Additional prompt when moving/renaming/deleting read-only

Features wanted...
Jerry

Additional prompt when moving/renaming/deleting read-only

Post by Jerry »

Hello all,
I am trying out this great program after having switched to Windows 7 (from XP) and getting very annoyed with issues in the new Explorer. Chief among them is the loss of a key behavior that was in Windows XP: The additional confirmation popup when moving/deleting/renaming a read-only file directly or indirectly when performing the actions on directories that contain them. I have over 3 terabytes of permanent files, all marked as read-only, and have an unfortunate tendency to accidentally delete or move stuff to the wrong place. The additional confirmation (separate from the Recycle Bin one) when deleting or moving/renaming is therefore critical for me.

Unfortunately, I don't see this capability in XYplorer 9.00.0200. Is it possible to do this now or is it something that would have to be added? And if needs to be added, can developers comment on whether this is something that they will add as a configurable option and in the very near term?

Jerry

admin
Site Admin

Re: Additional prompt when moving/renaming/deleting read-only

Post by admin »

Hi and welcome,

things like this (= total prompt control) will be part of the upcoming kernel based copy engine in XY, aka XYcopy 2.0. I won't give a date but it is one of the next things I'll do.

Don

Jerry

Re: Additional prompt when moving/renaming/deleting read-only

Post by Jerry »

Sounds excellent Don and thanks for the quick reply. I'll be looking forward it. In the meantime, there are other good reasons to switch over now from regular Explorer.

Jerry
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

Jerry

Re: Additional prompt when moving/renaming/deleting read-onl

Post by Jerry »

Whatever happened with this feature? I thought I once saw this prompt appear when using a recent beta.
Is it now possible to enable this additional prompt?

Jerry
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You mean this?

Configuration | Menus, Mouse, Safety | Safety Belts | Confirm copy and move operations

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

admin wrote:You mean this?
Configuration | Menus, Mouse, Safety | Safety Belts | Confirm copy and move operations
No, I am referring to a separate and additional warning when read-only files are acted on (independent of whether you have regular copy/move confirmations enabled). This feature was in Windows XP Explorer but not carried over to Windows 7. It was one of the reasons I switched to XYplorer the first place.

Jerry

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, okay. I make a note. Sounds useful.

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

And irritating at times as well. If you do so please make it optional

Borut

Post by Borut »

... Depending on what would one like to do with a RO object. So, maybe a binary tweak at the same time, so that one can define for what operation (move/rename/delete) on a RO object the fast belt should be active. :wink:
Win 10 Pro 64bit

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

nerdweed wrote:And irritating at times as well. If you do so please make it optional
I agree. And I would stress that the optional setting should be distinct from the general setting of copy/move confirmations. I never have the latter enabled, but there are many times I want to be alerted when I am acting on a read-only file by mistake.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jerry wrote:
nerdweed wrote:And irritating at times as well. If you do so please make it optional
I agree. And I would stress that the optional setting should be distinct from the general setting of copy/move confirmations. I never have the latter enabled, but there are many times I want to be alerted when I am acting on a read-only file by mistake.
Also RO files in subfolders you are acting on? (This would make it real slow.)

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

admin wrote:
Jerry wrote:
That was the behavior I recall from XP. And it's usually accidental drags on folders with RO files that are a typical problem I want to be alerted about.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Jerry wrote:
admin wrote:Also RO files in subfolders you are acting on? (This would make it real slow.)
That was the behavior I recall from XP. And it's usually accidental drags on folders with RO files that are a typical problem I want to be alerted about.
Do I understand this right? Do you mean that files that are not RO in a folder that is RO should be handled as if they were?
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

Marco

Post by Marco »

PeterH wrote:Do I understand this right? Do you mean that files that are not RO in a folder that is RO should be handled as if they were?
That would be quite weird.But, if I remember correctly, the behaviour in XP was the opposite, i.e. RO files in non-RO folders.
Anyway, I think that NTFS provides a great tool in this case, the ACLs. You can set a folder all its (sub)contents to be only viewable/readable, and if you try to move/rename/delete then a UAC prompt pops up. XY supports UAC, in such scenario. By the way, that's the solution I apply to my backup drives: I run everything under a non-elevated account, except my backup software that runs elevated. And the backup drive is fully accessible only by admins, and readable only to everyone else.

0.02€
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jerry wrote:
admin wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Just tested it with XP: What I see is not nice: You move a folder with RO and non-RO files. Once an RO file is met XP prompts whether to move it (at this point other files are already moved and folders created in the target). When you say "no" your files are distributed all over the place, some still here, some already there. And all this only happens on cross-volume moves.