Zip support?

Features wanted...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Zip support?

Post by admin »

Jibz wrote:
admin wrote: :? You open the archive in WinZip (or whatever zipper) and drag the file you want out of it.
Jibz wrote:Also, I use the portable version from an USB stick, and nobody says the computer I am at tomorrow has WinZip installed. Since XY is marketed as the portable manager, it should pack whatever features is needed instead of relying on third party applications to be installed on the machine.
Also, it is a matter of convenience and efficiency. If you have to open a third party application it takes longer and it interrupts your workflow to swap application.

You added image preview to XY even though the user could just open the image in IrfanView (or whatever viewer) and look at it :).
I don't know what you are yoing with ZIPs, but I would say with most users there's still a little difference (in units per day) between watching images and unpacking archives. :)

All file managers from the early ages (= 90s) usually promoted this (and not much more!):
Built-In Zip support.
Built-In FTP support.
Built-In Synchronization.
Built-In Duplicate Finder.
These were the reasons you were supposed to buy a file manager for! Now XY has NONE of these features and still is one of the top five file managers in the world. Is that cool?

Jibz

Post by Jibz »

The point of using an alternative file manager has to be that it is more convenient, intuitive, and allows you to do things more easily/effectively.

Accessing a zip file like a folder within the file manager is a more intuitive way to work with the archive than having to use the context menu.

You advertise XY as being a portable file manager, so relying on a third party application to be installed on the machine doesn't make sense to me.

When I am on a machine somewhere using XY from an USB stick, the task is often to download some packages and install certain files to fix a problem. I can't just install a random piece of software like WinZip on other peoples machines to be able to access one of the worlds most used archive formats.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jibz wrote:The point of using an alternative file manager has to be that it is more convenient, intuitive, and allows you to do things more easily/effectively.

Accessing a zip file like a folder within the file manager is a more intuitive way to work with the archive than having to use the context menu.

You advertise XY as being a portable file manager, so relying on a third party application to be installed on the machine doesn't make sense to me.

When I am on a machine somewhere using XY from an USB stick, the task is often to download some packages and install certain files to fix a problem. I can't just install a random piece of software like WinZip on other peoples machines to be able to access one of the worlds most used archive formats.
True, and I don't say I'm strictly against it. It's just not that important to me compared to other ideas. Unfortunately I can do only one thing at a time (well, ok, I breathe while coding).

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Jibz wrote:When I am on a machine somewhere using XY from an USB stick, the task is often to download some packages and install certain files to fix a problem. I can't just install a random piece of software like WinZip on other peoples machines to be able to access one of the worlds most used archive formats.
ZIP support has been included in Windows since Win 98 (in its Plus! pack) and -- if you do come across a version that does not have it or it's disabled -- you can use portable 7zip that caters for more than just ZIP files. May not be a solution per se for you, but could be good enough for the time being.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

Jibz

Post by Jibz »

admin wrote: Unfortunately I can do only one thing at a time (well, ok, I breathe while coding).
I can certainly relate to that feeling :D.
zer0 wrote:you can use portable 7zip that caters for more than just ZIP files. May not be a solution per se for you, but could be good enough for the time being.
I may have to try and see if one of the portable zip applications will work .. maybe in conjunction with XY's portable file associations it may be possible to concoct something usable. Right now I am using command line unzip which is pretty far from optimal. Or put TC back on the USB drive.

I guess I just wasn't prepared for the lack of support for this, since I have been using DO and TC, which both make archives a natural extension of the file system :).

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

I am not sure if any one mentioned this. If you include the extension *.zip in the Configuration>Previewed Formats>Web & Office Files, you can see the zip contents in the preview panel. This is very useful.

Kucera

Post by Kucera »

serendipity wrote:I am not sure if any one mentioned this. If you include the extension *.zip in the Configuration>Previewed Formats>Web & Office Files, you can see the zip contents in the preview panel. This is very useful.
Yeah, it would be, except it is subject to the infamous "do you want to open or save this file" bug. I'll be downloading the latest beta soon, hope things improve :)
Regards Emil

cpusrvc

Post by cpusrvc »

I'd like to add my vote for ZIP functionality. I probably open a few zip files a day and I have to move to Windows Explorer each time. Unpacking to another temp folder is FAR more time consuming, because then you have to extract them to the temp folder, navigate to the folder, copy the files you want, then drop them to the destination folder, then go back and delete the temp folder with all the "Are you sure you want to delete this?" prompts. That's 6-7 steps.

With Win Explorer, because it show the ZIP file as a folder, I just drag what I want to the destination. That's 2 steps.

avsfan

Post by avsfan »

cpusrvc wrote:With Win Explorer, because it show the ZIP file as a folder, I just drag what I want to the destination. That's 2 steps.
Have you tried adding zip to the extensions list for office previews?

I've got the zip extension in my office preview formats, and then the contents of a zip file show in the preview pane. From there, I can just drag what I want to a different location. If I need to do a lot of files, it's less convenient, and I'll open up the file in 7-zip or IZArc, but for simple stuff, the preview pane works well for me. I can even drill down into directories in the zip file...

(and I never see the "Do you want to download" error with zip files...)

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

Kucera wrote:
serendipity wrote:I am not sure if any one mentioned this. If you include the extension *.zip in the Configuration>Previewed Formats>Web & Office Files, you can see the zip contents in the preview panel. This is very useful.
Yeah, it would be, except it is subject to the infamous "do you want to open or save this file" bug. I'll be downloading the latest beta soon, hope things improve :)
Regards Emil
Well, if you get that infamous bug then you should report. Do you get it or you are merely speculating? Because many of us use this workaround and its known to work. Let us know if it doesn't for you.

Kucera

Post by Kucera »

serendipity wrote:
Kucera wrote:
Yeah, it would be, except it is subject to the infamous "do you want to open or save this file" bug.l
Well, if you get that infamous bug then you should report. Do you get it or you are merely speculating? Because many of us use this workaround and its known to work. Let us know if it doesn't for you.
That's what I thought I was doing. It does not work for me, I am sorry to say. Beta did not help, either, I am back to 9.20.0200.
Regards Emil

cpusrvc

Post by cpusrvc »

avsfan wrote:
cpusrvc wrote:With Win Explorer, because it show the ZIP file as a folder, I just drag what I want to the destination. That's 2 steps.

I've got the zip extension in my office preview formats, and then the contents of a zip file show in the preview pane.
That's TOO EASY! LOL. Nod bad, however it can only drop the file onto the tree. I tried using dual panes, and it won't drop it onto the visible but inactive pane. However, since it can drop on the tree, I would think Don could get it to drop onto the other pane.

DON, WHAT DO YOU THINK? If we can drop a file from a zip onto the tree, why can't we drop it onto the visible inactive pane?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

cpusrvc wrote:
avsfan wrote:

I've got the zip extension in my office preview formats, and then the contents of a zip file show in the preview pane.
That's TOO EASY! LOL. Nod bad, however it can only drop the file onto the tree. I tried using dual panes, and it won't drop it onto the visible but inactive pane. However, since it can drop on the tree, I would think Don could get it to drop onto the other pane.

DON, WHAT DO YOU THINK? If we can drop a file from a zip onto the tree, why can't we drop it onto the visible inactive pane?
Hard to say for me, because I cannot even drop to the tree from such a ZIP preview! :? To nowhere...

calude

Post by calude »

drop works here (XP sp3) & Win7pro 32
to tree, same, and other pane

great tweak BTW
and maybe some of you know:
how can you set that the zip preview shows the files with the "details" view instead of thumbnails?

on my xp laptop it shows thumbs and my win7 box it shows details ??

have a nice W-E

Calude

cpusrvc

Post by cpusrvc »

admin wrote:
cpusrvc wrote:That's TOO EASY! LOL. Nod bad, however it can only drop the file onto the tree. I tried using dual panes, and it won't drop it onto the visible but inactive pane. However, since it can drop on the tree, I would think Don could get it to drop onto the other pane.

Hard to say for me, because I cannot even drop to the tree from such a ZIP preview! :? To nowhere...
Be sure you're using the latest version ... :lol: