Context menu editing?

Features wanted...
Stilez

Context menu editing?

Post by Stilez »

The context menus for the folder tree and file list can be customized, but other context menus can't be customized and the customization is limited to checkboxes of standard options.

Is there any chance of making all context menus fully customizable, with the customization including <text label> <script command> to allow addition of user-defined commands.

Concept: The user gets a dropdown list of the context menus XYplorer can affect. For the context menu selected, the user can then:
  1. Modify it by dragging standard context menu items from a list (including submenus and separators)
  2. Add custom commands of the form <icon> <text label> <script to run if clicked>
  3. Set it back to default
I've found this really useful elsewhere!

eil

Re: Context menu editing?

Post by eil »

+1 for full customization.
one of things i like XYplorer is that it kinda resembles me Opera's behaviour. so just like her's context menu can be fully customized, i'd much like he's to be as well.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Will come with CEA. Easily.

chris28

Post by chris28 »

What is "CEA"

zer0

Post by zer0 »

chris28 wrote:What is "CEA"
No need for large letters, right? :roll: CEA -- Custom Event Actions.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

chris28 wrote:What is "CEA"

See The XYplorer Roadmap
or the History.txt from License Lounge
Acronyms
AB Address Bar
ADP Application Data Path
CEA Customized Event Actions
CKS Customized Keyboard Shortcuts
CTB Customized Toolbar Buttons
DP Dual Pane
FVS Folder View Settings
HPT History per Tab
IP Info Panel
KS Keyboard Shortcut
MDBU Mouse Down Blow Up
MT Mini Tree
NP Navigation Panel
PFA Portable File Associations
POM Portable Openwith Menu
QS Quick Search
SB Statusbar
SC Scripting Command
SRC Search Results Caching
TB Toolbar
UDC User-Defined Commands
VF Visual Filter

aurumdigitus

Post by aurumdigitus »

What happens after all these have been implemented? Does the sun go nova? :P

eil

Post by eil »

same here= stupid question, but what about that CEA? it's a function or interface implementation, editor?

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

eil wrote:same here= stupid question, but what about that CEA? it's a function or interface implementation, editor?
It's an event system. Making it possible for XY to call user-defined scripts when it performs certain actions (On Startup, On Right Click). The thinking in this case is a right click will fire your script instead of calling the shell, or so I believe.

Honestly, I don't think CEA will end up being an acceptable solution, at least not at first, because it's often difficult to convert the shell extensions into command line tools that can be called via XY's current scripting features. But I hope Don surprises me here. :P

zer0

Post by zer0 »

TheQwerty wrote:It's an event system. Making it possible for XY to call user-defined scripts when it performs certain actions (On Startup, On Right Click). The thinking in this case is a right click will fire your script instead of calling the shell, or so I believe.
Just having scripts running on start-up or if a potential file-based event occurs doesn't sound very impressive to me. It's already possible to run scripts on start-up and certain types of "listeners" can be implemented either in XY or in conjunction with an external resource. I hope that there will be more to it than that.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

eil

Post by eil »

thanks for explaining what is CEA. but now even more i can't understand how that can make XYplorer more customizable!?)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

eil wrote:thanks for explaining what is CEA. but now even more i can't understand how that can make XYplorer more customizable!?)
You will be able to write a script that will be triggered on certain events, e.g. when you right-click a file. The script can pop a menu. So you can write your own right-click menu.

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Edit: Oh, Don was quicker, anyway, since i have already wrote it:
eil wrote:thanks for explaining what is CEA. but now even more i can't understand how that can make XYplorer more customizable!?)
I can imagine you will be able to let XY trigger actions if an event occurs (as far as i understood).
Mostly the action will be to execute an script to let XY do what the user needs.

Events may be perhaps
mouse clicks,
key press
start, minimize or close XY
enter an defined folder,
size of an folder
date or time
mouse hover over an file typ or an place on the gui

Examples:

- hold Strg-key and click on an file to execute an script which will copy this file to an defined place

- if you change the CWD (current working dir) to folder X:\yyy\zzz
will trigger XY to execute an script to change the layout to single pane, hide the catalog pane
and enable the Info Panel and select the Preview-tab

- if an new file is added to the CWD will trigger XY to execute an script to popup an message box to alert you

- i hope we get an option to execute an script every n minutes
or execute an script at every first of an month

- maybe an option to execute an script on XY minimize or close

- maybe ...

Stilez

Post by Stilez »

admin wrote:You will be able to write a script that will be triggered on certain events, e.g. when you right-click a file. The script can pop a menu. So you can write your own right-click menu.
Is it likely to be possible to override or customise existing context menu items, or limited to edit XYplorer context items?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Stilez wrote:
admin wrote:You will be able to write a script that will be triggered on certain events, e.g. when you right-click a file. The script can pop a menu. So you can write your own right-click menu.
Is it likely to be possible to override or customise existing context menu items, or limited to edit XYplorer context items?
override or customise existing context menu items - no.