Context menu editing?

Features wanted...
Stilez

Re: Context menu editing?

Post by Stilez »

* nods *

There's other software for that, anyway.

chris28

Post by chris28 »

What's that

Stilez

Post by Stilez »

Programs like ShellExView, ShellMenuView, Explorer Context Menu Platinum, all edit context menu in the default shell. JDContextMenu and FileMenu Tools both have context menu customization capabilities.

It makes sense that XYplorer doesn't customize all shell context menu items (but allows customizing of its own context menu additions). So it's useful to know what can be done with other shell items if needed.

Had to ask whether XYplorer would include shell context editing or not, and thanks for the clear response :D

eil

Post by eil »

all this theme pushed me to one another thought:
if there is(and there will be) no context menu editor, and it's stated that XY takes menu from Windows, than for what is it's internal context menu? i run non-english Win and i clearly see that it(internal) almost totally copies the default one, except for program-self-integrated ones. what's it for? or why then not use the internal and make it editable?
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

eil wrote:all this theme pushed me to one another thought:
if there is(and there will be) no context menu editor, and it's stated that XY takes menu from Windows, than for what is it's internal context menu? i run non-english Win and i clearly see that it(internal) almost totally copies the default one, except for program-self-integrated ones. what's it for? or why then not use the internal and make it editable?
As you said, XYplorer merely adds to Windows's default menu. Disabling stuff while calling/creating the context menu is probably not possible: I suspect that the utilities listed previously do not work by intercepting the creation of a context menu; they merely disable stuff in the registry so that the context menu doesn't pick those up when created.

The lower part of the context menu is a combination of Windows's default context menu items (not all of which are offered by XYplorer itself) plus any third-party shell extensions (again, with functionality that isn't all offered by XYplorer). Losing the Windows and third-party menu items seems a step back.

Finally, XYplorer's part of the context menu can be customized through Configuration > Extended > Context Menus.

eil

Post by eil »

no, no - i'm talking about "another but the same" context menu XY has. look, the left one if default and the right one is internal, but it appears not when clicking on files or folders.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

eil wrote:no, no - i'm talking about "another but the same" context menu XY has. look, the left one if default and the right one is internal, but it appears not when clicking on files or folders.
The left one is the context menu for files, while the right one is a generic one that's displayed when clicking the empty white space in the List pane, i.e. it offers functionality that's not related to selected file(s). I'm still not entirely sure what you'd like changed: discard the right, white-space only, one?

eil

Post by eil »

you're correct about their appear-conditions, but how is it that the right "offers functionality that's not related to selected file" if it has quite the same functions?
i was talking about: why using default menu at all, if internal really copies it and considering it's internal, it's easier to make it customizable.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

eil wrote:you're correct about their appear-conditions, but how is it that the right "offers functionality that's not related to selected file" if it has quite the same functions?
I've looked at the functionality again, but what I see are functions relating to creating new items (as opposed to acting on selected files) and changing view settings, which the left one lacks. The two menus do seem to cover different functionality.
eil wrote:i was talking about: why using default menu at all, if internal really copies it and considering it's internal, it's easier to make it customizable.
As I posted earlier, both the Windows items as well as third-party ones offer at least partial functionality not offered by XYplorer; also, I don't think you can have a custom context menu with third-party menu items (which I assume you'd want available) while leaving out the default Windows ones.

Basically, if you want all functionality (XYplorer, Windows built-in, third-party shell extensions), you need the current arrangement. XYplorer does allow:
1. customizing and completely removing its own commands;
2. not showing any shell extension menu items (Configuration > Extended > Default items only in shell context menu).
For the reasons given earlier, I don't see how the developer could combine all functionality while allowing full customisation. I'll be interested to hear from him (eventually; he's currently in lab, non-forum mode, unfortunately).

eil

Post by eil »

but how about all these "copy, paste, move"? the right one misses just few things in my point of view. besides, in left one i'd delete 1/3 of lines, 'cause they are real garbage, but that is not so easy :(

i really didn't insisted or demanded for customization- better to say i was dreaming :) as i posted in the begining of the post XY really resembles me Opera's behaviour(all these tabs, options and the way it's all handled with mouse), so i let myself to dream about the same context menu "anything you want"-customization, that opera has ;)

Zodler

Post by Zodler »

It would be very helpful if there was an option to add custom context menus when you right click a file. Dopus has this and it's very useful. I vote for this if XYplorer doesn't have it already.

alps

Post by alps »

adding of one's own text,to edit the menu captions makes totally customizable.

Codi

Post by Codi »

Stefan wrote: 03 Feb 2011 16:19
See The XYplorer Roadmap
or the History.txt from License Lounge
Acronyms
AB Address Bar
ADP Application Data Path
CEA Customized Event Actions
CKS Customized Keyboard Shortcuts
CTB Customized Toolbar Buttons
DP Dual Pane
FVS Folder View Settings
HPT History per Tab
IP Info Panel
KS Keyboard Shortcut
MDBU Mouse Down Blow Up
MT Mini Tree
NP Navigation Panel
PFA Portable File Associations
POM Portable Openwith Menu
QS Quick Search
SB Statusbar
SC Scripting Command
SRC Search Results Caching
TB Toolbar
UDC User-Defined Commands
VF Visual Filter
I just registered here to ask this. I tried since 3 days now to get Custom Right Click Actions to work inside XYplorer. Not a success so far. I found many threads in which that was questioned.
So, i know everyone probably has a real Job also and not much time to develop things. I really don´t want to be angry, but how is it possible that in 2019 this "CEA" is still not avaible?
All i want is a Custom Context Menu when i right click on a File or Folder in XYplorer, and i´m pretty sure i´m not standing alone here.
I´ve seen that if you go to "Tools - Configuration - General - Mouse, Mouse, Usability" we can activate "Custom Items in Shell Context Menu" for the File List/Folder Tree. But what is the point in this if we can´t create and add your own commands to this? All there is are precreated commands, and not even that many. Is there another option to acomplish this?
Thank you.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There will be a total remake of item context menus. The plan is all worked out. Just waiting for the time... :)

eil

Post by eil »

much waiting for that time.! :twisted: