What about library support in Windows 7 64 bit?

Features wanted...
DorothyFan1

What about library support in Windows 7 64 bit?

Post by DorothyFan1 »

Does XYplorer support the new Windows 7 libraries feature?

nas8e9

Re: What about library support in Windows 7 64 bit?

Post by nas8e9 »

DorothyFan1 wrote:Does XYplorer support the new Windows 7 libraries feature?
Not yet, but coming (listed as Win7 stuff).

zer0

Post by zer0 »

nas8e9 wrote:Not yet, but coming (listed as Win7 stuff).
The last update on that feature that I read from Don is that it is very unlikely that it will be added this year.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

zer0 wrote:
The last update on that feature that I read from Don is that it is very unlikely that it will be added this year.
Thank you for the info. Could you provide a link to that post?

It's a bit confusing since a lot is listed on the roadmap as coming *before* the 64-bit version, which is still listed as coming in 2011.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

nas8e9 wrote:It's a bit confusing since a lot is listed on the roadmap as coming *before* the 64-bit version, which is still listed as coming in 2011.
The sequence of roadmap doesn't always mean that items will be done in that order...things are always subject to change.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:It's a bit confusing since a lot is listed on the roadmap as coming *before* the 64-bit version, which is still listed as coming in 2011.
The sequence of roadmap doesn't always mean that items will be done in that order...things are always subject to change.
I've seen that happen, I think :). Also, this post:
admin wrote:
zero wrote:Don, as we are a week into a brand new year, may I suggest that you create a 2011 version of this thread? With several big features -- 64-bit version, XYcopy 2.0, Win7 stuff, etc -- earmarked for the next 12 months, a poll would be appropriate. As long as the vote count would make real impact on the order in which features are implemented, of course.
No, I'd rather keep it open and surprising. I have so many great ideas for this year, I don't need a poll to tell me what to do.
Probably best for non-developers to just point to the roadmap without guessing when that feature will happen, then 8).

zer0

Post by zer0 »

nas8e9 wrote:
zer0 wrote:
Thank you for the info. Could you provide a link to that post?
No problemo. Go here: http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/xypl ... e-license/ click "Load Older Comments" and look for a comment dated Nov 6 2010 at 4:46am.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

zer0 wrote:No problemo. Go here: http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/xypl ... e-license/ click "Load Older Comments" and look for a comment dated Nov 6 2010 at 4:46am.
Thank you for the link. Sorry if my question seemed doubting; I couldn't remember seeing such a post in this forum and was doubting my memory :mrgreen:.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This quote:
Support for Libraries is planned, but with low priority. I wouldn't bet on it being added before 2012.
I still agree with it.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:This quote:
Support for Libraries is planned, but with low priority. I wouldn't bet on it being added before 2012.
I still agree with it.
If the awesomeness of Libraries won't make it into XYplorer before the ball drops once again -- support for it has been asked for numerous times and lack thereof cited in several reviews -- then ideas up your sleeve should definitely blow our socks off :wink:
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:
I still agree with it.
If the awesomeness of Libraries won't make it into XYplorer before the ball drops once again -- support for it has been asked for numerous times and lack thereof cited in several reviews -- then ideas up your sleeve should definitely blow our socks off :wink:
I personally find Libraries totally unawesome. This way of organizing data is so un-XY that anybody who finds Libraries awesome should probably look out for another file manager...

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:
zer0 wrote:
I still agree with it.
I personally find Libraries totally unawesome. This way of organizing data is so un-XY that anybody who finds Libraries awesome should probably look out for another file manager...
...or we can look at XY's roadmap and see that VFOs are planned for at some point. While no doubt XY's virtual folders will have something special about them, at the baseline level they will be virtual folders as are Libraries. And rather than organising data, Libraries aggregate it; organisation is done elsewhere -- be it on the same machine or at a remote location.
Windows 7/10

mikes16

Post by mikes16 »

Not trying to feed the trolls or anything, but lack of support for libraries is a deal breaker for me. I keep all of my files in libraries. Directory Opus has had support for this for a year or more and its the only reason I am not using my XYplorer license. I know its "on the roadmap" - but seriously - the core function of this tool for "me" is to help with the management of my files - and at the moment without support for Win 7 64-bit fully makes the usefulness limited - as all of my files are in these unsupported locations.

I realize this will not change your direction, and obviously since I own a Lifetime license I am not going anywhere but I don't even have your product loaded at the moment because of this.

XYPlorer is powerful. It is awesome. It is great. But at its core if I cannot see my files in the virtual folders all the greatness is wasted on me. Sure - the API is awesome and you can script up loads of functionality - I personally don't use the scripting - I just want to see my files and manage them in XYPlorer.

Just my 2 cents. I wonder if this lack of virtual folder support and 64-bit support has led to a dip in license purchases?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mikes16 wrote:I wonder if this lack of virtual folder support and 64-bit support has led to a dip in license purchases?
Luckily to the contrary!

Trying to do everything possible, or everything a particular other file manager can do, is not a good strategy IMO. I think there are niches for a couple of good file managers. Users differ, file managers differ -- it works. We can happily coexist.