Match selected text color to filter color.

Features wanted...
I.R.Brainiac

Match selected text color to filter color.

Post by I.R.Brainiac »

I love the color filters on file types.I wish those colors would persist when an item is selected instead of using the regular text colors.

Example... I have a pink color filter for .png.When selected that pink goes to the color set for all general items.I would like it to stay the color of the color filter setting.

Not a huge problem,just a would be nice to have.

thanks from Michael. :cup:

admin
Site Admin

Re: Match selected text color to filter color.

Post by admin »

Selections are typically light on dark, while unselected items are dark on light. I'm not sure how your wish could work. Do you have a screen shot?

I.R.Brainiac

Post by I.R.Brainiac »

I am a dark theme person.I use light text on dark backgrounds.Selections are even darker with light text.Would be sweet if selections retained their color filters.(instead of the light gold color I use for regular text.
Attachments
Screenshot selected colors.png
Screenshot selected colors.png (605.8 KiB) Viewed 564 times

I.R.Brainiac

Post by I.R.Brainiac »

I only just realized I am using the text and selection color from the Highlights and Dark Mode settings page.(dark select with light gold text)

With that off I see what you mean...light select with dark text.That was worse for me.(hurt my eyes and brain) :veryconfused:

So,thank you for the choice of select and text colors.Still would like persistant color filters when selected.It is a very minor wish.I am 99% happy with XY.It is a major shock when something opens Explorer for me. gaaaaaaaahhhhh!

The hardest part in using color filters was choosing enough different colors. :lol:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You seem to use Full Row Select and that is your problem. :) Without it you would see that all columns apart from the Name column retain the filter color.

I.R.Brainiac

Post by I.R.Brainiac »

OK,thank you,I will try that.
I really like full row select though. :|

edit: I cant give up full row select.
If you have a back color specified for the color filter,and full row select,the text color dosnt change.(it looks a little weird so I only use a back color on one extension just to see if I can get used to it)

Without full row select,and a back color,the text color does change. (makes sense else you couldnt really tell what was selected)

Oh well...good enough as is.
thanks
Last edited by I.R.Brainiac on 28 Nov 2022 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Check out this mild form of Full Row Select: Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Mouse | Full name column select

I.R.Brainiac

Post by I.R.Brainiac »

That had no effect.

I already had that checked.I seem to have broken it.

I still very much prefer full row. :appl:

Its fine really...the most important thing is being able to tell whats selected...and XY does that fine.

thanks from Michael. :cup:

I.R.Brainiac

Post by I.R.Brainiac »

Just noticed...a color filter with a back color only has the color on the name column...not all the way across.
I am ashamed I didnt notice immediately. :roll:

So no back colors for me...I like seeing the color filter go all the way across. ;)

I.R.Brainiac

Post by I.R.Brainiac »

I think its funny that as an artist,there seems to be so many colors available but when you need easy to read and differentiated text colors,suddenly you run out of color choices fast. :P

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gotta see the selection.

This will make it as wide as the Name column:
Configuration | Colors and Styles | Color Filters | Draw background colors as wide as the column

I.R.Brainiac

Post by I.R.Brainiac »

Yes,thank you,tried that as well.
Back colors is a neat feature and can make it easy to spot certain file types if you need that.

Different text colors is enough for me for now.I like that I can have related files have similar but easily differentiated colors.

Like .raf files spawn related files when edited in different software.You can make them all shades of red and tell them apart from jpgs at a glance.(jpgs being green of course :biggrin: )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I.R.Brainiac wrote: 28 Nov 2022 19:40 jpgs being green of course :biggrin:
of course! :beer: