Recycle Bin?

Features wanted...
Creat

Post by Creat »

well this is sort of related so I didn't open another thread:
I often want to empty the recycle bin, and I'd apperciate an icon that I can put on the toolbar that accomplished exactly that.
Also another nice feature would be, if the icon could change so it reflects the state of the recycle bin (full/empty). Currently there is no way (that I know of) in XY to see that (except the "show stats" menu entry, which is just as much 'work' as emptying it).

An icon to open it wouldn't be a bad idea either, I think :)

thanks
Creat

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

aimy wrote:But it still surprised me a lot that this among the best File Explorer I've ever seen did not show it in the TREE! :?

Sorry to mention this.. But even the freeware A43 got Recycle Bin in the display.. 8)
I still don't understand how you're not seeing it in the tree! It's always showed on mine, and I can open it within a tab, just that the file names shown are the 'internal' ones, but all the file details are shown...because it's such a non-"normal" folder, having to handle it differently wouldn't bother me enough to not use a product as great as XY.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

surrender

Post by surrender »

JC is right, it does show all the time in tree and one RB for each drive. You will see it only if you have checked the "Show hidden files and folders" in the config.
But I guess there is some misunderstanding here. I think what aimy means is RB does not show below the Nethood like in windows explorer or other file managers.

Personally, I dont care much about RB. But maybe newbies who migrate from explorer or other file managers find it difficult to locate RB. Technically speaking XYplorer is spot on because it shows RB in the location it really exists on the physical drive and does not artifically show RB in a false location (like other file managers). But then, XY gives exceptional status to the desktop, my documents and nethood. Maybe one more exception for recycle bin can be made.

aimy

Post by aimy »

surrender wrote:JC is right, it does show all the time in tree and one RB for each drive. You will see it only if you have checked the "Show hidden files and folders" in the config.
But I guess there is some misunderstanding here. I think what aimy means is RB does not show below the Nethood like in windows explorer or other file managers.

Personally, I dont care much about RB. But maybe newbies who migrate from explorer or other file managers find it difficult to locate RB. Technically speaking XYplorer is spot on because it shows RB in the location it really exists on the physical drive and does not artifically show RB in a false location (like other file managers). But then, XY gives exceptional status to the desktop, my documents and nethood. Maybe one more exception for recycle bin can be made.
Thanks again dude! You got it right!

And you even solve the misunderstanding.. Coz I was about to paste this screenshot.. Well I will post it anyway..

So, as you can see, there is no conventional RECYLE BIN shown in the left pane..

Yeah, I know that each drive has RECYCLED hidden folder but that is not what I want.. Furthermore, I have 8 drives altogether! :?

aimy

Post by aimy »

Btw.. can you guys please help me on this..

How do I set XYplorer so that it WILL NOT DISPLAY THE LAST OPENED FOLDER instead I want it to open the HOME FOLDER everytime I restart it.

Thank you.

surrender

Post by surrender »

Go to tool>config>General and uncheck "save settings on exit".
Now set the required tabs you need to home and save this setting (file>configuration file>save configuration).
Now everytime you restart you will have those homed tabs unchanged.

aimy

Post by aimy »

surrender wrote:Go to tool>config>General and uncheck "save settings on exit".
Now set the required tabs you need to home and save this setting (file>configuration file>save configuration).
Now everytime you restart you will have those homed tabs unchanged.
I see.. thanks..

So, is that means SETTINGS is actually refers to the last opened folder instead of CONFIGURATIONS? Or is it BOTH?? :?

surrender

Post by surrender »

I never had to think too much about config or settings because i have it on "save on exit" from day 1 and never played with it. But I think save settings in the config (F9) and save config under file menu mean the same. Settings is part of config (the .ini file in the XY app folder) and just that one is automatic and other is manual way of saving your settings. If you move or add toolbars, or set color filters etc then all this will be lost if your dont save your settings.

I normally use alt+home which is the easiest way to get home. But maybe Don can give us one shortcut key to set all tabs to home in one go.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Creat wrote:Also another nice feature would be, if the icon could change so it reflects the state of the recycle bin (full/empty).
Too heavy background work. And not that important to know in my opinion (and my opinion rules :wink: ).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Personally, I beginning to think with the Tools listed (one of which I'd forgotten about as I don't go into RB that often) there is adequate or enough support for RB currently...but...if one could do a preview of files in RB with "true" file names to find the one that you wanted to recover, that would be an improvement, though I can do it now with a tiny bit of effort.
Yes, I also think a standard RB would be welcomed by newbies and is indeed an expected feature for a file manager (although I never use it). I added it to the roadmap. :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Creat wrote:An icon to open it wouldn't be a bad idea either, I think :)
You have it now. :)

Creat

Post by Creat »

admin wrote:
Creat wrote:An icon to open it wouldn't be a bad idea either, I think :)
You have it now. :)
yay! wonderful, thanx :D
Creat

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Reactivating this old thread as it deals with the same issue (sort of):
surrender wrote:Personally, I dont care much about RB. But maybe newbies who migrate from explorer or other file managers find it difficult to locate RB. Technically speaking XYplorer is spot on because it shows RB in the location it really exists on the physical drive and does not artifically show RB in a false location (like other file managers).
Given that a RB is on each drive, how does one go about deleting a file from a thumb drive's RB? I found that I had a 4MB file in the thumb's RB, and thus drive didn't have enough room for a new file (as I understood it), but as XY view of RB is read only, I was unable to delete it...so I tried some other methods...well, two others (JDisk, Treesize) showed the same thing at drive level, but their folder view of RB is same as WinExpl, which did NOT show this particular file in RB...it only showed C:\ files....so now what? :?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Reactivating this old thread as it deals with the same issue (sort of):
surrender wrote:Personally, I dont care much about RB. But maybe newbies who migrate from explorer or other file managers find it difficult to locate RB. Technically speaking XYplorer is spot on because it shows RB in the location it really exists on the physical drive and does not artifically show RB in a false location (like other file managers).
Given that a RB is on each drive, how does one go about deleting a file from a thumb drive's RB? I found that I had a 4MB file in the thumb's RB, and thus drive didn't have enough room for a new file (as I understood it), but as XY view of RB is read only, I was unable to delete it...so I tried some other methods...well, two others (JDisk, Treesize) showed the same thing at drive level, but their folder view of RB is same as WinExpl, which did NOT show this particular file in RB...it only showed C:\ files....so now what? :?
Yes, I'm bleedingly aware of the necessity to add the RB special folder per drive. It's on my list.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

But even with the current XY limitations, it was still able to show me exactly why the thumb drive was "full" and what the BMP file causing the issue contained via preview...now just looking for a way to kill that file!