excluding some files from a search template (tab)

Features wanted...
Leopoldus

excluding some files from a search template (tab)

Post by Leopoldus »

Is it possible to add an option to exclude files the same way as it is now excluding folders (I mean the tab "Exclude folders").

Well, you can use Boolean logical operator "not" directly in your query – but not in every situation.
At the first, you may need use non-Boolean (natural) query.
At the second, at some tab (search template) you may need to exclude some files from search forever. For example, you have thousands of mp3, avi, mpeg etc. videofiles at your logical drive, but there are many other files there too. You usually need to search only among non-video files and you wish to create a tab for this search. If you have to use only Boolean operators, your query to find all AAA files is the following:
AAA and !mpg and !avi and !mp3 and !wmv
and query for all BBB files is:
BBB and !mpg and !avi and !mp3 and !wmv
etc. etc. for every of your queries.
It would be much faster and more convenient to type only "AAA" and "BBB" for a query, wouldn't it?

admin
Site Admin

Re: excluding some files from a search template (tab)

Post by admin »

I already have plans to add a second name field. That would also solve your problem in a very simple way.

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

Donald, how goes your work at this feature? Is it very far in you to-do list?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Leopoldus wrote:Donald, how goes your work at this feature? Is it very far in you to-do list?
Day and night I ponder one question: where shall I put the second name field?? I don't find a good place...

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

Day and night I ponder one question: where shall I put the second name field?? I don't find a good place...

Well, I'd consider the total rearranging of buttons on control panel.

For example to move this large button "Find Now" into the right bottom corner of the Tracker's window. The options checkboxes "Match case"...... "Invert" .... "Check full path" to move to the current place of the button "Find Now".
In this way you'd get much more space for additional options you may whish to implement in the future.

So you'll win free space under the box "Name" and you can place here a second long "Name" box and a short box for logical operator before it. In this case only the button "Templates..." remains without place, but it is not a big problem to find a new place for it.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

Leopoldus wrote:...large button "Find Now" into the right bottom corner...

I don't agree with that idea. I think the "Find Now" button should be as near as possible to the point where the information to find is entered. On a large display (1600 X 1200), using the mouse it is impractical to have to move from the Name entry field to a button at the right bottom corner. The other ideas look practical but I don't know what problems they might cause on smaller screen sizes (800 X 600 for example, might not display all the information).

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

I think the "Find Now" button should be as near as possible to the point where the information to find is entered. On a large display (1600 X 1200), using the mouse it is impractical to have to move from the Name entry field to a button at the right bottom corner.
As I prefer to use a keybord, it is rather difficult for me to understand this problem. However you have no any alternative for using the keybord to enter search inquiry, why don't you whish to finish this work by pressing [Enter] at your keybord?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Everything must work and be visible within 800 X 600.
What now?

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

Hello, Donald. What about a second name field - IMHO one of your most intresting idea concerning files search interface, which has not been fulfilled. :(
If it is not know yet the time to do it, my be as a temporary solution you could modify "Excluded Folders" converting it into "Excluded folders and files"? I don't think it to be very difficut to code, isn't it?
Surele this option have to be tab-dependent.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Leopoldus wrote:Hello, Donald. What about a second name field - IMHO one of your most intresting idea concerning files search interface, which has not been fulfilled. :(
Yes, I immediately thought about it when I added the new Options tab. Now we have the necessary space!

Later...