protect just files - they protect their private files. And these files will be opened and decrypted only by their respective application.
I think in this case applications could not read their files, if XY would have encrypted them? Only XY could do?
From my point of view this is different to i.e. truecrypt (or others), mounting encrypted data (file, volume or whatever) as a drive and do the necessary en-/de-cryption (as a driver) in a transparent way for the application(s). If you think of this: just use truecrypt.
Exactly! One thing is when some encrypted directory would be decrypted for the internal use of XYplorer only, and completely different story when it's decrypted for the entire system with hundreds of apps one of which could potentially be a spy. Not even mentioning Windows OS itself and its telemetry capabilities (especially in the latest versions).
PS: The difference with Excel though is that Excel is the actual app to work with the data after decrypting it, whereas a file manager is not. A file manager would have to somehow allow access for, lets say, media player after decrypting a video file or the only things you could do with it are copy, paste and rename but not actually watch it.