Folder thumbnails

Features wanted...
Theodecarvalho

Folder thumbnails

Post by Theodecarvalho »

Hi,

Im upgraded to windows 11, and lose the thumbnail folder feature, very important to me. So, im looking for a 3rd party file mananger.

My structure is something like that:

[Folder]
-- Files inside:
---------------------------------
- [Object from client X]
-- Image A.jpg
-- Image B.jpg
-- Object from client X.PSD
-- Object from client X.jpg

- [Another object]
-- Image A.jpg
-- Image B.jpg
-- Another object.psd
-- Another object.jpg

The most important image its thumbnail of what im working in it. I found in an older post that I need to rename to folder.jpg. Well, for me not working. I need to keep PSD and JPG the same for technical reasons.

Thats why I ask: Is there a way to select the image that will be the thumb of the folder? or (maybe better) select the image that has the same name of the folder to be its thumbnail?

highend

Re: Folder thumbnails

Post by highend »

Create symlinks to folder.jpg or use a desktop.ini file...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Theodecarvalho

Post by Theodecarvalho »

But, due technical reasons, I need to keep jpg and psd file same name. Besides, I have 100k folders organized. Its impossible to rename everything.

this desktop.ini can address the jpeg file?

highend

Post by highend »

Creating a symlink does not rename anything and ofc, the desktop.ini supports .jpg for the Logo= value

Theodecarvalho

Post by Theodecarvalho »

highend wrote: 17 Jul 2022 12:46 Creating a symlink does not rename anything and ofc, the desktop.ini supports .jpg for the Logo= value
I dont said that symlink will rename my files.

I mean: I´ll need to rename everything manually to folder.jpg? Is there a way to a folder see thumbnail from .jpg name? Similarity, for example...

Like: Hey, Xplorer, please use for thumbnail the jpg with same name that the folder. And bam! I dont need to change nothing, and automatically I choose my priority for thumbnail.

highend

Post by highend »

No, there is no similarity (name) detection for pictures to choose as the folder thumbnail

Theodecarvalho

Post by Theodecarvalho »

Thanks.

If you decide to implement this as an option, Im gonna buy one. It´s very important to my workflow.

Meanwhile, keep searching... :(

Cheers.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

I don't know if this helps or not, but by default XYplorer will use the very first image you have listed in a folder as that folder's thumbnail if no "folder.jpg" or "desktop.ini" file is found. Obviously "Show folder thumbnails" in Configuration has to be checked.

If that would not help, I have scripts that will run through a folder's subfolders and automatically create a folder.jpg by looking at the images in each subfolder or you can select the image that you want to use as the folder's folder.jpg. You can hide the folder.jpg files using ghost filter.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Theodecarvalho wrote: 17 Jul 2022 12:59 Like: Hey, Xplorer, please use for thumbnail the jpg with same name that the folder. And bam! I dont need to change nothing, and automatically I choose my priority for thumbnail.
Sounds like a reasonable idea. I'll see if I can work that in.

Done. Next beta...

Theodecarvalho

Post by Theodecarvalho »

klownboy wrote: 17 Jul 2022 14:41 I don't know if this helps or not, but by default XYplorer will use the very first image you have listed in a folder as that folder's thumbnail if no "folder.jpg" or "desktop.ini" file is found. Obviously "Show folder thumbnails" in Configuration has to be checked.

If that would not help, I have scripts that will run through a folder's subfolders and automatically create a folder.jpg by looking at the images in each subfolder or you can select the image that you want to use as the folder's folder.jpg. You can hide the folder.jpg files using ghost filter.
The problem is, I have some textures with names in each folder. Sometimes my thumbnail is the first one. But, if my project is called "Zanon", for example. Then the thumbnail starts with Z too... And the textures is always in front.

I think I have a half million folders like this. I cant rename or duplicate. Select one by one is impossible.

Btw, thanks for comment.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Try the latest beta version.

Theodecarvalho

Post by Theodecarvalho »

admin wrote: 18 Jul 2022 10:57 Try the latest beta version.
omg !!!!! Works like a charm! You got a sell. You deserve it.

BTW, just I little bug: Works with .JPG (most of my cases) but dont work with .PNG files. I´ll search and report another tests / observations in my library.

----------------------------
Works: JPG
Dont work : PNG | JPEG
----------------------------

Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PNG works fine here. Check again...

Theodecarvalho

Post by Theodecarvalho »

Worked now... But another folder wont.

Is there some "refresh"? Maybe its something like this...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

View | Caches | Refresh Thumbnails
View | Caches | Refresh Selected Thumbnails