Swap Panes

Features wanted...
aurumdigitus

Swap Panes

Post by aurumdigitus »

A week later am still in the process of rebuilding and adjusting XY after its recent crash upon upgrade. Under User|Run Script reinstalled an xys (kindly constructed by a Forum member) to Swap Panes and it works like a charm.

However, after reexamining everything about the software with fresh eyes, now feel that the command really ought to be an integral part of the Panes Menu.

SkyFrontier

Re: Swap Panes

Post by SkyFrontier »

I second you, aurumdigitus, as this is an old wish and script-based solutions are prone to fail, as XY evolves.
For an unknown reason,

Code: Select all

$this = <get path>; $that = <get path i>; goto $that; focus pi; goto $this; focus pi;
is broken in 9.4x versions, and I miss this feature much.
---
Also saw this thread requesting the feature, but I believe the code itself belong to yet another thread, which I can't currently locate.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

aurumdigitus

Post by aurumdigitus »

SkyFrontier wrote:Also saw this thread requesting the feature, but I believe the code itself belong to yet another thread, which I can't currently locate.
Nota bene: This is not my code and beseech the true author to forgive me for failing to remember his name for proper attribution!

"Swap Pane Locations"
  $pA = "<curpath>";
  Focus("PI");
  $pI = "<curpath>";
  Goto("$pA");
  Focus("PI");

aurumdigitus

Mea culpa

Post by aurumdigitus »

Oops - part of the xys got truncated. It should read:

"Swap Pane Locations"
  $pA = "<curpath>";
  Focus("PI");
  $pI = "<curpath>";
  Goto("$pA");
  Focus("PI");
  Goto("$pI");

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Thanks much. Since I *always* have something to backup/update and dealing with several "unknown"/"unfamiliar" folders/folder structures a day, I need to have as much visual hints of what's going on as possible, thus making the work flow... Hotkey'ing it to PDesk's familiar SHIFT+W and standard'ing that PANEL 1 is source and PANEL 2 destination puts me in full control of the whole operation, always - even after returning from a coffee break... :wink:
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

Rhywun

Post by Rhywun »

I agree this should be a standard function. If you're going to offer the possibility of setting up a dual-pane browser, you should offer the standard functions that users of such a browser expect.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Rhywun wrote:I agree this should be a standard function. If you're going to offer the possibility of setting up a dual-pane browser, you should offer the standard functions that users of such a browser expect.
While I doubt that I'd use it much since I almost always have both panes set up identically, I did check x2 and they have it as a built-in under the "Go To" menu as Cntl+U so yes, it would seem to be a valid function to add to Panes menu.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Are you talking about a combination of "Go to Other Location" and "Go Here in Other Pane"?

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Yes.
Completely swap P1 and P2 positions.

The way XYplorer does. :mrgreen:

v9.40.0113 - 2010-09-05 13:54
    + Menu Panes: Added command "Swap Panes". Swaps the locations of
      both panes.
      Tip: Hold SHIFT to open the locations in a new foreground tab on
      each pane.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:Yes.
Completely swap P1 and P2 positions.

The way XYplorer does. :mrgreen:

v9.40.0113 - 2010-09-05 13:54
    + Menu Panes: Added command "Swap Panes". Swaps the locations of
      both panes.
      Tip: Hold SHIFT to open the locations in a new foreground tab on
      each pane.
Could not wait. 8)

Mr_Inc

Post by Mr_Inc »

I have two panes with multiple tabs on each; when I select "swap panes" it just swaps two tabs, not the panes. Is there a setting somewhere which controls this behaviour? I'd like the full panes to swap with all the tabs in them. Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mr_Inc wrote:I have two panes with multiple tabs on each; when I select "swap panes" it just swaps two tabs, not the panes. Is there a setting somewhere which controls this behaviour? I'd like the full panes to swap with all the tabs in them. Thanks.
Yep, it appears a misnomer but similar apps also call it "swap panes" so I adapted to the standard.

What you want is not available.