Fine, but lowest priority
33%
I don't want this feature ever
8%

Total votes: 12

Chris Wood

Folder thumbnails, 2

Post by Chris Wood »

Resurrecting my #1 feature request from a few years ago. Though I see someone else asked for it last year.

Folder thumbnails - folder icons display a thumbnail of any file in the folder named "folder.*" (where * is an image extension, especially png, jpg, jpeg, gif and bmp). The latter would be an improvement over Explorer (which only does jpg, gif and bmp). Explorer also shows a bunch of thumbnails where there is no folder.* image but to me that's an optional second part.

This would also fulfill the request for larger folder thumbnails.
test everything. hold on to the good.

fishgod

Re: Folder thumbnails, 2

Post by fishgod »

I never really used this feature in WE.
Instead of thumbnails through folder.*-files I've always using custom folder-icons via desktop.ini.
Okay, in thumbnail-view the icons doesn't get bigger than 32x32 and you need to create a .ico-file out of the image you want to use, but its enough for me.
So I've voted for lowest prio.
Operating System: Win10 x64 / Win7 x64 / almost allways newest XY-beta
totally XYscripting-addicted

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Although I voted "Would be nice, but should be a low priority" I indulged in the pleasure of contradicting myself and simply added it because it was so easy to do. The yellow background is a bit raw but (I think) less ugly than Explorer's flat-fat folder icon pancakes.

See yourself: 4 items in the list, 3 of them folders, 1 image file (happens to be the same pic as in folder "bruce"), 2 of the folders have a "folder.jpg" resp. "folder.png" inside.
Attachments
folderthumbs.png
folderthumbs.png (47.04 KiB) Viewed 3600 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:Folder thumbnails - folder icons display a thumbnail of any file in the folder named "folder.*" (where * is an image extension, especially png, jpg, jpeg, gif and bmp)
Why jpeg? I find this a rather uncommon extension.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

I agree, your thumbnail on folders are a lot better than explorer's and MDBU is great too.

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

Thanks so much for fulfilling my number one request!
admin wrote:
Chris Wood wrote:Folder thumbnails - folder icons display a thumbnail of any file in the folder named "folder.*" (where * is an image extension, especially png, jpg, jpeg, gif and bmp)
It's just an alternative to jpg. You're right, it's not common, but why not?

Code: Select all

[color=#00FF00]If no "folder.*" is found, the alphabetically first JPG image in the folder is taken (if any).[/color]
I have to ask, why only JPG, and not the other kinds as well? That would be consistent...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:Thanks so much for fulfilling my number one request!
admin wrote:
It's just an alternative to jpg. You're right, it's not common, but why not?

[color=#00FF00]If no "folder.*" is found, the alphabetically first JPG image in the folder is taken (if any).[/color]
I have to ask, why only JPG, and not the other kinds as well? That would be consistent...
The answer to both: performance. Minimal, but every nonsecond counts. If you have many folders without any folder.* and without any *.jpg then another polling of *.png would notably decrease browsing speed.

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

If you're worried about performance you could safely remove the check for folder.jpeg and folder.bmp. People can convert them if they need to, they're both uncommon.

peterbonge

Post by peterbonge »

Chris Wood wrote:...

I second that! If this is really a performance problem you can make it optional (and off by default). I often have folders with PNGs only and it doesn't look very good if just every second folder shows a thumbnail.
Regards,
Peter Bonge

My System: Windows 11 Pro, 64-bit, German

ramza__x

Post by ramza__x »

i cast my vote, that is to even out the highest
:roll:
Windows XP Pro (SP3) (x86)
1680x1050 Res /120 DPI, Acer Laptop