Let's talk about Favs

Features wanted...
JustinF

Re: Just Downloaded

Post by JustinF »

admin wrote::idea: I looked at the firefox bookmarks sidebar and saw a nice idea: instead of the horizontal scrollbar the items are end-ellipsed (three dots...). Not bad... any objections?
I had never opened Firefox's bookmarks sidebar before today, so I never noticed that. It seems like a good idea; as long as a tooltip pops up with the full name.
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

surrender

Re: Just Downloaded

Post by surrender »

admin wrote::idea: I looked at the firefox bookmarks sidebar and saw a nice idea: instead of the horizontal scrollbar the items are end-ellipsed (three dots...). Not bad... any objections?
No objections. Go for it.
BTW Opera too does the same, never noticed that.

phatmankerr

Structure/Icons

Post by phatmankerr »

Catalog is progressing well (great work) :D ...

Know we are not supposed to ask (work in progress etc. ). But is the Catalog going to have a tree structure (folders and sub folders) and is it going to be iconified - folder icons for Folders and generic file icon for files (realize this takes up space but I am a child of the icon generation and it makes it much easier for me to visualize the structure/favs ).

Cheers

Phat

admin
Site Admin

Re: Structure/Icons

Post by admin »

It will be treeish and iconish...

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

admin wrote:It will be treeish and iconish...
So far I'm very fond of the catalog idea and I'm looking forward to its completion.
And the other nice little additions are very helpful, i.e. drag'n'drop of tabs, wheel support a.s.o.

Great work again, thanks
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

RalphM wrote:So far I'm very fond of the catalog idea and I'm looking forward to its completion.
Well, I'm proud to say it is completed. I promised the ultimate killer feature and I think it is!

However, I have more ideas for the catalog!

Here's the schedule:

1) Of course, some polishing will follow the coming days.
2) Official release of XYplorer 5.0 (yep, it's time to change the biggie!).
3) Further development of the catalog: up to now there's only one item type "Destination/Location". But I already made space for more in the data structure. We will have:
- tab items: you can save tabs (with complete tab settings) into these cat item, and on a single click, the tab (or a set of tabs) will be re-created. This includes "Finding Tabs" as well, so you will have one-click search operations in the catalog!
- run items: one-click run any apps, or open any files with associated apps.
- and more...

You get the idea: XYplorer will develop from a mere file manager to a work manager! Inside a catalog category "My Project blah blah" you can collect all locations (folders, files, web sites), applications (incl. files opened by specific applications), and operations (incl. file find, copy to, move to, etc.), you need access to during the work on Project blah blah! File/Work managment can't get much better...

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

Why do we still have favourites anyway? Does anyone use them in addition to the catalog? What would be the point? Seems to me like another thing to confuse newbies.
test everything. hold on to the good.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Yes, I still use them! Ok, not that often, but I do...as they are still accessable easily when I have the catalog hidden so I can view more of tree, for example...
Also, they may well be easier for new user to handle before they get into the catalog scheme...as well as for keyboard shortcut users..
In addition, by marking a folder as Favorite, it sets tree text for it to bold and thus makes it visually easier to locate...having it in cat doesn't do so...
I can right-click in unused tree area and get a pop-up with them...can't do that with cat either..
Those are the reasons that I have "off the top of head" as to why to retain favorites.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Yes, I still use them! Ok, not that often, but I do...as they are still accessable easily when I have the catalog hidden so I can view more of tree, for example...
Also, they may well be easier for new user to handle before they get into the catalog scheme...as well as for keyboard shortcut users..
In addition, by marking a folder as Favorite, it sets tree text for it to bold and thus makes it visually easier to locate...having it in cat doesn't do so...
I can right-click in unused tree area and get a pop-up with them...can't do that with cat either..
Those are the reasons that I have "off the top of head" as to why to retain favorites.
The catalog could do all these things, eg. you could have catalog folders bold, a catalog list in the right-click menu etc. Is there a reason to have them as two separate lists?
test everything. hold on to the good.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:The catalog could do all these things, eg. you could have catalog folders bold, a catalog list in the right-click menu etc. Is there a reason to have them as two separate lists?
Be independent of the Catalog in case you don't like it. Backward compatibility. Plus: the Catalog is designed to grow functionally: there are a lot of ideas for it that won't fit into a right-click menu.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

Oh yeah I still use Favorites (Folders that is) a lot, mainly for the quick access on Tree ctxt menu, and through Move/Copy/Backup To feature (at least through menus), and also their bold state ;)

The Catalog is a whole different thing, and the 2 should definately be kept and independent from eachother.

Also, little FYI: Favorites are INI-related, while the Catalog is shared among all configs.
Proud XYplorer Fanatic