Add Commands or Buttons to the Breadcrumb Bar

Features wanted...
GreetingsFromPoland

Add Commands or Buttons to the Breadcrumb Bar

Post by GreetingsFromPoland »

Title. Here is an example of a "command prompt here" button in the Breadcrumb area (another software). With higher resolution monitors that is quite a bit of empty space that can be used for frequent commands.
Image-003.png
Image-003.png (3.83 KiB) Viewed 769 times

highend

Re: Add Commands or Buttons to the Breadcrumb Bar

Post by highend »

The hamburger menu left of the breadcrumbs in only a single click away...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

GreetingsFromPoland

Yes it is and I use it quite often. When you are set to 2560x1440 there is quite a bit of blank space that can be used.

GreetingsFromPoland

Maybe developer could add empty spaces next to the Hamburger that CTBs can be assigned to.

This may be easier and faster to implement. If nothing is added it will look as it does now but we have the option to add buttons if we like to.

GreetingsFromPoland

i still think the option of X number of placeholder buttons would be a nice addition. i know the hamburger is there but look at how much toolbar space is wasted.
Image-003.png
Image-003.png (1.86 KiB) Viewed 649 times
it is a shame to let that space to waste. placeholder buttons would allow us to put frequently used CTBs right where they are needed the most.

currently in software :
Image-001.png
Image-001.png (1.51 KiB) Viewed 649 times
what i use in other software (you can see administrative command prompt button) :
Image-002.png
Image-002.png (3.03 KiB) Viewed 649 times
doing this saves me from having to go into my hamburger menu. i am trying to use more keyboard shortcuts but with disability that becomes much harder.

GreetingsFromPoland

hi developer ! would it be possible to try up to three special "spacer" buttons in a beta build to see how it is received ?

the hamburger menu is incredible to use but there are still those few commands that would be nice to have "right there" and not with extra clicks in a menu or moving mouse up to the top and then back down again.

everything is so customizable i think this would be a success also.

eil

Post by eil »

While i do understand you want exactly buttons on that bar, just wanna mention that via CEA you can make scripted dropdown popup menu that can be called by clicking anywhere on Breadcrumb bar.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

GreetingsFromPoland

thank you for your reply. i may have to consider doing this.

when i search these forums for ideas, features and wishes i get exhausted seeing most everything end with "script it". not everyone can do that or is good or has the time to experiment. it is incredibly powerful and probably only fully used by a handful of current users. the rest of us dabble in small scripts or GUI changes.

sometimes i think it would be more powerful and customizable to just be able to things completely in the GUI. add a button here, there, etc. maybe some future work can be done on that instead of "scripting got a new command" updates (that will get me in trouble with developer).

eil

Post by eil »

Scripting is one the Most Superb features of this file manager, giving users a power to not wait, but personally create. There is a rule of desire: if one Really Needs that new function/ability, reading help file and making it possible is definitely worth time spend to learn how to do it; if it's "too bothersome", then feature is not such a big deal and may wait for maybe it gets popular demand for dev to spend time on it.
I said this as one who knew nothing about scripting before XY, and right now use several features that don't exist and would never be added in any file manager.

GreetingsFromPoland

i agree with you about the power of the scripting in this software. i try an experiment in 4 other file managers that support dual pane. the experiment ? the title. i also go into each without reading the help and do the steps blindly.

all 4 results are the same. right-click on toolbar, edit, drag button from list and click OK. that's it. in this software for simple things like this i have to now learn more acronyms like CEA, where to go next, how to make script work and then see it is popup. this is no different than the hamburger menu that i use now, i don't need another one. i just to customize this as a toolbar, which apparently it is not. my screenshot is probably similar to others in size. there is a lot of space and potential there because most of the commands are needed working between the panes and the buttons would be right there.

i use this software as my file manager as there are numerous features (too many to count) that others don't have. i just mention that maybe a little focus on basics would be well received.

eil

Post by eil »

GreetingsFromPoland wrote: 22 Nov 2022 14:13all 4 results are the same. right-click on toolbar, edit, drag button from list and click OK. that's it. in this software for simple things like this i have to now learn more acronyms like CEA, where to go next, how to make script work and then see it is popup. this is no different than the hamburger menu that i use now, i don't need another one. i just to customize this as a toolbar, which apparently it is not.
You grasped the answer - that is not a toolbar, and Toolbar is exactly simply edited as you described in other file mangers. Considering your point that so much empty space, well, there are much more "empty line spaces" in interface(like when viewing paper folders), but they are not meant for buttons to be there. Breadcrumbs is basically an alternative Address Bar, nothing more.(at least for now)
Though again, i'm not against your suggestion, just pointing why this wish has little chance to pass and who knows what dev may consider.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

If anything were to be done with the breadcrumb bar, I'd like to see the capability of having the address bar stacked with the BC bar as you currently can with the Toolbar. The toolbar is much more likely to use every bit of the horizontal space without the Address bar, but the breadcrumb bar typically does not and would make better use of the space on today's wider monitors.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440