Remove the selection from the tree to see the color filter

Features wanted...
LittleBiG

Remove the selection from the tree to see the color filter

Post by LittleBiG »

I use color filters in the tree. My problem is that the colors are covered by the selection rectangle, even if it is not focused. There is a really small part at the end of the selection where the color filter background color sticks out, but far from being enough for a visual check. (At least in case of the list you can click on white to remove the selection from the focused item, so the color can be seen clearly, but nothing similar is possible for the tree.)

I would ask for a solution: not to show the selection rectangle at all (when TPT is on, which could seem radical, but think about it, TPT with the mark always clearly shows where I am in the tree, regardless if the focus is on the tree or not). Or at least a possibility not to show the selection rectangle when the tree is not focused. Or only underlining.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Remove the selection from the tree to see the color filter

Post by admin »

I don't like the solution. And I don't think it's such a big problem. Color Filters are mainly for quickly finding certain nodes. When you are on it, you already found it.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

The need came with the new "contains" color filter. Before that I didn't care too. Now it would be good to look at the tree and see immediately which folders contain those specific files, current folder included.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can use shapes (Configuration | Colors and Styles | Color Filters | Draw background colors in distinctive shapes, or the shape switch s).

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

admin wrote: 31 Aug 2022 16:25 You can use shapes (Configuration | Colors and Styles | Color Filters | Draw background colors in distinctive shapes, or the shape switch s).
Yeah I have it, but it doesn't help as I have more file types with more colors, so the color matters not the filter type. Nevermind, although I think, removing the selection when the tree is not focused is not evil at all, visually. I could make the background white, but it still covers the color. Example of a non focused tree:
Attachments
2022-08-31_16h28_30_mod.png
2022-08-31_16h28_30_mod.png (7.24 KiB) Viewed 426 times

Evolve

Post by Evolve »

It also looks ugly and doesn't make any sense with both TPT and Full Row Select turned ON: it removes the left portion of highlighting anyway which is the exact area where you'll probably be clicking when the Tree is arranged to the right of the List.
RightTree.png
RightTree.png (5.59 KiB) Viewed 369 times
------------
In case it wasn't convincing enough...
FullRow_TPT.png
FullRow_TPT.png (8.34 KiB) Viewed 360 times
------------
How about a tweak?
; Tweak: 0 = No Highlighting, 1 = Selection Box (Default), 2 = Focus Rectangle
TreeSelectionHighlight=2
TPT.png
TPT.png (4.35 KiB) Viewed 369 times
TPT_FullRow.png
TPT_FullRow.png (4.32 KiB) Viewed 369 times
TPT_CF.png
TPT_CF.png (4.5 KiB) Viewed 369 times
TPT_FullRow_CF.png
TPT_FullRow_CF.png (4.51 KiB) Viewed 369 times
PS Focus Rectangle is just an idea, I would actually go with 0 disabling it completely. I agree that TPT by itself is enough, the highlighting is overkill.

Evolve

Post by Evolve »

Also, why do some "Favorite Folders" (don't even know what it is) have monopoly on boldness? I'd rather use it for the selected folder as I do for tabs.
Configuration | Tabs and Panes | Tabs | [x] Make selected tab bold
bold.png
bold.png (2.9 KiB) Viewed 341 times