Portable installers are "tarbombs"

Features wanted...
CrouZ

Portable installers are "tarbombs"

Post by CrouZ »

Please put the portable installers so that they end up in a separate folder when you unzip/unrar them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarbomb#Tarbomb

admin
Site Admin

Re: Portable installers are "tarbombs"

Post by admin »

I personally dislike installers that force a subfolder on me. But I'm open for discussion...

Pagat

Post by Pagat »

i'm with Don here. I also hate zip files that extract the (actual) content into a subfolder.

Muroph

Post by Muroph »

Pagat wrote:i'm with Don here. I also hate zip files that extract the (actual) content into a subfolder.
+1

you can very easily extract a "tarbomb" to a subfolder by using the command "extract to <foldername>" in the context menu.
its right below "extract here", less than 20px of mouse movement. :roll:
My shared scripts:
TeraCopy Integration, Tag Manager, Comments Menu, Text Replacer, Image and Media Tools, Checksum Calculator, Video Calculator
only 5 URLs are allowed on the sig...

zer0

Post by zer0 »

I would like for the portable version to extract into a separate folder, but if that's not something that's included one can use aforementioned context menu and scripting.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

vegard

Post by vegard »

My cousin likes the scratching, hissing, and popping sounds that old cassettes and records make.

She claims it makes the sound "warmer", I claim she is retarded.

Please don't tarbomb.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Maybe here is a difference in expectations between tar-users and users of other compression tools?

I - as a zip-user :D - always extract archives to where I expect the contents to be. And would not like it to create an own subdirectory.
While the refered wiki explains just other expectations for tar...

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

PeterH wrote:I - as a zip-user :D - always extract archives to where I expect the contents to be. And would not like it to create an own subdirectory.
Exactly how I feel on this. They both have their own pros and cons.

Changing it now will also break a few of my scripts and jacky's updater, which I don't look forward to be that the case. :|

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

TheQwerty wrote:
PeterH wrote:I - as a zip-user :D - always extract archives to where I expect the contents to be. And would not like it to create an own subdirectory.
Exactly how I feel on this. They both have their own pros and cons.
Same for me...I hate it when a zip decides it wants to create a folder by itself...so I definitely prefer the way it is now...howver, maybe the RAR version could be setup differently as we mostly all use the ZIP one?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Pretty much everyone (myself included) seems to say that what they like or don't like, but not why that is. Personally, I feel that it is good for testing if each beta is in a separate folder as it allows simultaneous testing of several versions without configuration files overwriting each other. In addition, for DnD usability, a one-folder approach is better. That said, I respect people's preferences in this area -- we're all different

And -- while we're at it -- I would like if we can download the installers directly instead of having to extract them from Zip archives. I understand that some people may have issues with downloading EXEs (workplace restrictions, etc), in which case Zip option should be offered in parallel. "More work for Don" could be a deterrent, but if it is, why is the non-beta portable package also available as a RAR?
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@all:

Please stop wasting your time on this topic. I won't change the packages anytime soon.

Thanks.

Don

CrouZ

Post by CrouZ »

I believe that practically all linux users agree that tarbombing is a bad idea.
Since I also use linux a lot I usually just assume that it isn't.

There is a large inconsistency among zip archives in Windows meaning that you have to open an archive to check if it is a tarbomb, in my opinion you shouldn't have to do this.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

CrouZ wrote:There is a large inconsistency among zip archives in Windows meaning that you have to open an archive to check if it is a tarbomb, in my opinion you shouldn't have to do this.
Agreed, that's a problem. But I don't see a solution for this from here. And the better strategy IMO is not to include any subfolders and leave it to the user whether to extract to "here" or to a subfolder (via context menu). The other way would be a "sub-bomb".

vegard

Post by vegard »

admin wrote:The other way would be a "sub-bomb".
"Sub-bomb"? :?

You mean in case anybody else has written a program called xyplorer_full?

ramza__x

Post by ramza__x »

Sadly, learn the basic before you complain... get familiar with archive tools!
001375.png
001375.png (14.83 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
Windows XP Pro (SP3) (x86)
1680x1050 Res /120 DPI, Acer Laptop