Preview Pane toggle button in Status Bar

Features wanted...
Evolve

Preview Pane toggle button in Status Bar

Post by Evolve »

I think it would be convenient to have a button that toggles the Preview Pane, identical to the one we have for the Info Panel.
PPToggle.png
PPToggle.png (1.63 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
PS (Independent of the button idea)
I think this should be duplicated in Status Bar context menu, the first place where I was looking for it
Window | Show Status Bar Buttons
It's confusing that you can show/hide Breadcrumb Bar buttons this way but nos Status Bar buttons.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Preview Pane toggle button in Status Bar

Post by admin »

Actually I'm thinking about removing that button. If you press it, it will jump away from the mouse, which is a silly experience.

Evolve

Post by Evolve »

I think it's very common and intuitive enough
1PpUfUIbg8.gif
1PpUfUIbg8.gif (24.72 KiB) Viewed 1049 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I will keep it. After all you can hide it (Window | Show Status Bar Buttons).

But I had a cute idea for (additional) alternative approach... next beta.

Evolve

Post by Evolve »

Code: Select all

v23.50.0001 - 2022-08-09 18:10
    + Status Bar: Now you can left-button-drag the Status Bar left/right to open/close the 
      Preview Pane. The action is fired when you drag more than 8 pixels horizontally.
      - If "Window | Arrangement | Preview Pane to the Left" is ticked then of course you 
        drag to the right to open the pane, and to the left to close it.
      - You can undo/redo the last action while the mouse is held down, so you can quickly 
        open and close the Preview Pane by a slick mouse move (or finger move if you have 
        a touch screen).
It's super cool for the Preview Pane! But I'm afraid I'm gonna be missliding it accidentally up. Plus I'm used to the button, can you completely disable it sliding up/down if the button ^ is currently in the Status Bar?
PS: And also, it should block activation of CEA | Left-click on status bar
-----
Or maybe a tweak: 0 no sliding 1 PP 2 SB 3 PP+SB
I already have the button and my CEA Double-Click on Status Bar also opens the Info Panel (always forget about it so I leave the button anyway). I don't need the third one. Plus there will always be users who don't like some particular feature no matter how cool it is. There should be a way to disable it.
PPS: But the left-right swap opening PP is really, really cool! I never downloaded a beta that fast after reading the description :D

Evolve

Post by Evolve »

Evolve wrote: 09 Aug 2022 18:40 PS: And also, it should block activation of CEA | Left-click on status bar
And what I meant by that is when I release LMB after dragging, it not only opens/closes PP but also activates CEA | Left-click on status bar. Sorry for a poor explanation, I was probably too excited to go into the details. :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'll fix that CEA thing, but I don't see why I should add a way to totally disable the feature. How would anybody by accident click and drag the status bar?

mumajs

Post by mumajs »

I like the new feature. It is cool!

Evolve

Post by Evolve »

admin wrote: 09 Aug 2022 20:45 but I don't see why I should add a way to totally disable the feature. How would anybody by accident click and drag the status bar?
Following this logic the next step should be removing of the entire page Configuration | Safety Belts
Disallow left-dragging from folder tree - How would anybody by accident left-drag something from the tree
Dissallow left-draggin from the list - How would anybody by accident ...

PS: And don't forget, we're talking here about the control freak who convinced you to make the locked tree even more locked so the nodes wouldn't get collapsed by accident :biggrin:

Horst

Post by Horst »

I don't see how any casual user will ever find such hidden features without reading the forum.
Why not a simple button in the status bar as original requested.
Everyone will see it and there would be no special actions needed to use it.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Acc. to Evolve he will find it by accident. :)

I will add toggles to turn the feature on/off. Such options also advertise the feature. I will put them in the status bar context menu. (Which again nobody will find :titter: )

Evolve

Post by Evolve »

I want to disable only up-down part, there is already too many ways to open the Info Panel, but I love the left-right part

Code: Select all

;Tweak: disallow left-dragging in Status Bar, 0=Allow All, 1=Preview Pane, 2=Info Pannel , 3=PP+IP
StatusBarDisallowDragging=0
admin wrote: 10 Aug 2022 08:39 I will add toggleS
Having this reread after a coffee injection, now I see it's plural, :) so there will be a way to only partially disable it, cool!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep. :)
Attachments
2022-08-10_093948.png
2022-08-10_093948.png (7.07 KiB) Viewed 961 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What about adding the same swipe actions to the breadcrumb bar? Could mean shorter mouse movements.

Evolve

Post by Evolve »

I think the toolbar button "Show Preview Pane" pretty much covers this top area.
What Breadcrumb Bar really deserves is a major feature i.e. to become integrated with the Address Bar one way or the other.