New backup name collision functionality for inline renames

Features wanted...
jjk

Re: New backup name collision functionality for inline renames

Post by jjk »

Yes, in this case it is a little different.
See here :
Attachments
Image.png
Image.png (13.55 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well... :roll: ... I'm sure there are people that are happy to spend their short but valuable time on this planet with renaming options... but I would rather reduce it to the (ideally no more than 3) most useful to the average power user...

MCS

Post by MCS »

You can get the kind of window I was talking about in windows 7 by moving a file from another folder to somewhere where a file of the same name exists. It gives you three simple choices with the last of them being keep both + suffix.

I'm also not voting for a huge rename feature that makes inline renaming a big deal. It's just that the current window "error - file already exists" is not very user friendly as the only thing you can do is press ok and manually rename stuff yourself. IMO this window would be a great and easy place to implement small, simple options that makes inline renaming faster and easier without causing any bloat.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

MCS wrote:You can get the kind of window I was talking about in windows 7 by moving a file from another folder to somewhere where a file of the same name exists. It gives you three simple choices with the last of them being keep both + suffix.

I'm also not voting for a huge rename feature that makes inline renaming a big deal. It's just that the current window "error - file already exists" is not very user friendly as the only thing you can do is press ok and manually rename stuff yourself. IMO this window would be a great and easy place to implement small, simple options that makes inline renaming faster and easier without causing any bloat.
I don't think "replace" is a useful option when you rename a file. I don't think I ever intended to replace a file when renaming another file...

admin
Site Admin

Re: New backup name collision functionality for normal renames

Post by admin »

On second thoughts I don't think a complication of the "Cannot" interface would be an improvement. At least for me I cannot imagine a situation where I would say Yes to an automatic alternative name (let alone overwrite the existing file). But I'm open to other opinions.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:I don't think "replace" is a useful option when you rename a file. I don't think I ever intended to replace a file when renaming another file...
I'll just jump in to say that I DO have that occur! And, for now, it's when I end up using "Swap Names" as substitute...the situation is: I have a file that I use as input to a VBS and the output is two files (the "Normal" lines and the "Error" lines in that file)...I then want to replace the base input with the "Normal" file...so if I could just do a rename of "LOG-NML.HTML" to "LOG.HTML" which would in effect delete the "-NML" file, that would make it a bit easier as I now do a swap and then have to delete the other file.

As far as limiting the options to 3: Is there some way that these could be picked by user via a config type setting so they could choose which ones they use most? Just a thought.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

MCS

Post by MCS »

admin wrote:On second thoughts I don't think a complication of the "Cannot" interface would be an improvement. At least for me I cannot imagine a situation where I would say Yes to an automatic alternative name (let alone overwrite the existing file). But I'm open to other opinions.
This is something I run into almost daily, although I probably do more file management than most people. It's not unusual to have files of almost identical content you want with the same file name (for me it's often sound effects files). Here's an example:

I go to the forest to record bird song and wind for a film project. I end up with 100 separate files of birdsong and wind on my portable recorder that are all named with indexed numbers only. I use the preview functionality of xyplorer to quickly listen to the files and name them according to whats in them. Filenames might be something like "Wind in trees, bright, gusty.wav" or "Birdsong, quick.wav". After about 20 files I start bumping into name collisions because I have recorded many sounds that fit the description of "Wind in trees, bright, gusty". Renaming them with XYplorer it's very annoying because I have to
a) manually add number suffixes from the start to avoid future name collisions
b) remember at what number suffix I am currently going with ALL files (which very hard and consumes lots of brain energy)

With an option to just automatically add +1 to the suffix or create a suffix if none is there would just save very much time and more importantly much less annoyance.

Also, I simply do not understand what is good about a window that just says "Error!" and where you have to manually press a 'Ok' button so you can manually go fix the error yourself. So much of XYplorer revolves around the idea of automating file management and making things quicker and easier, precisely so you wouldn't have to do things manually! I do not see a downside to having a small button or two to offer some kind of automatic solution to a name collision in this way. I sincerely think that there is no risk of "feature bloat" or something that would make inline renaming more difficult for some people if there were a few more options in the name collision error screen.

My 2c.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Makes sense. :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Check out v9.80.0011 ... 8)

MCS

Post by MCS »

Yay, that is awesome!! I think this beta implementation is already very good, simple, effective, intuitive and fast! Perfect for my needs, thanks a lot, I am sure other users will like this as well!!! :o

zer0

Post by zer0 »

I'm very much against having "Overwrite" in the dialogue there. It's not possible to undo, it's not in the RB to recover from. A slip of a finger can cost dearly when it's least wanted. Personally, I never want to overwrite when doing inline rename, just when copying/moving.

P.S. There may be a refresh issue that causes 2 files with the same name to co-exist as per image below...
overwrite_glitch.PNG
overwrite_glitch.PNG (67.31 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

jayfischer

Post by jayfischer »

I just wanted to says thanks for the inline rename overwrite. I do lots of file management and this will cut out a few steps. I have already used it countless times.

For those of us who use it - I hope you consider an option to turn off confirmation.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jayfischer wrote:I just wanted to says thanks for the inline rename overwrite. I do lots of file management and this will cut out a few steps. I have already used it countless times.

For those of us who use it - I hope you consider an option to turn off confirmation.
Aha, so here we have the second user who admits he uses overwrite. Interesting, me myself I'm not sure if I will ever need this.

However, I think zer0 is right about the risk and the confirmation should stay. I might add a tweak to turn it off...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Next version has this tweak:
RenameOverwriteNoConfirm=1

jayfischer

Post by jayfischer »

If I knew how helpful this would have been (inline rename overwrite) - I would have begged for it a long time ago. :) I always had to delete the file first (after initially getting a dialog telling me there is a collision) - now poof one step - bye bye old file.

Thanks for the tweak. One less step.