I wish for ... A Launch Bar

Features wanted...
rlh

I wish for ... A Launch Bar

Post by rlh »

I'm new here, a long, long time user of Powerdesk. But it's broken in Windows 7 x64 and I don't think it's going to get fixed anytime soon, so I'm looking for a replacement.

*Please* can XYplorer have a Launch Bar, just like in PowerDesk. Icons only, and you have 30 or 40 apps, drop-targets, folders, configuration-setups etc all consuming just one toolbar height. It's only a slight variation on the presentation, shouldn't take much work at all (grin!).

However, before writing this post I did a search on 'launch', and in a thread related to the problems of lots of 'Launch' items consuming all of the left pane, a suggestion was made by 'the_hyrax_lord' to the OP of that thread:
You could manually implement this if you wanted, or something very like it, using the new custom toolbar buttons. I created a couple of small dropdown menus for groups of programs (eg, I have one for all my security/cleanup programs).
Custom toolbar buttons ?? with drop-down-menus ??. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of info in the wiki and don't recall seeing anything like that. Can someone point me in the right direction please? That might help *until the real Launch Bar comes along*. :wink:

Roger

Stefan

Re: I wish for ... A Launch Bar

Post by Stefan »

Hi Roger, welcome.

Please see if this links will help you, then come back here and tell us :D

http://www.xyplorer.com/release_8.40.htm
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 908#p40908
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4420

drop-down-menus are scripts
and the menu items are "labels" inside this script: see XYplorer help "Advanced Topics > Scripting >XYplorer Script Files"

rlh

Post by rlh »

Hi Stefan, thanks for the quick response. Those links look impressive, I hadn't realized that XY had that much power (my scans of the alternative 'explorers' has been pretty superficial, just enough to discover that I wasn't going to get what I wanted straight out of the box). I'll have to go away and look at this closely.

The trial version that I downloaded is version 8.80.0300. Are you saying that I will be able to try out my own buttons/scripts etc? The reason I ask is that I started a similar thread in the Xplore2 forum and several suggestions were put forward over the course of a few days until someone pointed out that none of them were available to me because I only had the Trial version.

I'm also impressed by the forum contents and regular contributors (such as yourself) who obviously have a considerable knowledge of XY. I think that I will be giving XY a full tryout.

Regards, Roger

ale

Post by ale »

Hello Roger, yes, you can fully evaluate XYplorer capabilities and scripting. I would like to add a thing that may not be so obvious at the beginning. Each command/function in XYplorer has associated a unique numerical identifier (#nnnn). You can produce and read a list of these command IDs from the help menu > Make List of Functions...
These IDs can be used is scripting, I mean, just as an example, that if we have a simple one line script with such a command "#102" it will, as expected from the reference list, copy the selected file/folder name to the clipboard.

rlh

Post by rlh »

Thanks ale. I'll have a play over the next few days, and probably come back with questions in the Q & A forum.

Thanks to all.

Roger