Global keyboard shortcut to restore XYplorer from tray

Features wanted...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Global keyboard shortcut to restore XYplorer from tray

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Is there some way to detrmine which "Win+" keys are already in use? It would appear that Win+X is free from your usage, but just made me wonder.
Good question -- no idea...

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Is there some way to detrmine which "Win+" keys are already in use? It would appear that Win+X is free from your usage, but just made me wonder.
Actually, according to Wikipedia, Win+X is used in Vista (and I'd assume Windows 7).

Really, Microsoft recommends developers avoid making use of the Win key as a modifier as they may put it to further use in the future, and not using it now means not having to break habits and update code. That's not to say I agree, but with Win+X already in use Don may want to reconsider the default.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:
Actually, according to Wikipedia, Win+X is used in Vista (and I'd assume Windows 7).

Really, Microsoft recommends developers avoid making use of the Win key as a modifier as they may put it to further use in the future, and not using it now means not having to break habits and update code. That's not to say I agree, but with Win+X already in use Don may want to reconsider the default.
Okay, thanks. Currently it's just a tweak. I will probably lift it to configuration soon and then give you full control over all modifier keys (ctrl, shift, alt, win).

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:Okay, thanks. Currently it's just a tweak. I will probably lift it to configuration soon and then give you full control over all modifier keys (ctrl, shift, alt, win).
I had assumed as much. I actually wasn't suggesting you should follow their guidelines and not use Win at all, just that it might be better as Win+something else since Win+X is in use.

I can't find info for Windows 7 (though admittedly I hardly looked) but for Vista:
Keyboard Shortcuts
Microsoft's Guidelines

a1l0s2k9

Post by a1l0s2k9 »

admin wrote:Okay, I added it and I must say I like it. :) On my system now, Win+X will restore/foreground XY.
Thanks very much! I like it too. :) I have Alt-Q bound to minimize, and Win-Q bound to restore, it's great!
The following "Win+" keys are reserved by Windows: Win+B,D,E,F,L,M,R,U, and Win+Shift+M. Win+B and Win+L might only be reserved on Windows XP and above.

Other keys you can't set: Ctrl+Alt+Delete, F12, and the base modifiers themselves (i.e. Alt, Ctrl, Shift, or Win, without any extra keys). Other than that, all keys and key-bindings should be available for hotkeys. Of course we can only use Win+ keys with the new restore-from-tray feature, but I thought I'd pass along these other tidbits anyway. :) Source: AutoIt Help file for HotKeySet() command.

I'm not aware of a way to get a list of unused keybindings except to write a script/program that tries to set every key combination, and shows the user only those that it was able to set (i.e. exclude those that were unable to be set because of an error). This free software claims to be able to list unused keys, but I can't vouch for it.

a1l0s2k9

Ysl

Post by Ysl »

I really like the possiblity to have global hotkeys like in MediaMonkey in the future !

I do a lot of copying in Firefox then paste to XY then set the drive, push enter...to look for the copied text (mostly artist/songs) in my HD

I would love a global hotkey that I can push (even if XY do not have the focus) and it will run a macro that will paste the text in XP and do the search, it will save me time !

I don't know but this may be of help

http://www.dotnet2themax.com/ShowConten ... bb7075ba78

Thanks

Patchesweaver

Post by Patchesweaver »

I'd like to revive this old thread to see if this issue has been resolved in recent updates.
I've searched through a few similar threads as well and haven't found a solution that doesn't involve a third party program (AHK or similar).

Within the past posts within this thread, it seems that there might be a way to enable this restoring XYplorer from the tray, but (and maybe I'm missing something) I can't understand what the actual solution was. Would somebody mind shedding some light on this please? Thank you in advance.

mussor

Post by mussor »

The simplest way for me:
XY occupies first place in my tray-pinned programs.
Then I simply use Win+1 to put it on top of all