Swap functions between F10 and F11 hotkeys?

Features wanted...
ghost zero

Swap functions between F10 and F11 hotkeys?

Post by ghost zero »

I've been thinking about this for awhile. Do you think it would make more sense to swap the functions between the F10 and F11 hotkeys? Currently...

F10 - dual pane
F11 - full screen preview

Wouldn't it be more intuitive and easier to remember if it was the other way around?

F10 - full screen preview
F11 - dual pane

Because 11 has parallel lines and looks more like "dual panes". And 10 can be associated with "big" which invokes the thought of "full screen preview". Don't you think this would make more sense as the default hotkeys for them?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Swap functions between F10 and F11 hotkeys?

Post by j_c_hallgren »

ghost zero wrote: Don't you think this would make more sense as the default hotkeys for them?
Not at all! F11 is used as full screen key by browsers so XY is just being consistent as possible with those. And I believe that since DP was the 'new kid on block' and not used by everyone, it needed to have another key.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Demset

Post by Demset »

Besides, if you'd rather have them swapped, just do it yourself via customizing the KB shortcuts.

ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

but how many programs have hotkeys for both full screen and split screen view functions? i know i can change it myself but thought i should point it out anyways--since swapping it would be more intuitive for xyplorer, if it weren't for trying to be like other programs.

Mesh

Post by Mesh »

ghost zero wrote:but how many programs have hotkeys for both full screen and split screen view functions? i know i can change it myself but thought i should point it out anyways--since swapping it would be more intuitive for xyplorer, if it weren't for trying to be like other programs.

Maintaining parity with functions used by many other applications makes a lot more sense than your justification of doing it based on the geometrical analysis of the number "11".

If you like it the other way, you can change it yourself. But otherwise, I think the current reasoning provides ample justification to leave it as is.

If you want to talk about default KB assignments, I think it's a far better argument to consider why F5 doesn't default to refreshing both tree and list panes. :)

ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

if everything just followed microsoft's convention for hotkeys, then we'll be using CTRL+Y for redo in ALL our programs. and boy do i hate that hotkey--not its not efficient to do. so SHIFT+CTRL+Z for redo all the way! :D

Mesh

Post by Mesh »

ghost zero wrote:if everything just followed microsoft's convention for hotkeys, then we'll be using CTRL+Y for redo in ALL our programs. and boy do i hate that hotkey--not its not efficient to do. so SHIFT+CTRL+Z for redo all the way! :D

I never said we need to always mirror other apps, only that if there isn't a better reason for a different key set, there's value in matching the common useage. For example, without a good reason to do so, you wouldn't want the Refresh function mapped to something other than F5, because 99% of apps that have a Refresh function map it to that key.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mesh wrote:
ghost zero wrote:if everything just followed microsoft's convention for hotkeys, then we'll be using CTRL+Y for redo in ALL our programs. and boy do i hate that hotkey--not its not efficient to do. so SHIFT+CTRL+Z for redo all the way! :D

I never said we need to always mirror other apps, only that if there isn't a better reason for a different key set, there's value in matching the common useage. For example, without a good reason to do so, you wouldn't want the Refresh function mapped to something other than F5, because 99% of apps that have a Refresh function map it to that key.
OK, I think you are right. Anybody here who strongly disagrees that F5 should do what now "Miscellaneous / General Functions / Refresh Tree and List (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+F5)" does?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:OK, I think you are right. Anybody here who strongly disagrees that F5 should do what now "Miscellaneous / General Functions / Refresh Tree and List (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+F5)" does?
I, for one, have never (that I can recall) used that function but do use F5 for the standard refresh of list so not sure if having tree as part of that is ideal or not...when I need to refresh tree, I often do it via menu as it's not often enough to justify me keeping track of KS for it...so guess I'm not strongly disagreeing but not really agreeing either.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
admin wrote:OK, I think you are right. Anybody here who strongly disagrees that F5 should do what now "Miscellaneous / General Functions / Refresh Tree and List (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+F5)" does?
I, for one, have never (that I can recall) used that function but do use F5 for the standard refresh of list so not sure if having tree as part of that is ideal or not...when I need to refresh tree, I often do it via menu as it's not often enough to justify me keeping track of KS for it...so guess I'm not strongly disagreeing but not really agreeing either.
Just another little fact: XY has F5 for "refresh list" for more than 10 years now and nobody complained.

Hm. :|

calude

Post by calude »

F5 refresh tree and list
+1

calude

Mesh

Post by Mesh »

j_c_hallgren wrote:

I regularly run into situations where the tree is changed, and XY does not autorefresh. As a result, I need to manually refresh the Tree specifically. One of the first things I do when I setup a fresh install of XY is change F5 to refresh both the Tree as well as List panes.

While people may not have complained, there is no good reason I can see why F5 *shouldn't* default to refreshing both.

And for that matter, I have to say that I honestly don't understand why XY even splits the functionality in the first place. Under what circumstances would you ever want to refresh one, but not the other?

Pagat

Post by Pagat »

i also changed F5 to refresh both, List and Tree.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Mesh wrote:I regularly run into situations where the tree is changed, and XY does not autorefresh. As a result, I need to manually refresh the Tree specifically. One of the first things I do when I setup a fresh install of XY is change F5 to refresh both the Tree as well as List panes.

While people may not have complained, there is no good reason I can see why F5 *shouldn't* default to refreshing both.
There have been posts by new users who were confused that F5 didn't refresh the tree; it does so in several other file managers including Windows Explorer. Personally, I'd like F5 to refresh both.
And for that matter, I have to say that I honestly don't understand why XY even splits the functionality in the first place. Under what circumstances would you ever want to refresh one, but not the other?
Perhaps performance reasons? Refreshing the tree with external HD's that need to spin up, network drives, etc. can be much slower than just refreshing the list. OTOH, and depending on how long ago this decision was made, things have generally gotten faster, so...

Mesh

Post by Mesh »

nas8e9 wrote:
Mesh wrote:

Perhaps performance reasons? Refreshing the tree with external HD's that need to spin up, network drives, etc. can be much slower than just refreshing the list. OTOH, and depending on how long ago this decision was made, things have generally gotten faster, so...

If Don is looking for ways to cut down on extraneous features, I would say an easy choice would be to strip out the seperate Refresh functions, and just keep the one that refreshes everything.