The name "TrackerV3"...

Features wanted...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

RalphM wrote:...and the "zacko" = fast might even be influenced by my German mother tongue.
What's the meaning then for people with English mother tongue?
Unfortunately you might be right. I found this quote: "While the word Zacko! is not really a part of the English language -- it's very sound conjures up a notion of the unexpected or strange."

Hmm, not what I want :wink:

But Tracker sounds so 20th century to me... in a boring out-fashioned way. It's not charismatic, it's just a grey liveless word.

JustinF

Post by JustinF »

I didn't know "zacko" meant anything, I just thought it was some word you made up...when you said you liked it best, I thought you were kidding. :oops: To me (an English speaker), I'm not sure zackoflex sounds like a "professional" name. Of course, a lot of times name changes are awkward, then you get used to the new name and everything is fine.

I'm with Ralph...I like "Tracker", but that may be just because I'm used to it.
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

CyGho

Post by CyGho »

admin wrote:I like this one the best. Do you have more from papiamento? Do you speak papiamento??
Nope, not at all :) i looked it up on a dutch dictionairy site: http://www.vertaalwoord.nl/
What's your favorite so far?
Well, i also like kontenido. Has a good "sound".
I thought of another one though. When i saw zackoflex, i thought why not someting with "tracker" in it, so trackflex came to my mind. As far as i can see is it available. I think it will be my favorite :). But i like tabmanager also, because trackerv3 manages the content of all of my discs very well, with tabs :lol:

btw, where is zacko coming from?
Software: should we be aware because it's soft ? I like to think not !

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

CyGho wrote:Well, i also like kontenido. Has a good "sound"
Yes, that's important to me! The meaning of kontenido is not so thrilling :wink:

tabmanager: yes, I'm surprised it is still available. On the other hand, it does not sound extremely sexy...

trackflex: I would prefer trackoflex then, but then zackoflex is better :wink:

zackoflex: I think it's by Harry Rowohlt (German writer/translator), at least that's where I got it from. To me it connotes speed, power, flexibility. A word like Bruce Lee! :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

JustinF wrote:I didn't know "zacko" meant anything, I just thought it was some word you made up...when you said you liked it best, I thought you were kidding.
No, I was kidding with "relickinceptatterrisamests". :)

cycletronic

Post by cycletronic »

I like kontenido
I also like any of the optimus-file-flex variations.

How about TR4X3R? (no, I do not normally speak "leet")
or TR4X0R
or tr4x0r
or tr4x3r

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TR4X3R is not bad but works alright only with capital letters, and needs a spelling advice every time you talk about it. That's not the kind of trouble I need... :wink: thanks anyway!

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Maybe shorten tabmanager to tabman?

I think, the name should have some meaning, should give some info about the thing, that people should give a try! But this might be bad for the choice of a really good sounding name (of 21st century). Should be easy to remember, and easy to use and spell...

But one thing is correct: I don't think TrackerV3 V4 sounds very good...

tabtracker? tabfile, filetabber :roll:

Sorry - I'm not the right one for this kind of game, it seems :oops:

legion1978

Post by legion1978 »

mmm...
i think its more like "flexplorer" (flexible explorer), cause u know, after all everone knows whats an explorer is, and then this one is a "flex"-ible one, so people would look forward to know whats that which makes it flexible, therefore, special
Ukeireru nara shini wa shinai

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

legion1978 wrote:mmm...
i think its more like "flexplorer" (flexible explorer), cause u know, after all everone knows whats an explorer is, and then this one is a "flex"-ible one, so people would look forward to know whats that which makes it flexible, therefore, special
flexplorer... not bad! And even the domain is still free. However, various softwares with this names seem to exist already.

legion1978

Post by legion1978 »

yep, pitiful..
there are at least 3: web site structure grapher, mobile explorer and an emulation-related one.. though i never heard of any of them bfore :wink:
mmm.. how bout "ultraexplorer"? (maybe lateri can come up with a better one :shock: )
Ukeireru nara shini wa shinai

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

legion1978 wrote:how bout "ultraexplorer"? (maybe lateri can come up with a better one :shock: )
ultraexplorer.com is gone... lateri???

I played around a bit. You like any of these?

Anagrams for "explorer"
preloxer
prolexer
rexpoler
reloxpre

Anagrams for "file manager"
a female grin :wink:

Playing with the letters:
rexplo
prexx
rexepo
emplorer
iksplorer
yxplorer
xyplorer
cyplorer

I like yxplorer. Also iksplorer is not bad. Capitalized and contextualized:

The new Yxplorer 4.4 is about to be released!
The new Iksplorer 4.4 is about to be released!

Disadvantage: when you talk about it people think you mean Explorer. :cry:

But here it comes:

The new Xyplorer 4.4 is about to be released!

Well... that's great!!!!! :D :D Google currently has not a single Xyplorer!!

or:
The new Cyplorer 4.4 is about to be released!
Cyberspace... you know, originally from Norbert Wiener's "Cybernetics or control and communication in the animal and the machine" (1948)... to the point! But: the association to cyprus is a bit too strong...

So I'm for Xyplorer! Looks sharp to me:

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

As, I'm sure you are aware, in English, "X" at the beginning of a word is normally pronounced as "Z". Hence I would refer to it verbally as Zyplorer. Not a problem to me since I will still call it TreackerV3!!!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:As, I'm sure you are aware, in English, "X" at the beginning of a word is normally pronounced as "Z". Hence I would refer to it verbally as Zyplorer. Not a problem to me since I will still call it TreackerV3!!!
I like the graphic impact of the XY-combination at the beginning. Pronounce it either Zyplorer [zai-plorer] or X-Y-plorer [eks-wai-plorer], or as in pixy-plorer [ksiplorer], all are fine with me as long as they bear no unwanted semantic connotations.

You can even call it "TreackerV3" if you want.

CyGho

Post by CyGho »

It takes some time to get used to. I like names that reflects the purpose of a program. So in this case something with explorer (or a translation of it) and then added (before or after) something like flex or tab.
xyplorer...mhh, ok it has plorer. With a little fantasy you can say that it will cover your disk totaly on the "x and y" coordinates :) And XY looks good indead. Maybe play something with capitals: XYplorer. Yep

Just go for it i think :!:
Software: should we be aware because it's soft ? I like to think not !