Append Function to Select Items, Selection Filter.

Features wanted...
SkyFrontier

Append Function to Select Items, Selection Filter.

Post by SkyFrontier »

-it'll be very useful to have a way to apply new criteria and append other stuff to what currently is selected via CTRL+M, context menu > Select > Select Items. (Sticky Selection should NOT be part of the solution, since it works with a severe deal breaker for me as it currently is).
What about...?
Thanks!
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Re: Append Function to Select Items, Selection Filter.

Post by admin »

That was planned anyway, and was already coded under the hood. :mrgreen:

It will work like this:

1) hold SHIFT while clicking OK in Ctrl+M dialog = Add matches to current selections
2) hold CTRL while clicking OK in Ctrl+M dialog = Remove matches from current selections

This was my intuitive decision. Does everybody agree with SHIFT=ADD and CTRL=REMOVE?

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Admin:

Code: Select all

This was my intuitive decision. Does everybody agree with SHIFT=ADD and CTRL=REMOVE?
No prob for me.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:That was planned anyway, and was already coded under the hood. :mrgreen:

It will work like this:

1) hold SHIFT while clicking OK in Ctrl+M dialog = Add matches to current selections
2) hold CTRL while clicking OK in Ctrl+M dialog = Remove matches from current selections

It doesn't seem to jibe with the modifiers for drag-and-drop: Ctrl+left mouse button copies, which seems like adding to me; Shift+left mouse button moves, removing the file from the original folder.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:
admin wrote:That was planned anyway, and was already coded under the hood. :mrgreen:

It will work like this:

It doesn't seem to jibe with the modifiers for drag-and-drop: Ctrl+left mouse button copies, which seems like adding to me; Shift+left mouse button moves, removing the file from the original folder.
Yes, I'm aware of this. But still I find it more intuitive as I did it. Probably because with manual multiple selection SHIFT is used to add more selections, and CTRL can be used to unselect a selected item. You see?

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:Yes, I'm aware of this. But still I find it more intuitive as I did it. Probably because with manual multiple selection SHIFT is used to add more selections, and CTRL can be used to unselect a selected item. You see?
Different contexts; got it.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

(Too) Late to the party, but anyways...
admin wrote:Yes, I'm aware of this. But still I find it more intuitive as I did it. Probably because with manual multiple selection SHIFT is used to add more selections, and CTRL can be used to unselect a selected item. You see?
Not sure I agree with that (that it's more intuitive this way) (besides, you can use both CTRL and SHIFT to add, and both at once to add or remove items in a selection... :P), especially since, when trying to think, I think of the icon used in drag&drop operation : CTRL == + (I think add); SHIFT == - (I think remove)
That was/is my way of thinking, so much so that reading the log about this feature, I wondered why it had been done in reverse... :roll:

Anyways, is there I reason this only works while clicking OK? I mean, why not allow a CTRL+M, <type filter>, CTRL+OK to add (I mean remove, damnit! :P ;)) and no need to go grab the mouse :)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:(Too) Late to the party, but anyways...
Not sure I agree with that (that it's more intuitive this way) (besides, you can use both CTRL and SHIFT to add, and both at once to add or remove items in a selection... :P), especially since, when trying to think, I think of the icon used in drag&drop operation : CTRL == + (I think add); SHIFT == - (I think remove)
That was/is my way of thinking, so much so that reading the log about this feature, I wondered why it had been done in reverse... :roll:

Anyways, is there I reason this only works while clicking OK? I mean, why not allow a CTRL+M, <type filter>, CTRL+OK to add (I mean remove, damnit! :P ;)) and no need to go grab the mouse :)
I'm absolutely open to changing CTRL and SHIFT, and given that jacky is always right, I should probably do it. :wink:

You mean CTRL/SHIFT+ENTER, yeah, I'll check that...

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:You mean CTRL/SHIFT+ENTER, yeah, I'll check that...
Yes, +ENTER of course!

Also, I just assigned a KS to this thing (it should have one by default btw. Not sure which one, I used Ctrl+Alt+M but it's not free, however Ctrl+Shift+M is if I'm not mistaken), and upon trigger XY tells me "Function #256 not found!" I'm not sure what to say..?
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:
admin wrote:You mean CTRL/SHIFT+ENTER, yeah, I'll check that...
Yes, +ENTER of course!

Also, I just assigned a KS to this thing (it should have one by default btw. Not sure which one, I used Ctrl+Alt+M but it's not free, however Ctrl+Shift+M is if I'm not mistaken), and upon trigger XY tells me "Function #256 not found!" I'm not sure what to say..?
Can't you just stay were you've been? :mrgreen: Now it comes again, the avalanche of bug reports and good ideas.... :roll: :wink:

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Erm.. I'm too late, but why didn't you just make this an option in the dialog?
[] Keep Current Selection

EDIT: (I was all confused on what was going on here, :oops: )