Unzipping .zip files

Features wanted...
pjbw

Unzipping .zip files

Post by pjbw »

I am trying out version 9.70.0000 in W7 Professional. When I 2-click on a .zip file in XYplorer it loads my PowerDesk 8 with that file highlighted. It seems as if I am stuck with PD if I need to work with zip files (PD's Archive menu option).

admin
Site Admin

Re: Unzipping .zip files

Post by admin »

Welcome!

Browsing ZIPs is currently not supported but planned.

Don

avsfan

Post by avsfan »

pjbw wrote:I am trying out version 9.70.0000 in W7 Professional. When I 2-click on a .zip file in XYplorer it loads my PowerDesk 8 with that file highlighted. It seems as if I am stuck with PD if I need to work with zip files (PD's Archive menu option).
I've been able to use XY with a variety of archivers -- you just need to install the archiver you want (32-bit if you want the context menus to be available in XY), and then set your association for .zip files to open your archiver of choice.

You can also set up the Portable File Associations (Tools->ListManagement->Portable File Associations...") to open .zip files with your archiver of choice (without changing the default file associations).

I hope this helps!

andy

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

...can't say for sure regarding v8, but my old v4 has under Options > Preferences > Zip/Unzip a setting to Show compressed files as folders. You may want to un-check Open compressed files from the File List.
Perhaps your version has a way to unset Associate Archive Files (mine doesn't).
-if that behavior bothers you, of course - I find it irritating, in fact. Native support on XY will certainly be a plus.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

iycgtptyarvg

Post by iycgtptyarvg »

So, Zip folders is on the to-do list? That is great!
I hope you use 7-Zip for this so that we can not only open zip files, but also 7z files (and tar, rar, etc...).

I hope this feature comes soon, as I'm currently in need of it, which is why I have been falling back on Windows Explorer (yuck!) lately.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Add "zip." to this XYplorer.ini key to allow prevew of Zip files.

Code: Select all

OfficePreviewCustomExtensions=.
You can't DnD files out of it, but can open them by double-clicking.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

iycgtptyarvg

Post by iycgtptyarvg »

I set this in the ini file:

OfficePreviewCustomExtensions=zip.
But, it doesn't work. The tree doesn't show a zip file as a folder, and double-clicking a zip file simply opens it with 7-zip.
What am I doing wrong?

PS
I want to keep double-click for 7-zip, but I would just like to see the contents as a folder (like Windows Explorer).
(\__/)

zer0

Post by zer0 »

iycgtptyarvg wrote:I set this in the ini file:

OfficePreviewCustomExtensions=zip.
But, it doesn't work. The tree doesn't show a zip file as a folder, and double-clicking a zip file simply opens it with 7-zip.
What am I doing wrong?

PS
I want to keep double-click for 7-zip, but I would just like to see the contents as a folder (like Windows Explorer).
You won't get that functionality [yet] with XYplorer. All that INI key does is it enables you to see contents of a Zip file within the Preview tab of Info Panel. And I do believe you need to have a dot before the "zip" part as well as after it.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

zer0 wrote:Add "zip." to this XYplorer.ini key to allow prevew of Zip files.

OfficePreviewCustomExtensions=.
You can't DnD files out of it, but can open them by double-clicking.
XY has a friendlier way to add extensions, for previewing archives add 7z or zip and other to "Web & Office files" category in configuration>Previewed formats.
Also, it is possible to DnD files out of an archive (i.e. from XY's info panel to list) and to DnD files into an archive (from explorer, desktop etc).

iycgtptyarvg

Post by iycgtptyarvg »

serendipity wrote:XY has a friendlier way to add extensions, for previewing archives add 7z or zip and other to "Web & Office files" category in configuration>Previewed formats.
Also, it is possible to DnD files out of an archive (i.e. from XY's info panel to list) and to DnD files into an archive (from explorer, desktop etc).
I tried this, but it doesn't work. When I now go to the 'preview' tab and click on a 7z or zip file, it simply starts 7-zip (as if I had double-clicked the file). It does not show the contents for me in either the preview pane or the file pane.

Am I misunderstanding this feature, or am I still doing something wrong?
(\__/)

zer0

Post by zer0 »

serendipity wrote:Also, it is possible to DnD files out of an archive (i.e. from XY's info panel to list) and to DnD files into an archive (from explorer, desktop etc).
With Zip files, I can DnD into them, but not out of them :?
iycgtptyarvg wrote:
serendipity wrote:XY has a friendlier way to add extensions, for previewing archives add 7z or zip and other to "Web & Office files" category in configuration>Previewed formats.
I tried this, but it doesn't work. When I now go to the 'preview' tab and click on a 7z or zip file, it simply starts 7-zip (as if I had double-clicked the file). It does not show the contents for me in either the preview pane or the file pane.

It doesn't work for 7z files, but does work for Zip files. It's not supposed to display contents in the file pane.
Windows 7/10

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

zer0 wrote:With Zip files, I can DnD into them, but not out of them :?
Don't know why, it works fine both way for me.
zer0 wrote:It doesn't work for 7z files, but does work for Zip files. It's not supposed to display contents in the file pane.
Yeah, only Zip files work with preview. Whatever works in Windows explorer should work in XY preview.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

iycgtptyarvg wrote:

OK, try this:
Select your zip file and run this from address bar:

::html(<curitem>);
Do you see archive contents or does it start 7-zip?

Kucera

Post by Kucera »

OK, try this:

Oy! Sorry to barge in, but I not only do not get anything to either start or show itself in Preview, I also get the infamous "do you want to open or save this file" message with my zip file.

On a related subject - I tried to add .epub files to my PFA via Customize file associations for opening with 7zip or RAR, but the right-click on an .epub file does not show either. Did I miss a step, or is it a bug?
Latest beta on XP SP3
Regards Emil

iycgtptyarvg

Post by iycgtptyarvg »

serendipity wrote:OK, try this:

I get a messagebox (see picture) and 7-zip starts:
(\__/)