Code: Select all

H:\a\Sysinternals>junction.exe c:\temp\adag

c:\temp\adag: MOUNT POINT
   Substitute Name: Volume{007807e3-f90d-11de-b292-005056c00008}\

admin
Site Admin

Re: Multi-user Tags and Comments

Post by admin »

Right-click the item in XY and you see whether it is a junction (context menu will have an extra entry for junctions only). It can also be shown in File Info Tips, and in Color Filters (attr:junction).

tiago

Post by tiago »

Regarding the OT: am I missing something or I really can't tag/comment sharing a common database (.ini?) out of the box, which will be mirrored to a network? Any foreseeable chance of that database being password protected so admins only (=people having the password) can alter it?
Another more complicated but equally useful feature would be the ability to change someone else's tags through a network reflecting or not those updates in my own database.
Power-hungry user!!!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tiago wrote:Regarding the OT: am I missing something or I really can't tag/comment sharing a common database (.ini?) out of the box, which will be mirrored to a network? Any foreseeable chance of that database being password protected so admins only (=people having the password) can alter it?
Another more complicated but equally useful feature would be the ability to change someone else's tags through a network reflecting or not those updates in my own database.
If I understand you right, this is exactly what MUT is about. It's in interesting feature, it would be very powerful, there is demand, it's a killer for corporate environments, it is planned. Yet a date is not foreseeable.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Resurrected from years ago...

Searching for a way to share tags/comments across XY instances, I found this thread.

Here's what I think I understand as things are today, please tell me if I am wrong, and, if there's yet an answer to the second question:

"TagsList" is an entry in XYplorer.ini (any way to make the list of tags centralized?)
Using Admin.ini you can point FileTagDat to a shared location, but, how can two instances of XYplorer update tags at the same time?

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nothing new here at the moment. Just this old FAQ link: http://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=MUT

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Right, OK, thanks, that's where I thought things were.

The "live update" is an ideal, but the grail would be to a collaborative tags file, some magic like how Google Docs handles realtime edits.

As always, thanks Don for your prompt replies!

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Hi Don, wondering if you have any further thoughts or development toward MUT?

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

The shared tags location does allow two instances of XY to share the same tags, but, it has dangers...

If I make changes on my desktop, I won't see them on the laptop unless I "Reload Tags Database", but worse, is if I close the XY instance on the laptop without having reloaded, then those missing changes are lost, until/unless I save changes from the desktop, but then the laptop's changes are lost.

MUT would solve this, wondering if you've given any more thought to this?

Thanks,

Jeff

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's those dangers that are holding me back. I need a safe and easy (read: fool-proof) solution. I'm coming back to this again and again. It's really on my list. Currently I'm pondering a solution where each user writes his own file, but reads all user's files. Now if two or more tag the same item, it just has to be decided by some mechanism who has the loudest voice so to say. Still meditating...

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Thanks for the update, Don! History tells me with confidence you'll come up with something that's both efficient and robust. :tup:

schneider2403

Post by schneider2403 »

Like XY quite a lot and bought licence :appl: Missing MUT very much ... looking foreward to it :tup:

Yours Volker

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks. Yes, MUT is on my mind. It will be a killer.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

The new post in the Tips and Tricks forum is very similar to this MUT topic...

Lately I have had this problem in mind:
tags.png
tags.png (39.24 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
How to deal with two machines that each have local tags but also share a common location with tags :( I know this is a difficult problem, but WOW! Would this be a killer new feature if implemented.