Context menu of Find Files results does not show Windows ite

Features wanted...
nas8e9

Re: Context menu of Find Files results does not show Windows ite

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:I won't document this anywhere else, so take a note now. This is your key in the next beta version:
AllowMultiLocShellMenu
Preliminary results:

WinRAR extension:
Works in DO and xp2 in the sense that all selected files from different folders end up in the archive but without path information. Still, not bad. XYplorer on the other hand, only gets the first file processed by WinRAR; the following files (in a different folder from the first file) produce the error message "The system cannot find the file specified."

Windows menu item: Properties:
Not available in DO; works correctly in xy2; works partly in XY: correct number of files but zero folders (should be 3) plus only the size of the directly right-clicked file is shown.

Windows menu item: Cut/Copy/Paste:
Handled by internal routines rather than Windows by all three.

Send To > EmEditor:
XY only correctly sends the first file's path, unlike DO and xy2.

Based on the above, it *should* be possible to feed both Windows's Properties tab as well as shell extensions the correct paths. By way of a caveat, I've only tested 64-bit apps on Windows 7 x64. I'll try to repeat these tests on XP x86 later tonight.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

nas8e9 wrote:By way of a caveat, I've only tested 64-bit apps on Windows 7 x64. I'll try to repeat these tests on XP x86 later tonight.
I'm getting the same results on the 32-bit version of Windows XP.

For me, being able to select files from more than one folder in one go, would be useful for the following:
- shell extensions;
- Windows properties tab (count, size, attributes);
- Send To.

The ability to have a virtual flat view through Search is great; being able to act on that virtual list with shell extensions etc., would be even greater. I'm not sure whether this would be of use to others though, while disregarding for the moment that extensive research did not produce a solution. Based on what DO and xp2 manage however, one needn't reside in a cubicle in Redmond to get this working, it seems. :)

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

I hadn't followed this thread, but I had previously bookmarked this blog post from the xp2 developer about how they went about addressing this issue: http://www.zabkat.com/blog/08Jul07.htm

I bet you ran across this in your searches Don, but if not, it might be useful.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

TheQwerty wrote:I hadn't followed this thread, but I had previously bookmarked this blog post from the xp2 developer about how they went about addressing this issue: http://www.zabkat.com/blog/08Jul07.htm

xplorer2 was one of the two others I tested who got it right the most; promising!

Thank you for the link!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, I know it. I did not like the part "Open registry keys for the file types in the selection." -- I simply could not believe that this is the way. I'm still hoping that an easier (aka the "right") solution turns up anywhere. But it's good to know that there is a way, and very cool of Nikos that he publishes this!

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:Yep, I know it. I did not like the part "Open registry keys for the file types in the selection." -- I simply could not believe that this is the way. I'm still hoping that an easier (aka the "right") solution turns up anywhere. But it's good to know that there is a way, and very cool of Nikos that he publishes this!
Just to set my expectations, you won't use this (inelegant) solution at some time?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:
admin wrote:Yep, I know it. I did not like the part "Open registry keys for the file types in the selection." -- I simply could not believe that this is the way. I'm still hoping that an easier (aka the "right") solution turns up anywhere. But it's good to know that there is a way, and very cool of Nikos that he publishes this!
Just to set my expectations, you won't use this (inelegant) solution at some time?
:) Who knows...

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

TheQwerty wrote:I hadn't followed this thread, but I had previously bookmarked this blog post from the xp2 developer about how they went about addressing this issue: http://www.zabkat.com/blog/08Jul07.htm

Purely for reference (and in the understanding that between Cascading Catalog, XYcopy 2.0 and the rest of the roadmap, this isn't going to be relevant for quite a while), but the comment thread for this blog post, seems to contain useful additional information.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:

Purely for reference (and in the understanding that between Cascading Catalog, XYcopy 2.0 and the rest of the roadmap, this isn't going to be relevant for quite a while), but the comment thread for this blog post, seems to contain useful additional information.
Thanks. This is what I'd call a hack. :wink: