Increase screen real estate

Features wanted...
tryforsure

Increase screen real estate

Post by tryforsure »

Hi,

I like using xyplorer but a thing that annoys me is the wasted space after the menu commands,
the " File Edit View Go..." etc toolbar location

I would like to use this by dragging my button toolbar up there.

for example I use the firefox web browser and in it I can use this extra space as shown in my image below.

I will admit that very few programs allow this but it is a nice addition.

Thanks
Dazbo

very low priority.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Increase screen real estate

Post by j_c_hallgren »

tryforsure wrote:I like using xyplorer but a thing that annoys me is the wasted space after the menu commands,the " File Edit View Go..." etc toolbar location
Given that you're fairly new here, you'd not know maybe that this has been discussed various times over the last few years...and as best I recall, there may be a technical issue that prevents it...Don would know for sure.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
tryforsure wrote:I like using xyplorer but a thing that annoys me is the wasted space after the menu commands,the " File Edit View Go..." etc toolbar location
Given that you're fairly new here, you'd not know maybe that this has been discussed various times over the last few years...and as best I recall, there may be a technical issue that prevents it...Don would know for sure.
Yes, technical and aesthetical. :wink:

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:Yes, technical and aesthetical. :wink:
It's too bad about that technical issue, cause I've used that space in IE for my addr bar for years and love having it there instead of wasting all that gray space! Gives me a very sizable AB which otherwise would require a separate row and thus reduce my usable screen area and on a smaller screen like mine, usable space is sometimes much more important than looks. :wink:
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

tryforsure

Post by tryforsure »

Yes that is a pity.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Quite a pity, in fact. I'd love to see a flow-like interface in XYplorer so parts of it can be moved around (ala DnD) and resized as desired. But a man can dream :lol:
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

tryforsure

Post by tryforsure »

Too show a further example of where I find this useful, I upload an image of another productivity program I use..

I'm not trying to suggest that xyplorer should look like this. All i'm focusing on is the usability aspect.

In fact I use xyplorer more each day, because its such an innovative product that incorporates so many other features.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tryforsure wrote:Too show a further example of where I find this useful, I upload an image of another productivity program I use..

I'm not trying to suggest that xyplorer should look like this. All i'm focusing on is the usability aspect.

In fact I use xyplorer more each day, because its such an innovative product that incorporates so many other features.
Thanks. I'm totally into usability and always open for ideas. But I'm not such a fan of a completely packed screen. I believe in the "power of space": white (empty) areas on your screen will make your work more enjoyable and (hence) more effective.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:Thanks. I'm totally into usability and always open for ideas. But I'm not such a fan of a completely packed screen. I believe in the "power of space": white (empty) areas on your screen will make your work more enjoyable and (hence) more effective.
But there's white space & white space. I mean, I have lots of white space on my XY window, mostly from Tree & List, and that's good. But having a menu bar empty isn't white space to me, but wasted space (which is why I'm filling it up actually... couldn't stand it ;))

If we could have the TB right up there next to the menu, it would only be a plus. I always like/try to maximize my "area of work" in apps, and for instance the fact that, on FF, I can only use one row to have AB, TB & menu is a blessing! (And I won't comment on the technical part, but aesthetical: I think my FF is beautiful (and efficient) that way, much more than if it had to have 3 rows with wasted space all over the place and whatnot...)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic