Re: Zip support?

Post by admin »

LOL!

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

admin wrote:LOL!
Hey - keep cool!
*If* you have verified using the last version, please exactly describe your RAM, and your power supply!

(Sorry - I was reading another forum before. And at least with your power supply they will get you :mrgreen: )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PeterH wrote:
admin wrote:LOL!
Hey - keep cool!
*If* you have verified using the last version, please exactly describe your RAM, and your power supply!

(Sorry - I was reading another forum before. And at least with your power supply they will get you :mrgreen: )
:lol: (friendly LOL, just as the one before)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Does anybody here expect support for paths (address bar, favorites etc.) like C:\Test.zip\images\hand.jpg (where Test.zip is a ZIP file, and images a path within the ZIP)? That's not easy.

vegard

Post by vegard »

I don't and I think ZIP is one file.

Making the contents of an archive behave like files in a filesystem seems like a waste of time to me.

Just my two øre.

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

admin wrote:Does anybody here expect support for paths (address bar, favorites etc.) like C:\Test.zip\images\hand.jpg (where Test.zip is a ZIP file, and images a path within the ZIP)? That's not easy.
I don't understood what you mean by "support for paths".

Is this for accessing an file inside an archive for preview/extracting/updating?
Like "C:\Test.zip\images\hand.jpg" to preview this picture?

Then no, not me.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:Does anybody here expect support for paths (address bar, favorites etc.) like C:\Test.zip\images\hand.jpg (where Test.zip is a ZIP file, and images a path within the ZIP)? That's not easy.
I certainly don't as I consider it one file for those aspects...and...once you get basic zip support, you can tell those who were complaining about lack of same to "zip it!" (as in "shush!") :mrgreen:
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Other question: listing ZIP contents is very fast but previewing files inside a ZIP needs to extract them first to some temp folder which can take some seconds. Already showing the correct file icons needs extraction, otherwise only generic icons can be shown for EXEs etc.

How do the other file managers do this? I'm playing with FreeCommander (has ZIP support) but I can't find neither a tree nor an address bar so I'm practically unable to navigate this thing. Any ideas here?

vegard

Post by vegard »

admin wrote:Other question:
I may not be answering this question directly, but personally, I use one level only for archives (EDIT: That I wish to view "inline", not extract).

Mostly for comics (with CDisplayEx), where each chapter of the comic is one file.

I notice that that program takes a bit of time before it can show the first page, possibly due to idiosyncrasies with zip.

I may add that I don't like the way Windows Explorer pretends that it can handle zips as if they were directories.
In my view it just clutters up the directory-tree, and at least in XP it wasn't very complete.
Last edited by vegard on 20 Jul 2010 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

admin wrote:Other question: listing ZIP contents is very fast but previewing files inside a ZIP needs to extract them first to some temp folder which can take some seconds. Already showing the correct file icons needs extraction, otherwise only generic icons can be shown for EXEs etc.

How do the other file managers do this? I'm playing with FreeCommander (has ZIP support) but I can't find neither a tree nor an address bar so I'm practically unable to navigate this thing. Any ideas here?
TC
Pure browsing didn't extract to disc (as far as i can tell, have not investigated much)
Icons are shown (i see e.g. the IView cat)
No tree update to show an new sub-folder.
Address bar shows full path "X:\folder\archivename.ext\sub-folder"
Opening an file for preview extracts to %tmp%\_tc (sometimes to an sub-folder like it's in the archive)

Going into an archive inside an archive extracts to %tmp%\_tc
Address bar shows expanded "%tmp%\_tc\archivename.ext"

If i close the preview or go out of the sub-archive the tmp is cleaned up.

Sometimes i get an dialog if i wish to extract to temp and open
and an dialog to click [OK] once it is save to delete the temp file.

Buh, normally i just use this feature, didn't investigate how it works or what options i had set in the beginning.
If you need/want more info i will take an deeper look.
It seems the behaviour depends on the situation (archive deep / kind of file)

HTH

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

vegard wrote:
admin wrote:Other question:
I may not be answering this question directly, but personally, I use one level only for archives.

Mostly for comics (with CDisplayEx), where each chapter of the comic is one file.

I notice that that program takes a bit of time before it can show the first page, possibly due to idiosyncrasies with zip.

I may add that I don't like the way Windows Explorer pretends that it can handle zips as if they were directories.
In my view it just clutters up the directory-tree, and at least in XP it wasn't very complete.
Yes, I don't like this at all. It won't happen in XY.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Stefan wrote:
admin wrote:Other question: listing ZIP contents is very fast but previewing files inside a ZIP needs to extract them first to some temp folder which can take some seconds. Already showing the correct file icons needs extraction, otherwise only generic icons can be shown for EXEs etc.

TC
Thanks! You say "Icons are shown" - but I assume you don't see specific icons for EXEs, just the generic EXE icon right?

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Go inside 580MB zip takes no time. I see no extraction action. Just show an folder with the content in no time.

Go inside an 250 MB sub-archive copies this archive to tmp,
shows a few seconds an un-pack dialog
shows the archive as folder
and shows "%tmp%\_tc\sub-archivename.ext" in address bar (no hierarchy like archive\sub-archive shown)

The same for an sub-sub-archive.

-
If i go out of the archive the temp is cleaned up.
If i go inside the sub-archive an second time the archive is copied and unpack again.
That's why i had think about an flag to NOT delete the tmp files immediately (maybe an timer?)

-

The dialog "Click OK once it's save to delete tmp files" is shown if i execute an file, even an TXT file.
If i preview an TXT file only i didn't get this dialog.

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

admin wrote: You say "Icons are shown" - but I assume you don't see specific icons for EXEs, just the generic EXE icon right?
As i see now i have enabled only show "associated" (Verknüpfte) icons, not EXE+LNK too.
I enabled now EXE+LNK too and see this icons in real folder, but not inside an archive.

Inside an archive i see right now
envelope for *.eml
IView cat for *.ico and *.jpg
IE-e for *.htm
gear for *.dll
but generic for *.exe

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Just info collection.

An other file manager shows the "ok to clean up"-dialog (for execute actions, not for preview) at the end if i go outside the archive.

---------------------------
Information
Archive "X:\__TEST ZIP XYplorer\TEST .zip" is about to close. If you are still editing some files from this archive,
please save changes and close these files in editors now. Archive update will be offered in case of changes in edited files.
[OK]
[ ] Don't show this message again

If i had edited e.g. an TXT file i get an second dialog which show all edited files
where i can select those i want to update in the archive.