Other languages

Features wanted...
Dutch

Other languages

Post by Dutch »

Hi,

I am new to XYplorer and my fist impression is very good! But are there or will it be possible to have a Dutch version?

That would make the program eaysy to use for me and even more easy for my family.

Hope to hear,

Regards,

Dutch

ivan

Post by ivan »

Hi,

Welcome here, glad to know you like XYplorer.

You need to click on that Roadmap link above this thread. I personally would like to see Russian version but XY needs to be 100% unicode for that. I'm sure it will happen but not just yet :)
Windows Vista Business SP1 32-bit, Logitech MX400 mouse, SetPoint 4.60.122

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dutch version, Russian version, French version... I get this wishes quite often, but people usually don't realize how much work this would be.

Interface (lots of windows), Message Boxes (hundreds), Help File (big), other accompanying files, online documentation...

Then most languages takes more space than english, so the layout will often breakm unless i provide additional space.

As you will know, XY is constantly developed. It's already a burden to keep the English documentation up-to-date.

You see, I would have to hire people for this job. Currently I do not plan to do this.

ivan

Post by ivan »

This is where the community could contribute a lot. The broader the scope of the application, and this is achieved by making it multilingual, the wider the potential market for XYplorer. For most people in the world, English is not their native language so it's a little unfair to deny them the pleasure of XYplorer on those grounds. To draw a parallel line, it's like Angela Merkel saying "Nein" to my visa application to go see the Berlin wall and taste some of the best beer and sausages in the world just because "Ich spreche kein Deutsch". Not right, ja? :?
Windows Vista Business SP1 32-bit, Logitech MX400 mouse, SetPoint 4.60.122

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ivan wrote:This is where the community could contribute a lot. The broader the scope of the application, and this is achieved by making it multilingual, the wider the potential market for XYplorer. For most people in the world, English is not their native language so it's a little unfair to deny them the pleasure of XYplorer on those grounds. To draw a parallel line, it's like Angela Merkel saying "Nein" to my visa application to go see the Berlin wall and taste some of the best beer and sausages in the world just because "Ich spreche kein Deutsch". Not right, ja? :?
I completely understand the appeal of it, I only say it's too much work. Yes, the community can contribute, but a lot of work stays with me. Too much.

BAZ187REM

Re: Other languages

Post by BAZ187REM »

Hello,

i'm using trial version of this software (the must have for me) and i'm going to buy it soon.

But my wife doesn't speack english and it will be nice if someone can help you to realize a french dictionnary or in other language.

I know that it is lot of work but if you could do something :)

Best regards

Nicolas :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BAZ187REM wrote:Hello,

i'm using trial version of this software (the must have for me) and i'm going to buy it soon.

But my wife doesn't speack english and it will be nice if someone can help you to realize a french dictionnary or in other language.

I know that it is lot of work but if you could do something :)

Best regards

Nicolas :D
I'm really sorry because I get a lot of such requests. But it's still true: I just can't do the work. Believe me, it's just too much. (And help from others won't help enough.)

never mind,
Don

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Hi and welcome to the XY forums!

As Don wrote last year, the core changes needed to make it work are extensive so it just might be easier for you to teach your wife enough English to get around in XY, or at least the core functions...

Which brings up an idea :idea: ...maybe you could create a French section on the wiki? The "owner" of the wiki (jacky) is also from France so he maight be able to help in the process...could Google Translate be used to make the basic starting page versions and then y'all clean it up?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

BAZ187REM

Post by BAZ187REM »

:lol: ok I'll learn basic english words to my wife

The most she'll use are copy, paste, delete, create folder. It's quite easy I think.

I'll post some ideas for future version of XYplorer.

Thanks for your support

Nicolas

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BAZ187REM wrote::lol: ok I'll learn basic english words to my wife

The most she'll use are copy, paste, delete, create folder. It's quite easy I think.

I'll post some ideas for future version of XYplorer.

Thanks for your support

Nicolas
You could create UDCs (user-defined commands) for her and put the captions in french... :)

lucky24i

Post by lucky24i »

Hello

I'm not bad in english and french is my mother tongue. If you're interested, I can do a translation in french if you have an english language file to provide (free of charge of course). I just installed XYplorer (few hours ago) and still using the trial version but so far, I really like it :D

If you're planning on "internationalizing" XYplorer, think it's possible to ease the process of translation with a language file and have some time (I would do this on my free time), then I'll gladly help!

lucky

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

lucky24i wrote:Hello

I'm not bad in english and french is my mother tongue. If you're interested, I can do a translation in french if you have an english language file to provide (free of charge of course). I just installed XYplorer (few hours ago) and still using the trial version but so far, I really like it :D

If you're planning on "internationalizing" XYplorer, think it's possible to ease the process of translation with a language file and have some time (I would do this on my free time), then I'll gladly help!

lucky
Thanks, but all my precious time goes into improving the app's functionality.