Synchronize 2 folders

Features wanted...
highend

Re: Synchronize 2 folders

Post by highend »

what about keeping the timestamp of last sync?
I wouldn't try to complicate things so much. What if somebody uses
a different tool to sync a part of the items that were last synced
with XY: I don't want XY to do (from my perspective in such a case)
"foolish" things when this happens...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

zer0

Post by zer0 »

For folder sync, I have 3 wishes at the moment:

- Allow skipping of name collisions (and do so by default unless chosen otherwise)
- Allow sync to multiple destinations simultaneously (1 source, 2+ destinations)
- Allow favourites in context menu, so I can right-click a folder and choose Sync > <list of recently-used destinations>

Hopefully it's not too much :)
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

- Allow skipping of name collisions (and do so by default unless chosen otherwise)
Already done. 8)

- Allow sync to multiple destinations simultaneously (1 source, 2+ destinations)
Possible via scripting. Not simultaneously, but one after the other.

- Allow favourites in context menu, so I can right-click a folder and choose Sync > <list of recently-used destinations>
Well, that looks like a little too much special comfort. But something similar should be possible via scripting.

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

Will there be a way to preview all file changes (even if it's just a log of a "sync simulation") prior to performing a sync?

This might help mitigate the need for a bunch of these specialized features I and others are requesting. At least if we could see the effects about to occur through sync, we could manually change the state of files (delete, move, rename, etc.) for odds-and-ends that need to be dealt with, and then run the sync when we see a sync preview that looks "clean" and satisfactory.

Would be great to be able to see such a sync preview/log before and after sync.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

xyplorerköln wrote:Will there be a way to preview all file changes (even if it's just a log of a "sync simulation") prior to performing a sync?
Yes. I had planned this as a surprise, but now you asked for it. :om: :biggrin:

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:- Allow sync to multiple destinations simultaneously (1 source, 2+ destinations)
Possible via scripting. Not simultaneously, but one after the other.
Why can't these not be run in parallel? Sample use case: sync a folder on my laptop's internal drive with 2 separate external ones. My internal SSD can easily drive the speed needed to write to separate USB3.0 devices.
admin wrote:- Allow favourites in context menu, so I can right-click a folder and choose Sync > <list of recently-used destinations>
Well, that looks like a little too much special comfort. But something similar should be possible via scripting.
I don't think it's that special at all. We already have all sorts of "do X with this item" context menu options, putting Sync into it with an MRU list of destination makes perfect sense. Sync is, by definition, likely to be a frequently-occurring activity. Therefore, putting a list of MRU locations within a couple of clicks seems logical to me.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:
admin wrote:- Allow favourites in context menu, so I can right-click a folder and choose Sync > <list of recently-used destinations>
I don't think it's that special at all. We already have all sorts of "do X with this item" context menu options, putting Sync into it with an MRU list of destination makes perfect sense. Sync is, by definition, likely to be a frequently-occurring activity. Therefore, putting a list of MRU locations within a couple of clicks seems logical to me.
Yes, you are right. It will come in phase two.

BTW, I'm working on Sync non-stop. It's much more work than I first thought. :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:Yes, you are right. It will come in phase two.
Could the multiple-copy code be reused for viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17824?
admin wrote:BTW, I'm working on Sync non-stop. It's much more work than I first thought. :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:
Hey, hearing that is my daily business, lol.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

A huge thanks , Don. :appl: :appl: :appl:

Code: Select all

v18.30.0002 - 2017-09-07 12:31
  +++ Added Sync Folders, available here:
I just did a quick test using the toolbar button to check wether it can replace my robocopy settings. Well, I was sure it will, but the first release. I was brave and did this approval on my real backup system. :mrgreen:

It works! :D :D

The deeper stuff I will do with scripting, but this will take some time...

I hope you've replaced the :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: with :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Cheers,
Filehero

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great! :biggrin: :beer:

I'm adding some refinements to reporting currently (-> show which folders were created).
SC sync documentation comes with next beta.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:I'm adding some refinements to reporting currently (-> show which folders were created).
Cool, then my question is just perfectly in scope: when I loop sync a bunch of folders will I get one log in the end?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Uhm, no: It's one log per job.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:Uhm, no: It's one log per job.
Could the log string be made an optional return value of SC sync?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Difficult.

But I could maybe write the log to some variable that you could access via SC get or <get...>, e.g. <get LastFileOpReport>. It would always contain the report from the most recent Backup, Custom Copy/Move, or Sync Folders operation.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:But I could maybe write the log to some variable that you could access via SC get or <get...>, e.g. <get LastFileOpReport>. It would always contain the report from the most recent Backup, Custom Copy/Move, or Sync Folders operation.
This would be great.

Why do I want to have this?
My backups are organized in categories which are represented by the backup folder names. These names are identical in the source and target drives, so the parent paths are different for obvious reasons. When backuping the backups I simply want to iterate over the "categories" and assemble the full qualified paths on the fly. After all is done I want to have one common report.