add minimize to taskbar on X close and Esc key

Features wanted...
sendme

add minimize to taskbar on X close and Esc key

Post by sendme »

Hi

Can you please add to the startup and exit settings an option to minimize to windows 7 taskbar (not tasktray) on X close and Esc key.

Its nice to use the Esc key to minimize the program I have open to the taskbar.

I have three other programs that already do this and it works fine. Thunderbird, firefox and a text program.

Thanks

Sendme

admin
Site Admin

Re: add minimize to taskbar on X close and Esc key

Post by admin »

Hi,

ESC is not possible but X close can work. Still interested? Anybody else interested?

Don

sendme

Post by sendme »

Hi

The X button still has to be clicked on by the mouse. I would like to minimize the program using only a keyboard key.

The idea is, when you have a large screen it’s a long way for the mouse to travel to get to the minimize or X button.

Also, when I am using the laptop its easier than trying to use the touch pad.

I use AutoCAD Architecture and your program a lot throughout the day and flip between them often when working with files, emails and drawings.

The Esc key is used to cancel commands in AutoCAD and so most of the time my left hand is positioned over this key.

In the programming that I have done there are ways to monitor the Esc key and then execute the minimize command, can you not do this?

For you information, I have a XYplorer lifetime license pro.

Thanks

Sendme

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

sendme wrote:The Esc key is used to cancel commands in AutoCAD and so most of the time my left hand is positioned over this key.
Same here in XY for a number of places...
In the programming that I have done there are ways to monitor the Esc key and then execute the minimize command, can you not do this?
Problem is (as I see it while not being Don) that how do you then tell use of the Esc to stop a function, like a search, from its use as a minimize? Ok, so you could define some other key as the "Stop" key via CKS (Misc>Gen Functions) but if the new feature is added, you should be able to also define a unique CKS (under Window State) for that as well and if you wanted to swap the Esc key to that, then you'd need to find a CKS for the normal Esc function as well.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here comes the good news. Minimize (etc) by key can be done by assigning a keyboard shortcut to a Miscellaneous command:
Miscellaneous / Window State / Minimize Window

ESC is not allowed however.

Jibz

Post by Jibz »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Problem is (as I see it while not being Don) that how do you then tell use of the Esc to stop a function, like a search, from its use as a minimize? Ok, so you could define some other key as the "Stop" key via CKS (Misc>Gen Functions) but if the new feature is added, you should be able to also define a unique CKS (under Window State) for that as well and if you wanted to swap the Esc key to that, then you'd need to find a CKS for the normal Esc function as well.
By letting the Esc key mean abort everywhere except if the user is looking at the base window and no action is going on. It works fine in for instance FARR, where you press the hotkey to bring it up, if you type something then Esc means cancel what you typed, and if you're looking at an empty window then Esc minimizes the window again.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Jibz wrote:By letting the Esc key mean abort everywhere except if the user is looking at the base window and no action is going on. It works fine in for instance FARR, where you press the hotkey to bring it up, if you type something then Esc means cancel what you typed, and if you're looking at an empty window then Esc minimizes the window again.
But a problem here: if you want to ESC a current active action, and it just ends while you press ESC, it will ESC XY instead. I wouldn't like that...

Jibz

Post by Jibz »

PeterH wrote:But a problem here: if you want to ESC a current active action, and it just ends while you press ESC, it will ESC XY instead. I wouldn't like that...
That is a fair point. With FARR there are no tasks that take time as such that could get you into this situation.

sendme

Post by sendme »

Yes, but if it’s only a setting that you turn on if you want it.

Otherwise cancel would be the default setting when the program is installed or upgraded.

Norn

Post by Norn »

+1
I have set XY as the default file manager,WIN+E to open a new tab and redirect explorer windows to XY,also I set the shortcut key to minimize the window,but I often habitually click on X.
Minimize to tray can't respond directly to calls from scripts.
Attachments
Minimize to taskbar on X close.PNG
Minimize to taskbar on X close.PNG (56.18 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Win10, Win11 @100% 2560x1440 22H2