clickable paths

Features wanted...
Gandolf

Re: clickable paths

Post by Gandolf »

As I understand it Don is intending to use the pane header (like x² & T.C.) and not the address bar (as Vista & DOpus) do. The principle is the same, but I prefer the T.C. implementation.

T.C. layout - directories shown in a scrollable list (scroll bar and arrow keys top / bottom).
TC layout
TC layout
Breadcrumb - TC.png (71.06 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
x² layout - all in one list, very large directories can exceed the screen width.
x² layout
x² layout
Breadcrumb - x².png (69.35 KiB) Viewed 1408 times

JustinF

Post by JustinF »

Gandolf wrote:As I understand it Don is intending to use the pane header (like x² & T.C.) and not the address bar (as Vista & DOpus) do. The principle is the same, but I prefer the T.C. implementation.

T.C. layout - directories shown in a scrollable list (scroll bar and arrow keys top / bottom).
Ok, I see what that looks like. Not bad. The thing Vista's WE has going for it is you can get the list of subfolders for ANY directory in your current path, not just the current directory, which comes in handy.
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Menus with a scrollbar?? Never seen this before. Is this a Vista thing?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

JustinF wrote:Ok, I see what that looks like. Not bad. The thing Vista's WE has going for it is you can get the list of subfolders for ANY directory in your current path, not just the current directory, which comes in handy.
Gandolf, thanks for the screenshots! 8) Definitely helps to understand what competing products do...
Of the two shown, I prefer the TC way as the X2 seems a bit unwieldy...

But I also agree with JustinF in that ability to pick another, for ex, "grandparent" folder from current would be quite useful...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

But you can. Just try T.C. (or x²) - any directory in the path will list the sub-directories.

So with a path of "j:\2008\November\12\", displayed in the pane header, by clicking on "j" gives a list of 2007, 2008, 2009....; on 2008 gives April, August, December... etc... all with flyouts of subdirectories. I can go straight to "j:\2007\December\17\" for instance from the current path. x² is the same, there is a registry tweak to enable / disable the flyouts.

I assume that is how Don intends to implement it.

If I remember correctly (I can't find the dates without checking back on C.D.'s) x² had the feature before Vista was released. T.C. has only added it in the latest (beta) release.

JustinF

Post by JustinF »

Gandolf wrote:But you can. Just try T.C. (or x²) - any directory in the path will list the sub-directories.

So with a path of "j:\2008\November\12\", displayed in the pane header, by clicking on "j" gives a list of 2007, 2008, 2009....; on 2008 gives April, August, December... etc... all with flyouts of subdirectories. I can go straight to "j:\2007\December\17\" for instance from the current path. x² is the same, there is a registry tweak to enable / disable the flyouts.
That's good to know. I just might install TC later today and take it for a spin. If that is indeed the way Don is planning then all may be well.
Justin
Windows 7 Professional