Closing Info Panel

Features wanted...
mwoffenden

Closing Info Panel

Post by mwoffenden »

Would like to wish that the Info Panel had a Close [x] button.
Michael D. Woffenden, Information Results Corporation
http://www.InformationResults.com/

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Closing Info Panel

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Given that there is a keyboard shortcut to do so, plus a toolbar icon, having a close is a bit redundant is one reason why there isn't such...plus since it's not a true 'window', just like the tree or Catalog, it wouldn't make sense, IMO.

I have set of TB icons to adjust the display and find that works quite well...the "Show Nav Panel", "Toggle Wide IP", "max/Min IP", "last/min IP" and "show/hide IP" allow me to quickly reconfig as needed.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

JustinF

Post by JustinF »

You can also click on the status bar to toggle the Info Panel on and off.
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

mwoffenden

Post by mwoffenden »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Given that there is a keyboard shortcut to do so, plus a toolbar icon, having a close is a bit redundant is one reason why there isn't such...
Thanks for your comments. I do UI design and development (Windows and Web) for a living so I have a pretty well refined sense on these things. :)

I actually don't use the Info Panel that much -- but when I do, I'm always "reaching" for the Close button. IMHO it's clearly missing.

I also do think it's a window -- and it's quite different from the tree or catalog. Another consideration is that there are many of us who do not use KB shortcuts at all, but use the mouse for nearly everything.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

mwoffenden wrote: I'm always "reaching" for the Close button. IMHO it's clearly missing.
As Justin pointed out, the status bar click works as well, and that's a much larger area to aim for than a button...just pretend there is a button at right end of status bar, maybe? :wink:
I also do think it's a window -- and it's quite different from the tree or catalog. Another consideration is that there are many of us who do not use KB shortcuts at all, but use the mouse for nearly everything.
Agree on the mouse as I use a touchpad so some things easy to do on regular mouse are harder for me...but in XY terminology, it's not a window but a panel, as is the Navigation Panel (tree & Catalog)...the only window is the XY session itself.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

mwoffenden

Post by mwoffenden »

JustinF wrote:You can also click on the status bar to toggle the Info Panel on and off.
Assuming the status bar is visible.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

mwoffenden wrote:Assuming the status bar is visible.
Even though I've used XY for 3 yrs+, there are thing I don't know/recall about it, but AFAIK, one can't make status bar not show...if you're seeing the list in any way, the status bar is there, and if you're not seeing the list, you can't see the IP either.

BTW, I'm not trying to argue with ya, just provide info.

mwoffenden

Post by mwoffenden »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
one can't make status bar not show...
Indeed - you are right. My inexperience. I found the status bar. However: clicking it does not close the IP for me.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

mwoffenden wrote:
j_c_hallgren wrote:
one can't make status bar not show...
Indeed - you are right. My inexperience. I found the status bar. However: clicking it does not close the IP for me.
See the Config>General in right bottom area...there is a option there...which, btw, shows tooltip that right-click on bar does last size/min size toggle, which as touchpad user, doesn't do that much for me...but may for you, ok? I just use the TB icons most all the time.

ale

Post by ale »

The exact option is: "Configuration" > "General" > "Click on status bar toggles info panel" wich is disabled in a default configuration. It's absolutely the first thing I change :)

When the option is enabled you can show and hide the info panel with a left mouse click on the status bar

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mwoffenden wrote:I actually don't use the Info Panel that much -- but when I do, I'm always "reaching" for the Close button. IMHO it's clearly missing.
This kind of newbie experience is very important to me. I decided to do something about the situation.

When I add the Close button, next time you will ask for a button to open the Info Panel, which of course cannot be on the Info Panel itself since it is not there at that point.

So a better summary solution would be a little button on the right end of the Statusbar that will toggle the Info Panel! Now, for some people the space on the Statusbar is important, so it should be an optional button. OK?

Uagadugu

Post by Uagadugu »

mwoffenden wrote:I actually don't use the Info Panel that much -- but when I do, I'm always "reaching" for the Close button. IMHO it's clearly missing.
It is good that it is missing; reduces clutter in the interface, IMO.

If the info panel needs a close button, what about the tabs?
Shouldn't they have them too for the sake of consistency? :?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:So a better summary solution would be a little button on the right end of the Statusbar that will toggle the Info Panel! Now, for some people the space on the Statusbar is important, so it should be an optional button. OK?
Ok, so any chance of making this a multiple-choice button that is unique so that one could use it to select the other IP options as well, like min/max or last/min which could possibly allow me to remove a couple of TB icons from my overly crowded TB?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
admin wrote:So a better summary solution would be a little button on the right end of the Statusbar that will toggle the Info Panel! Now, for some people the space on the Statusbar is important, so it should be an optional button. OK?
Ok, so any chance of making this a multiple-choice button that is unique so that one could use it to select the other IP options as well, like min/max or last/min which could possibly allow me to remove a couple of TB icons from my overly crowded TB?
Dunno yet. This is a post-DP thing anyway. Uagadugu's clutter point is valid though. Earlier versions of TrackerV3 actually had an icon/button at that position and I later removed it to simplify the interface.