Thumbnails in tooltips

Features wanted...
tryforsure

Thumbnails in tooltips

Post by tryforsure »

I did a search and cant see this being requested anywhere...

Anyway, file tooltips are good but some sort of file preview function within the tooltip would be great.

cheers
Dazbo

zer0

Re: Thumbnails in tooltips

Post by zer0 »

I think something like this could be useful for preview of images (even though that's already a button away). For files that are quite large, it could mean XY freezing while it loads and other performance drawbacks.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

oleg01

Post by oleg01 »

I would agree that this would be interesting if put as an option so you can disable it if you want to. To make it a standard feature would absolutely slow down performance making XYplorer unusable in some computers.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

oleg01 wrote:I would agree that this would be interesting if put as an option so you can disable it if you want to. To make it a standard feature would absolutely slow down performance making XYplorer unusable in some computers.
A feature like that would definitely not make the factory default. I can't speak for Don, but from everything that I read him saying over the months, XY's performance is one of his top priorities. Therefore, if this were to make it into XY, it's likely to be a tweak or an optional tickbox.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

tryforsure

Post by tryforsure »

It might slow down performance but only when you were actually pointing at the file in question, at that time
you would, probably be willing to wait an extra few milliseconds to see a thumbnail.

And if it was taken too long, you could cancel the render just by moving your mouse away from the file.

I would be willing to wait for a thumbnail in a tooltip instead of having to double click, press a button or render several thumbnails in thumbnail mode.

cheers

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

tryforsure wrote:It might slow down performance but only when you were actually pointing at the file in question, at that time
you would, probably be willing to wait an extra few milliseconds to see a thumbnail.
Interesting concept that you've had here!

How about this way to handle it: Only do the thumbnail when hovering over the icon? If you hover on filename, the std tooltip would be used...and of course, this thumbnail option would need to be user selectable feature, I'm pretty sure.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

tryforsure wrote:It might slow down performance but only when you were actually pointing at the file in question, at that time

And if it was taken too long, you could cancel the render just by moving your mouse away from the file.

I would be willing to wait for a thumbnail in a tooltip instead of having to double click, press a button or render several thumbnails in thumbnail mode.

cheers
We already have the tweak (FileInfoTipHoldShift=1) where one can hold shift while pointing at the file icon to get tooltip. For thumbs is not bad either.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tryforsure wrote:And if it was taken too long, you could cancel the render just by moving your mouse away from the file.
The rendering won't return once it started. It cannot be cancelled.

tryforsure

Post by tryforsure »

We already have the tweak (FileInfoTipHoldShift=1) where one can hold shift while pointing at the file icon to get tooltip. For thumbs is not bad either.
I dont understand what you mean by this.

admin wrote:
tryforsure wrote:And if it was taken too long, you could cancel the render just by moving your mouse away from the file.
The rendering won't return once it started. It cannot be cancelled.
Well some sort of threshold could be set where if the file was greater than 10MB then no attept would be made.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

tryforsure wrote:
I dont understand what you mean by this.
i am sorry, I was in a hurry when i posted this. What i meant was:

1) We already have a ini tweak to show infotips only when you hold shift button and focus cursor on the file icon.
2) If Don decides to have thumbs on infotips he can use a similar tweak for it.

Chuck Norris

Post by Chuck Norris »

Firstly, I would like to say that I love XYplorer and that you've done a great job with it. Image

I would really Image love for thumbnails to show up on tooltips! I collect lots of images but I prefer to browse generally in list or details view. (I know that there is a 'details with thumbnails #1' view mode, but that's not what I am looking for.) Using Windows Explorer and the ( http://qttabbar.wikidot.com/ ) QT Tab Bar Explorer extension, it is very easy to view previews for images simply by hovering your cursor over the file, no matter which viewing mode you are using. It doesn't matter if you're in icons mode, list mode, details mode-- just hovering will pop up a preview image. And that's all I'm looking for. (Options for adjusting size would be nice, too, but even just allowing for the 3 preset thumbnail sizes, or for a few other presets, would be a great step in the right direction.)

I know that there are plenty of ways to preview images in XYplorer already. However, the "pop up image in original size on mouse down" thumbnails function only works when you're already in thumbnails view. Image The preview tab in the info panel below the status bar works, but it then takes up space in the area of the explorer view and moves the file icons all over the place.

There is no reason a feature like this should take up any more processing power. Creating the image preview popup would be on-demand, just like the file tooltips, and just like using the preview portion of the info panel. There is already an option to make it so that the tooltips only popup when you hover over the file's icon, so it's not like randomly moving your mouse over the XYplorer window would trigger dozens of image previews to popup-- and even if it did, setting a 500ms-1sec delay would completely alleviate that issue. So it's a non-issue. It should be a very simple feature option to add and it would make me very happy! Image

A very similar but alternative option would be to allow us to display the thumbnail/fullscreen preview popup by clicking on a file's icon. Image That way, it only happens when you want it to.

Thanks again! Image

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

First the roadmap, then we'll see... :)